jeep steering

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
what's everybody running on jeeps for steering? (tj,xj,zj,mj) How do you like it? I have a zj I need to replace the steering on, It's lifted about six inches.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i would go with the new style of steering on the dodge pickups i believe 2008 or 2009 and newer it will help alot . They changed it from one knuckle going to the pit man, aka drag link, and the other connecting to the drag link to one rod straight accross knuckle to knuckle and the drag link hooks to the tierod its a cheap upgrade too

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
dont buy a steering system where the drag link hooks to the tie rod, you will regret it, you'll get tie rod twist and a dead spot in the steering

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
please tell me about this "dead spot"

when you use a steering system where the drag link hooks to the tie rod like that the dead spot is from the tie rod rotating, when steering to the left the drag link wants to pull up on the tie rod, when you steer to the right it wants to push down on the tie rod, well when the tie rod is twisting like that it isnt turning the wheels resulting in the "dead spot"

its only really an issue if you have a lot of lift though and a steep angle on the drag link,( like 6"+ on a zj/xj) on a stock vehicle where the drag link is not on much of an angle it probably isnt an issue

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Go with a currie set up. they are strong and last. I have a mutt for a steering but wish I would have started with the currie. I think that is the best way to go. With the first mentioned steering you can have bad bump steer.

build your own crossover setup, cheaper and stronger and more responsive steering, thats what i did and it works awesome, only drawback is if you don't want it to steer itself on rough dirt rds you gotta move the trackbar up, which is still easy and cheap with the jks bracket.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
its only really an issue if you have a lot of lift though and a steep angle on the drag link,( like 6"+ on a zj/xj) on a stock vehicle where the drag link is not on much of an angle it probably isnt an issue

exactly

If used in conjunction with moderate lift and a dropped pitman arm/trackbar, the Y works very well. I don't see why anyone would want to run a floppy tie-rod steering like RK, IR ETC. The single shear on a drilled out D30 knuckle doesn't do much for me either.

its all about crossover steering u can buy a complete kit or just buy a new knuckle like teras knuckle and build ur own rods

don't need a new knuckle to do crossover the factory one works just fine, now if you wanted it high steer then you would need a new knuckle if you wanted, but i know some that run high steer with the factory knuckle.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I do still have the low pinion thirty.

Replacing the steering isn't going to help much to get rid of that dead spot. I just swapped in an hp30 and got my caster back, now it feels much better. It no longer follows the grooves in the pavement surface and is much more responsive. I'm still running my stock steering setup at 4.5in.