Silver Lake - AF canyon

Kevin B.

Big hippy
This trail seems to get skipped over in discussions of wheeling in AF canyon. Can I safely construe that this means it's boring, and easily handled by my friend's stock Durango?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Which route are you specifically referring to? There are two trails above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir, Milmaid and Upper Major Evans. Milkmaid is short but scenic and UMEG is very neat, it is gated at private property just as you enter the actual gulch.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Um... Milkmaid, I guess. I thought MEG was one canyon over?

It is, but a road switchbacks up the east face and drops into the head of Major Evans Gulch and in fact goes all the way to the the ridge line below the American Fork Twins looking down into Mary Ellen Gulch. However as noted this route is private property and is gated. I know I don't need to tell you but we always need to respect private property. Vandals have messed with their gate in the past :(

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Ok, I confused myself. The trail into Silver Lake itself is specifically what I was referring to, but I just found a trail map (hopefully current) that says that's hiking only between Silver Lake Flat and Silver Lake.

Was that ever open to vehicles, or is this guy talking about Milkmaid (5th paragraph)?

And who is responsible for two MEGs in there??? That caused a good minute of headscratching.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ok, I confused myself. The trail into Silver Lake itself is specifically what I was referring to, but I just found a trail map (hopefully current) that says that's hiking only between Silver Lake Flat and Silver Lake.

Was that ever open to vehicles, or is this guy talking about Milkmaid (5th paragraph)?

And who is responsible for two MEGs in there??? That caused a good minute of headscratching.

No, the hiking trail to Silver Lake and Silver Glance have never been open to vehicles, its possible that a quad or dirtbike could run them but doubtful? The Milkmaid 4x4 route will get you as close to Silver Lake as any other.

The link is referring to the Upper Major Evans Gulch route. Not sure why they even mentioned Silver Lake?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
THen what's UMEG:confused:

Alright, time for the crayons :p

Upper Major Evans Gulch

You cannot connect Upper Major Evans Gulch with Lower Major Evans Gulch (both of which constitute Major Evans Gulch). A route was rumored years ago but we've hiked it and it just doesn't exist.

You get to Upper by passing Silver Lake Flat Reservoir and climbing the switchbacks. You get to Lower by passing Graveyard Flats and turning up the Gulch. Clear as mud?

jdub

Scrambler
Other than:
Mary Ellen Gulch
Forest Lake
Mineral Basin

Is there anything else up there that would be a must do? Or more specific, is there anything as challenging as the three mentioned in the area? Miller Hill?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
No, the hiking trail to Silver Lake and Silver Glance have never been open to vehicles, its possible that a quad or dirtbike could run them but doubtful? The Milkmaid 4x4 route will get you as close to Silver Lake as any other.

The link is referring to the Upper Major Evans Gulch route. Not sure why they even mentioned Silver Lake?

See, and googlemaps (which is no kind of authority, i know) shows a road between Silver Lake Flat and Silver Lake, too, which is what threw me.

So. Milkmaid. Tame enough for a guy with a stock 4wd and an aversion to body damage, or should we look elsewhere?

I apologize for being ignorant, but I haven't ever driven the offroad trails up there and I'm hoping to avoid spending the day driving from trailhead to trailhead looking for something he won't balk at.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Miller Hill offers little in the sense of challenge, though it makes up for it imo in scenery. Milkmaid and UMEG would qualify as the same, little challenge but scenery galore.

jdub

Scrambler
I've completed the three trails I mentioned but haven't experienced anything like this photo shows, is this off trail or somewhere I haven't been yet?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 57