Jeep JK Unlimited "Transformer" 6.2L "LS3" GM build

jpndave

At Greg's request, I have decided to start a build thread for my 2007 JK unlimited. This project shows quite a "Transformation" and that will make more sense later on.

The starting point is a Low mileage, clean title 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2WD. The end will be VERY different. Here is photo as it showed up.
Start1080-1.jpg

At this point I should give a little history of myself. I have been involved with Jeeps since the late 80's and have built up several other vehicles.

I purchased a new frame from Jeep and the necessary parts to bring the front end back up to spec. A short shafted and adapted HMMVW (H1 Hummer) 242 Transfer case will be used. Plans for this project include a 6.2L L92 GM engine with multiple additional power parts along with the 6L80 6 speed auto transmission adapted to the 242. Teraflex has been great and I am using their 3 inch Elite LCG Long Arm Kit. Some of my favorite pieces are the taillights and fuel filler, which I'll get a picture of later. Axles will be a quick Currie centered 9 inch front mated to stock outer with the stock rear for now (which will be for sale after the new set is ready) and then some more extreme fabricated axles at both ends including 35 spline shafts. 1350 driveshafts connect both ends. 4.10 gearing should give the best of both worlds due to the extreme spread of gearing in the transmission and 500+ horsepower should be enough to move it around comfortably and hopefully better mileage than the stock V6 had.

So, for the story on the theme. My three year old saw a local postal deliver JK which is yellow and decided that our Jeep should be “Bumblebee”. After a little consideration, I thought, why not? I like the yellow JKs better than the other colors, it will basically have the Camaro's "heart" why not go that route? So, color is the exact color of the movie car, House Of Kolor “Sunrise Yellow”. The stripes were painted on along with the rest of the paint job by Wolford’s in Logan (who I highly recommend!). I did the body work.

Here are a few progress photos.

A shot of the empty engine bay
EngineBay1080.jpg

Engine mount prior to welding
EngineMount1080.jpg

Engine in the engine bay. I have added the LS3 intake, Camaro pan (for clearance), Meziere electric pump for increased power and cooling, Superdamper, KRC pump, Competition Cams cam, engine coatings and some other minor mods. I am planning on a dyno tune when things are up and running. I did the harness and computer. It will have a custom pulley system. This is just set in and not permanent. Wiring, plumbing, etc. is yet to be completed. I decided to go with AN braided lines on everything after mocking up this way.
62LEngineL921080.jpg

This shows the underside with the Lizard Skin coating. Multiple coats of this stuff both the sound control and the ceramic were sprayed on inside and out, inside all the doors and under the hood. We’ll see if it is as cool as they say it is.
LizardskinSoundproofing1080.jpg

Here are a few full shot showing some of the progress.

During assembly

HoodDetail1080.jpg

Bumblebee1080.jpg

Side1080.jpg

Progress lately has been very slow a Clavicle repair surgery I am recovering from. However, the clavicle is feeling much better so I hope to have this running in the next couple of weeks. Then, the fine tuning can begin.

Two new photos. Sorry, it's a bit dusty but I wanted to show the taillight and fuel filler detail. Also, notice the filled in doors (no mirrors) in the photos above.
JKtail1.jpg

The taillights are from Off Road Only and are super sweet pieces.
JKtail2.jpg

Here are the heads, just back from machining and ready to be coated then installed. Notice the 823 casting number :)
10Feb20112.jpg

Engine bay a little empty without heads but you can see the "insides" of a Gen 4 GM V8. This one has the VVT but no DOD.
10Feb20115.jpg

Stainless Battery Box, ECM mount and Power Center mount. Still needs the billet hold-down:
10Feb20111.jpg

VVT Cam Phazer with limiter installed to accomodate the new cam:
JK-Engine-1.gif

Coated Combustion Chambers:
JK-Engine-2.gif

Coated new Comp Cams cam on top, stock cam (with a little practice blasting) on the bottom:
Cam.gif

Engine Bay - Finally making some progress!
Eng-4.gif

Front Cover Showing the VVT solenoid:
Camcover2.jpg

Headers Merge collector. These were added to both headers as they are smaller (for clearance), transition the exhaust into the collector much more smoothly and increase power, mileage and efficiency. I had to custom fab these as the JK engine mounts and the headers were just touching the frame on the right side. While I was in there, I did a few "upgrades". The headers are welded and ready to coat. I'll post a photo of the full complete headers in a bit. The exhaust is 1 3/4" primaries to 2 1/5" dual exhaust through SS cats and then a "Y" into a single 3 1/2" pipe through an Aeroturbine muffler and out the back. I completed these with less than 100lbs. of Argon to spare on Saturday!
MergeCollector.jpg

Headers w/cats:
Headers1.jpg

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I like everything except for the sick feeling I got when first reading the title, thinking you put in a 6.2L diesel. :eek:

I'm feeling much better now. :D

jpndave

OK, there is a limit of 20 photos per post so I'll continue here.

Here are a couple of photos of the radiator, fan and condenser. The radiators did not have the AN fittings or bottom cover plate but both could be ordered as options. I plan on using the bottom of the radiator to mount a power steering cooler and all the plumbing is AN.
RadiatorFan.jpg

RadiatorCondensor.jpg

Exhaust photos:
Exhaust5.jpg

Exhaust8.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

Here are two photos of the front axle nearly complete. You can see the line up bar in place and the outer knuckles ready to go in.
JK-Axle-rear-1.jpg

JK-Axle-front.jpg

Line up bar (sorry for the messy garage:sick:)
Line-Up.jpg

Here's one from a bit ago of the engine bay showing the filter and water pump. The pump will be on the right frame rail. I needed to get the axle done to make sure that there was no interference at full bump.
Filter.jpg

Water manifold and pulleys.
Water-pump-manifold-and-pul.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Rahaim

I just registered on this forum for this thread alone.

Awesome looking build. Am a GM guy (Camaros and Vettes) and dream of replacing the anemic 3.7 in my JK X Unlimited w/ a SBC LSx. Will be eagerly watching the progress of this very cool build.

Good luck!

jpndave

I added a couple of detail pictures of the taillights and fuel filler. The rest of my steering gear parts showed up today from PSC so that can be assembled.

Thanks for the compliments.

jpndave

That is the only way would fit and be the same on both sides due to the tailgate hinge. The tailight is completely sealed, so I am certain safety is not an issue. I will need to be careful about dripping fuel on the light (paint too for that matter) but otherwise, there won't be any issues.

Last edited:

neagtea

Supporting Member
Where did you source the filler?
I used one like that a few years ago but the guy I bought it from has disappeared.
Love the paint

*jrwiii*

I check this thread all of the time for updates. I am interested to know the ins and outs of what you are doing along with many others watching here. It would be nice to know the trials that you face and how you are going to overcome them. Many of us are sitting on the fence about wether to Supercharge, hemi swap or GM swap our jk's. I like many others prefer the GM route and am anxiously watching this thread.

jpndave

The heads are at Horsepowerfarm right now, I am going to bump the compression 1/2 point to 11:1 and ceramic coat the combustion chambers, valves, intake and exhaust. I am waiting on the machine work to reassemble the engine. We have been very busy at work and my JK time has been compromised lately. I have the SS battery box completed and am doing odds and ends of assembly. A new pulley system is almost done and a fuel pressure adapter for the fuel tank. I'll try and find a few more photos.

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

I check this thread all of the time for updates. I am interested to know the ins and outs of what you are doing along with many others watching here. It would be nice to know the trials that you face and how you are going to overcome them. Many of us are sitting on the fence about wether to Supercharge, hemi swap or GM swap our jk's. I like many others prefer the GM route and am anxiously watching this thread.

I agree. I'm loving this build but am left waiting for updates.

Something that you may be able to shed some light on is what you've found out about swapping a GM engine into a chrysler vehicle. I used to hear that the engine just had to be newer than the vehicle, but now you hear that it has to be from the same vehicle make as well. Can you, or anybody else open this dialog? Maybe this would be better for it's own chitchat thread.

Thoughts?

jpndave

It is the same year or newer vehicle, not same make. The same make is a marketing ploy. It boils down to what the local station requires. Generally (49 states, California is a whole different ball game) same year or newer engine and all emissions must be kept and operational, both engine (egr, pcv, etc.) and chassis (cats and vapor). The California crowd run into trouble on the exhaust manifolds as the GM pieces dump into the firewall and they need CARB numbers on any aftermarket parts.

On these newer engines, it is pretty much just the cats (along with the second pair of O2 sensors) and the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister, purge, etc.). This one will be emission legal even though we don't have emissions here in Cache county, yet. I have a pair of cats, all 4 O2 sensors and the purge and evap systems will be fully operational. The best thing is to check with the referee station you have to pass to see what they require.

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

Thanks for the info.

I'd like to drop a 6.0L GM into a WJ Grand Cherokee. I think that would be awesome. Just gotta sell the TJ first.

Your JK is just down right SICK. Lovin the build.