Trailer Wood Deck Maintenance Questions

redrockrover

I bought a used 2005 Big Tex trailer a little over two years ago. The wood deck looks as if it has never had any maintenance or sealant or stain. The wood is still good but it is showing its age. I store my trailer outside all year and I am afraid that if I let it sit out another winter with the snow on it the wood will start to rot and not be good. So what do you Trailer Gurus do to preserve the wood deck on your trailers?

What is the best way to go about and stain/sealing the wood? Just do it with the wood on the trailer, where I could only stain/seal the top of the wood; or remove the wood deck and stain/seal the wood on all sides?

I don’t want to do this every couple of years. Ideally I would like to do it every five years or more. So what is the best way to accomplish this.

1995zj

I'm addicted
I stain my deck before every winter....probably why my trailer decks look new for years. I couldn't imagine doing it every 5+ years. It only takes 1 hour...so not a big deal to me. I don't take the wood off though.

The best thing I would recommend during winter though, whether you stain it or not, is to buy a $20 tarp from Walmart. I bought a double layer 20'x10' and put it over the deck every winter.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Lots of "Boiled Linseed" oil once a year. Takes 20 minutes, tops. Do it in a dirt area, where it can drip through.

Or, just replace the deck every 5 years? Mine's almost 20 now.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Lots of "Boiled Linseed" oil once a year. Takes 20 minutes, tops. Do it in a dirt area, where it can drip through.

Or, just replace the deck every 5 years? Mine's almost 20 now.

What kind of wood? I need a new deck....I'm thinking pressure treated lumber? :confused:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I did Redwood after my Heep fell through it. Pricey, but you'll NEVER replace it.

Trex, and the other plastics aren't stong enough without a bunch of additional bracing.

What kind of wood? I need a new deck....I'm thinking pressure treated lumber? :confused:

redrockrover

So stain it every year before winter with the wood on the trailer. Sounds good. I will do that and the tarp is a good idea. What stain do you uses or does it matter. I have some left over stain from the playhouse in my backyard. It is just decking stain with a red tint to it. Think that will be okay. Thanks BC.

Russ

Crankylove

Crankylove
Would trex work?

It will work, but from what I have seen, it is not a good option (My employer sells it). It is VERY rot resistant, and just about care free for life.....but, it is heavy (depending on the size it can weight considerably more than the same size piece of lumber), color fades over time when exposed to the sunlight (which probably would not be an issue with a trailer), and can get very slippery when when wet or dirty, not really what I would want for decking. The price is also a big negative. Depending on what you buy, it can be 3-4 times more expensive per board foot than pressure treated or plain old dimensional lumber.

ricsrx

Used motor oil, I have never tryed it, My dad used it on our old wood fence and it worked great. so why not on the deck of a trailer.
I looked at al the motor oil stains i have now, and those are the only areas that are protected.

newtoy

Used motor oil, I have never tryed it, My dad used it on our old wood fence and it worked great. so why not on the deck of a trailer.
I looked at al the motor oil stains i have now, and those are the only areas that are protected.

did he use new or used oil?

Toad

I just use thompsons deck sealant a couple times a year. Take it to the car wash and pressure wash the deck really good. I use a garden sprayer to apply the sealeant. Takes about 1/3-1/2 gallon.

I have heard of people using engine oil and atf to treat it. I guess it works great but I dont like laying in nasty oil or atf.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I've tried many of the high-end sealers and had the best luck with wal-mart sealer. It was under $20.00 and looked & worked well. I used to sand and then pressure wash my deck every fall to keep it looking good. Give it a shot:cool:

Four years old
008-10.jpg

gahi

I use used ATF. works good, it was recommended to me by the dealer. I pour it on and spread around with a paint roller.