reddy heater fuel

MattL

Anyone got a lead on where to get Kerosene or NO.1 fuel oil on the cheap? Lowes and Home depot want my arm and part of my leg for 5 gal.

Also, I have read that people have used diesel in them I have a reddy heater 55000 btu. Has anyone got experience with either?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The fumes will kill ya using diesel, but you'll die warm. ;)

All of the big oil wholesalers carry Kerosene in 55's, if you can use that much. When I was using it, Jensen Oil on Redwood, and Cardwell on State would sell it by the gallon.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've got a 35,000 btu Reddy Heater and have only run diesel in it. It smells a little but as long as there is some ventilation I've never had any issues with it in my two car garage which is pretty drafty.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I haven't noticed any significant difference between kerosene and diesel in mine.

The Chevron on 2100 S. 300 W. sells kero at the pump for WAY cheaper than 5 gal homo depot cans.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I told you Pat has a Reddy heater 55 it's a 55,000 BTU heater the only differance is his does not have a thermostat, it is either on or off. There is not ventilation in his garage and I have spent 4 winters in there with it.

MattL

Thanks all. Ill try the Chevron and then go with the diesel. I guess i just needed a popular confirmation that it wouldn't kill my heater.

Reading online and it says that Diesel is fuel oil 2 which is why I asked orginally.

MattL

I haven't noticed any significant difference between kerosene and diesel in mine.

The Chevron on 2100 S. 300 W. sells kero at the pump for WAY cheaper than 5 gal homo depot cans.

I just rang there and they said.. nope. :-(

I told you Pat has a Reddy heater 55 it's a 55,000 BTU heater the only differance is his does not have a thermostat, it is either on or off. There is not ventilation in his garage and I have spent 4 winters in there with it.

And for about 4 years now i been saying you been acting kinda funny. hmm.
:greg:

All of the big oil wholesalers carry Kerosene in 55's, if you can use that much. When I was using it, Jensen Oil on Redwood, and Cardwell on State would sell it by the gallon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ill be heading there today.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I looked at Pats heater tonight and it says "kerosene or No 1 fuel only" and he has been running diesel as long as I have known him and before. There was one time we put kero in it and that was when we ran out of diesel, had been drinking so we couldn't get any more and I had a little kero in my garage, no difference.

MattL

Well all is well. Diesel works fine in mine. To me there was no real noticeable difference in smell.

thanks for the replies.

FYI Jensons had Kerosene for 4.49 a gal if you brought in your own container.