Questions on Converting Street Legal Dune Buggy into Crawler

Bucking Bronco

Is there any law that would keep me from purchasing an old street legal dune buggy (like one pictured) and placing the body parts onto a crawler chassis and driving it legally?

Attachments

• dune buggy.jpg
    dune buggy.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

metalry101

R/C addict
If your crawler chassis doesn't pass safety because of lift laws then I don't see how a new body is going to help. If it's legal, and all the lights, wipers, and other required safety items still work on the buggy body, I don't see why it wouldn't pass.

On thing to keep in mind...I doubt that body is going to cover the tires...you might need to rig some flares and/or mudflaps to get it to pass.

rholbrook

Steve, this brings back some great memories. We had one of these in a blue metallic that we built. It had 50's on the back and a hopped up motor. We bought the kit from Welch's Fun Cars off 5th or 6th south and about main if I remember. It was a riot to drive but would never wanted to get in a crash in one.

reddman

Fabber
Hell yeah! I've seen some licensed manx's that don't get hassled for rockin' around town on 35's. :greg:

To get away with it you probably wouldn't wanna push it any bigger than 35", and you would want to keep it on the lower side. But I think it could totally be done, register it with the body, as the Manx and have one bad ride.

A quick google search pulled up a couple cool ones:

Attachments

• manx.jpg
    manx.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 33
  • manx2.jpg
    manx2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 24

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
So far, I've yet to see anything here that would be "street legal" in this state. Yeah, it could be done, but not easily. All the problems we have now with tire coverage and bumper widths would apply to a buggy as well.

Bucking Bronco

So far, I've yet to see anything here that would be "street legal" in this state. Yeah, it could be done, but not easily. All the problems we have now with tire coverage and bumper widths would apply to a buggy as well.

The picture of the one I posted is street legal. I see them regularly. They don't have bumpers that are 4.5" wide and the fenders don't cover the tires.

Do they get away with it because they are old? (most in the 60s)

I don't see a difference in the one I put up and one with 35s as long as the frame height was not over legal limit.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The guys I know with those don't drive them on the road anymore, mainly because the bumper issue won't pass safety. I won't say you can't get it passed, but you'll be going through all the motions anyone of us here have to do.

The tire issue wouldn't come into play untill you lift it, which obviously you will have to. Although, technicaly it should make all of these pictured illegal because the larger tires are considered a lift. (cost me $40 to discover this little tid bit)

Mug

PHORmerly
The picture of the one I posted is street legal. I see them regularly. They don't have bumpers that are 4.5" wide and the fenders don't cover the tires.

Do they get away with it because they are old? (most in the 60s)

I think you have the right idea.

The ones you see on the road are most likely grandfathered from when they were allowed on the road like that. Not that they were built in the '60s, but because in, say the '80s some guy converted his bug to a buggy, and the title hasn't changed hands since.