Hardline90's CJ7 RE-visited

Coco

This past summer my father (hardline90) took a hard roll in his jeep on the final waterfall in hanging tree. He was planning on rebuilding the suspension this winter, but with the rollover, it was time to start over.

f1aee980.jpg

63d27b94.jpg

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nd3tZahwMUE[/video]
[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=CP7X6ffO4wA[/video]

The Stock frame had been repaired, patched, and tweaked so much it was time to build his own frame. He started with 2x4 lumber as a mock up, so minimal metal would be wasted. The frame was supported with diamond fish plates.

48ea2645.jpg

5d9baead.jpg

The front of the frame was made long, then cut down to length. The 350 was mocked into place, and stripping of the jeep began. We moved the tub with a bobcat, and set it down on the frame.

Then mock up began on the 4 link.
bbdc9aa0.jpg

30555e2d.jpg

Reusing his Dana 60, and 14 bolt he built a rear 4link truss, and using brackets and joints from ballistic fabrication, the rear was ready (minus the coilovers)

a98ad0a5.jpg

Then he mounted up the atlas transfer case.

5ac9a5ca.jpg

Then started the front 3 link with the track bar.

c44558a5.jpg

8b49b128.jpg

After mounting up the track bar and bracket, he realized that the current trackbar wouldn't work, so it was re done.

4e2071d5.jpg

ffa3098e.jpg

He was planning on re using his old hood, but I encouraged him (I am sure it had nothing to do with me, but it makes me feel better to think it ;) ) to get a new hood.

f3ae35a0.jpg

fcca2a2b.jpg

c3ab3984.jpg

5b378ccc.jpg

That is how it sits now. More pics and info will be up tomorrow when we start the roll cage.

Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
lookin good, he has made alot of progress.
I could be wrong, but in the pic it looks like he may have enough room to run 2 triangulated uppers. he could get rid of his panhard bar by doing that.
I couldnt quite fit them on mine (without serious frame mods)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
funny thing is thats not his shop, thats his actual garage that he uses( he just took over it for the rebuild of his jeep)

whats that hood off of? it doesn't look like a normal cj-7 hood.

after market hood fiberglass or lexan, Im guessing one from Cambell enterprizes. gives you more tire clearance and lighter.

Coco

More (better) pics and info will be up in the morning! Got a lot of work dont on the cage, but it is a little high. will need to be cut down probably about 5"

The hood is a fiberglass hood, but I am not sure of the brand.

mierdota

lookin good, he has made alot of progress.
I could be wrong, but in the pic it looks like he may have enough room to run 2 triangulated uppers. he could get rid of his panhard bar by doing that.
I couldnt quite fit them on mine (without serious frame mods)

x2

Coco

It is gonna get full hydro steering. Just hasn't got there yet. :)

We looked and looked at it to see if he could make it front 4 link as well, but it will hit the exhaust, and with the ballistic mounts he's got, they will be well into the motor if he put one on that side.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive been running 3link/panhard front for two seasons and it has worked great...as long as youve got the geometry correct it works well, looks like you have a good setup as long as you are running full-hydro.

Coco

Alright more updates. Got a lot of work done on the cage. The cage to start with was too high, we threw the doors on with the fabric windows, and the top of the cage was close to 5" higher than the top of the windows. So today we cut down the cage, and it looks a lot better now. Here are some pics.

Here is what it looked like last night

79b1a9e9.jpg

5032ceec.jpg

How it looks now

009-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

Took 5" out of the front A pillars, and about 4" out of the rear C pillars.

And here is some more pics of the suspension

007-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
It is gonna get full hydro steering. Just hasn't got there yet. :)

We looked and looked at it to see if he could make it front 4 link as well, but it will hit the exhaust, and with the ballistic mounts he's got, they will be well into the motor if he put one on that side.

Its tough to fit a four link for sure.
theres nothing wrong with a good 3 link, (thats what I have)
The rig is lookin sweet!

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
What size and thickness is the tubing on that front trackbar?

I guess I should post beings it is my build. I wasn't going to do a build thread so my son took it upon himself to do one for me.

As for the track bar, it is 1.25 DOM sleeved with 1.50 DOM.

The jeep is sitting 1 1/2 inches higher in the front than ride height due to the springs being new and stiff, but should come down after a few rides. I am looking to get 5" up travel. The rear end is at ride height. There just isn’t any room to make it a 4 link, I really wish I could but no go. I think the 3 links work just as well if done right and I hope it is done right.

The hood is from Campbell Ent. Should like good when done I think.