GMC / Chevy Gasp - I want to remove lift kit on Suburban

B

Burb

I know this is odd for you, but I've just purchased a 2004 Chevy Suburban, K2500 (3/4 ton). It has a 6" Fab Tech lift kit on it, and I want to remove it. We pulled our trailer with it just once, and we were not happy nor did we feel safe in driving it with our 3yr old son in the vehicle.

I took it to 4-Wheel Parts today, who basically told me if I could find another Suburban owner that wanted to LIFT their vehicle, we could switch parts - he gets my lift kit and I get his factory parts back. Estimated cost for labor only is $700 ea vehicle. So you get a lift for $700!

I know it's a long shot, but thought I would post here in case any of you know someone that may fit that profile! Thanks for your help!

Debbie - SLC
thkshp@msn.com
801-520-1806

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Doesn't surprise me at all. Lifted IFS trucks are always "interesting" at best. If there's wear or other issues, you learn a lot about IFS fast. I've never quite converted and don't think I will.

Good luck with the swap

krany

kranberry
you have IFS on your burb. IFS is:
Independent
Front
Suspension
IFS suspension
131_0605_01_z+1991_ifs_chevy_silverado+front_view.jpg

solid front axle
1007or_18_+fabworx_solid_axle_swap_kit_1998_chevy_tahoe+chevy_front_axle.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
mbryson - What is IFS? Clearly I'm a newbie!

IFS=Independent Front Suspension

Chevy/GMC went to IFS on their pickup line in '88 with Full size SUVs/crew cabs following in 1992. Ford has had IFS in half tons since '81, with Dodge following in 2002. Ford and Dodge 3/4 and one ton trucks are still solid axle. The ride is a little better in the IFS trucks, but one could argue the simplicity of the solid axle makes up for the "decreased ride quality".

eh, six of one, half dozen of the other

ID Bronco

Would it fit my 2000 2500 burb? What issues do you have with it as far as the ride. I would have bags to tow with but what don't you like about it. How big are your tires now?

Chevycrew

If your 2000 suburban is the same body style as the black one shown above, then no it wont fit. If it is the newer body style it should fit. I dont remember the year break on burbans. I know the 2000 HD trucks were old style.

Would it fit my 2000 2500 burb? What issues do you have with it as far as the ride. I would have bags to tow with but what don't you like about it. How big are your tires now?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
alot of those chevy IFS lifts you have to cut off the stock mount for the front diff and makes putting them back to stock a nightmare to say the least it depends on who installed the lift and what kind of hack job they did

B

Burb

ID Bronco: ok, let me fess up. I'm a first-time 4x4 owner. We bought this 2004 Burb 3 wks ago to tow our new 30' trailer, 9600# weight...which it does well, but it gets squirrelly on the rough freeway roads here in Utah, which are always under construction.

We bought it from a guy who lifted it. He towed many types of trailers and hauled his family, too. But my wife and I (yep, I have a wife) have a 3.5 yr old son and we have never towed more than our old tent trailer. The "monster truck" as our son calls it is very difficult for him to get into. So there aren't real problems with it - it's our lack of experience and never having a desire to own a lifted truck that is the real issue. I'm more comfortable jumping out of a normal height vehicle onto the ice that will be here this winter. I think this is just a preference for us, not a problem.

The 4wheel parts dude told me it doesn't have to be a 2004 Burb, but has to have the same air-ride suspension. If you are interested, I can give you the number for the parts dude to talk details because I will only screw it up. I will post a picture of my truck if I can figure out how, too. Nope, photo is too big. Will try something else.

B

Burb

Skippy, they did mention the mount for the differential would need to be "fabricated". They have quoted me $3k to get this back to stock. Would I be better off just selling this and looking for a stock Burb? I need the 396/8.0L engine to pull my trailer, and the SUV is best for our family instead of a truck. This is the perfect vehicle except for the damn lift...

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
Sell it, get something more built for towing, cause you probably wont feel comfortable the way it tows a 30' trailer even if its put back to stock

mbryson

Supporting Member
Sell it, get something more built for towing, cause you probably wont feel comfortable the way it tows a 30' trailer even if its put back to stock

I'd not tow with a lifted Sub but I bet it could be done somewhat safely? I do to a 30' travel bumper pull trailer quite regularly. I had my F250, Excursion and now my Dodge tow it. I don't know why a 3/4 ton Sub couldn't handle the job or even a properly equipped 1/2 ton. The 1/2 ton, you'd want to tune it to tow, but I think it could do it if it was within the weight ratings of the tow vehicle. Personally, I'd prefer the bigger brakes of the 3/4 or one ton to tow, but if you crank up your brake controller and have a good weight dist. hitch/anti-sway I think you'd be "OK" to tow with a 1/2 ton. You'll likely be wishing for more truck, but you'd be "OK". I wouldn't go over 65 or so with that load and you'll really feel that trailer on the hills.

With that said, the travel trailer is a little more challenging to tow than the Jeep on the trailer that's at least 1,000 lbs heavier. The profile of the travel trailer is VERY noticeable, esp. in inclement weather vs. the Jeep on the trailer.

The original poster has a 3/4 ton Sub. They should be fine towing that trailer. The lift can cause some issues. I'd bet it could be made to work though.

Shoot me the picture you're trying to upload. I can't see it on FB either. I'll get it posted to this thread. marc.bryson@att.net

Last edited:
For those kind of dollars, I would sell and buy what you want. Suburbans are a commodity in Utah. I have had one of some flavor of tahoe/suburban in the driveway for over 20 years now.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Picture has arrived

I really think you could make that work, but understand not wanting the lift. Which engine does it have in it? I just caught your weight on your 30' trailer....9600#s is a LOT. What's the make/model of the travel trailer? If you're really 9600#, you may be better off with a turbo diesel something or other. Are you using the pictured hitch? If so, you'll want to look into a different hitch (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ is my personal preference but that's just another can of worms we don't need to open here). That'd make all the difference in sway and control while going down the road. With the gas motor, you'll likely not be pulling hills at 65, but should be in the 50 mph range?

Attachments

• Burb.jpg
    Burb.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

ID Bronco

My burb is the newer body style I think the same. Post a pic.

Pic showed up as I was typing this. Same body style. What size of tires will it clear?

My wife would probably hate tossing the kids in it though.

Last edited:

Corban_White

That trailer with a 3/4 ton burb (which that one appears to be) is definitely doable.

If you don't want the lift the easiest thing to do would be sell the burb and get another. However, if the handling while towing is the main complaint then a good cam type weight distributing hitch (equalizer, Reese dual cam, or on the higher end and IMO not needed for this setup the Hensley arrow or the pro pride 3P) will make a WORLD of difference in how it tows. This should be used even with the air ride suspension and/or no lift. Also, I believe the lift for stock components swap will only work with another 3/4 ton which will severely limit the already slim takers.

Corban_White

I need the 396/8.0L engine to pull my trailer, and the SUV is best for our family instead of a truck. This is the perfect vehicle except for the damn lift...

Picture has arrived

I really think you could make that work, but understand not wanting the lift. Which engine does it have in it? I just caught your weight on your 30' trailer....9600#s is a LOT. What's the make/model of the travel trailer? If you're really 9600#, you may be better off with a turbo diesel something or other. Are you using the pictured hitch? If so, you'll want to look into a different hitch (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ is my personal preference but that's just another can of worms we don't need to open here). That'd make all the difference in sway and control while going down the road. With the gas motor, you'll likely not be pulling hills at 65, but should be in the 50 mph range?

Looks like he has the 8.0L. Probably pulls all but the steepest hills at the speed limit. With a good equalizing hitch and as long as he doesn't put too much weight in the burb it should tow all right.

To the OP, it might be easier to find the parts you need at the junk yard. Towing with a lift isn't that bad but if you/the wife/the kids don't like the height then it will probably always bug you.