Upper & Lower Helldorado.... Closed???

jp008

Holy Sh!t is this true?

I just got an e-mail from a mailing list that I am on. Please read up. This sucks :eek:
The guy that posted this lives in Moab. I am in awe.........I love that place.

>>>Hey guys, speaking of Moab and EJS, I thought I'd pass on some rotten news I
heard today. The Helldorado trails have been closed. The trails were on
State school trust lands, and a large parcel (which includes the Heldorado
trails and possibly part of the Strike Ravine trail) was sold to a private
individual who apparently wants to build a home on the land. Apparently the
new owner has posted the area.
>>>

gtidrivr

I for one, have a really hard time believing that someone purchased that land to build a house on...unless its dan mick, and he can have his own personal training course for the tourists :D but i suppose all of us going on turkey day will find out whats really true,no?

but i hope thats not the case :(

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I haven't been able to find the map I wanted, but here is a link to one that shows some of the School Trust Lands around Moab, they are the blue color:

http://www.utahtrustlands.com/development/images/projects/kensmap.jpg

I haven't been able to find the Helldorado area on any of the current or past lists of lands that are for sale, but from the map it looks like the area might be School Trust Lands.

Here's another map that shows trust lands in the Helldorado Area:

http://www.mapspecifics.com/UT/Images/UTOwnerWeb.pdf (warning: its a fairly big one).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
gtidrivr said:
I for one, have a really hard time believing that someone purchased that land to build a house on...unless its dan mick, and he can have his own personal training course for the tourists....

I just sent a email to Dan, he'd be the Man who would know whats up. Hopefully he'll respond & we'll see what the next step is, if there is one.

Too Far

parts is parts
The entrance to lower helldorado has been blocked and a sign put up. It left me scratching my head at the time. I sure hope it isn't closed for good.

74cruzah

Upper and Lower Helldorado closed??

Heard a bad rumor that some enviro lady bought the land or the access to it and closed it down or at least blocked access. Does anyone have any more information about it?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
74cruzah said:
Heard a bad rumor that some enviro lady bought the land or the access to it and closed it down or at least blocked access. Does anyone have any more information about it?
There is a thread about this in the Land use forum, with all the latest available info.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
From a post on Pirate4x4 on the topic:
I think this post from RRO on a suzuki list sums it up pretty well:

----
Bad news for Moab.

Somehow an evironmentalist purchased the property containing Lower
Helldorado, Upper Helldorado, and the entrance to Coyote. These were 3
new trails in Moab that offered some serious fun for serious
rockcrawlers. This woman has now closed these trails forever.

No one is sure how it happened or how it snuck under the radar. The RR4W
were taken by surprise as well as the 'keeper's of the watch for
Southern Utah trails. It is possible old mining claims were involved and
somehow manipulated to allow this. I heard about this at the SEMA show
last week. I was in Moab over the weekend, but did not make a trip out
there to check it out and see what closure signs exist. I did see Kevin
Hawkins (the guy responsible for pretty much every new hardcore trail in
the Moab area), but didn't get a chance to speak to him on this.

This represents a serious change in tactic for Wilderness Nazis.

The Proving Grounds is also being closed due to new home developement in
the area.
----

I had been given a clue that the owner may not be willing to open the area, now I know what he means.

RR4W are looking into options, but I was also told that the RS2477 will not help in this case. (They already looked into that.)

I really think we need to start buying lands like this. I had no idea it was private land. Looking at some of the maps around Moab, this school trusts own a LOT of land in the area. I'm a poor boy, but more then willing to donate some cash to a land fund!

-Wayne

This really sucks. This kind of stuff needs to stop happening NOW!

I think the last part of this post has an interesting idea. What if we started some kind of group and bought up some of the land down there? Gather enough money through donations to start out. Once trails were developed and set, maybe a small fee to help with the payoff and maintenance of the land.

I can't beleive this is happening this way. Maybe we can dig up some information on these people and... -_-

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Herzog said:
.... What if we started some kind of group and bought up some of the land down there? ...

Hahaha...

Unfortunatly, we can't even get people to join a landuse club for $25 a year... The U4WDA has done alot of work with our local trails considering the budget... The Blue Ribbon Coalition is another example... the U4WDA funnels alot of $$$ to them, they provide the legal resources and legwork... but still interest is low....

The CA4WD is HUGe compared to U4WDA... and therefor they can buy land, etc....

That being said... not gonna happen til' I'm a millionair (hopefully within 2 years)