Steve's Sidekick Build

sixstringsteve

Since all my build threads end up as chit chat anyway (I can't help myself), I figured I'd start it in the "chit chat" section.

Here's the goal:

4-door tracker/sidekick
Trail Tough Trail Slayer SAS/Link kit
toy axles - lockers f/r
Trail Tough Undertaker
33's
lots of fun
trail tough armour (front bumper, sliders, rear bumper)

I'm probably the only one who will understand the "why" of this build, but that's ok. I've had 5 trackers in the past, and I've loved 'em all. I like projects, I like suzukis, I like toyotas, I like wheeling, I like daily driving my 4x4, I like camping, I like gutless cars, I like bringing 4 people along, and I want to do the rubicon soon. I'm building this rig to meet those criteria.

My goal is to finish this build by April 5th so I can do hole in the rock on the 9th. This is the first time I've had all my money set aside for the build first, so I can buy it all at once instead of going as I can afford it. It's nice. Hopefully the build goes together quicker that way.

There won't be much tech or anything "new" in this thread, so it'll be mostly chit chat. And, as promised with all my threads, it will make heads explode. Cuz that's what I do. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

sweet! You got a yota front axle you wanna sell me/trade back for that d60? Or any elocker thirds?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, I consolidated them, so now my random questions will be mixed in with my build thread. Sucks for the people reading it, but at least I won't have two threads related to my build.

sixstringsteve

The excitement for this build is growing every day, which is a good thing, because when I'm neck-deep in it, the excitement won't be as high as it is now.

I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch, but I found the donor vehicle. It's a '97 sidekick in CA. I'm flying out to get it next week, and I'll drive it back with my wife. Sounds like it should make it back to Utah no problem.

Here are some pics:

Kick%206.JPG

kick%201.JPG

kick%202.JPG

kick%203.JPG

Kick%204.JPG

Kick%205.JPG

The seller says it's green, but it sure looks blue in the pics. It's an interesting color, I've never seen another suzuki like it.

I wonder if it's the same color as this one:
tt%20kick.jpg

It's an automatic. I'd prefer a 5-speed, but beggars can't be choosers. It's a MUCH better platform than the local one I was looking at with engine problems. And the bottom end has just been rebuilt, and it's only got 140k on the clock.

Gotta love the low range sticker on the side.

Last edited:

YOUKNOW

Where in Ca? The Alloy MX sticker on the back is a classic! They were a big time gear company for motocross, but went out of business in the mid 2000's. Good luck.

sixstringsteve

Thanks Bart. I don't know how cool it'll look with sparkle green paint, but it can't look any worse than stock :)

Here's what it should look like when I'm done:

[YOUTUBE]XfPsxAh1JCw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Tml7vbb-45w[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wait, a Side kick? I mean they are cool rigs and all but I thought you were aiming at something you could do some long range stuff with?

sixstringsteve

You know me Kurt, I can never make up my mind. What really triggered it was my wife's insurance check for totalling her 4runner wasn't as much as I had hoped. So it really limited our options for a replacement vehicle for her. So that put a kink in my long range vehicle plans. I looked around, and I wanted to get her something that'd be comfortable on long trips. So I chose a particular 100 series that I like. She'll dd it, and it'll go anywhere that a 4x4 van could go (though I'd still love a 4x4 van).

In order to get her the 100 series, I'm having to sell my taco. With my limited remaining budget, I realized I could build a pretty cool sidekick that'd still be great for camping, moab, rubicon, and going on shorter expeditions. If I want longer range, I'll get a roof rack, or tow-hitch mounted gas can holder.

But I feel good about this project. I've made up my mind finally. I've had 4 trackers, and I loved each one of them. They're really fun cars. Not the best for baja'ing through the west desert at 90 MPH (they can't even go that fast on the freeway), but it'll work for most trips.

It may not seem like it, but I'm really grateful for all your advice Kurt, you've been a HUGE help.

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
You know me Kurt, I can never make up my mind. What really triggered it was my wife's insurance check for totalling her 4runner wasn't as much as I had hoped. So it really limited our options for a replacement vehicle for her. So that put a kink in my long range vehicle plans. I looked around, and I wanted to get her something that'd be comfortable on long trips. So I chose a particular 100 series that I like. She'll dd it, and it'll go anywhere that a 4x4 van could go (though I'd still love a 4x4 van).

In order to get her the 100 series, I'm having to sell my taco. With my limited remaining budget, I realized I could build a pretty cool sidekick that'd still be great for camping, moab, rubicon, and going on shorter expeditions. If I want longer range, I'll get a roof rack, or tow-hitch mounted gas can holder.

But I feel good about this project. I've made up my mind finally. I've had 4 trackers, and I loved each one of them. They're really fun cars. Not the best for baja'ing through the west desert at 90 MPH (they can't even go that fast on the freeway), but it'll work for most trips.

So do you still have plans to get your old truck back when you sell your Tacoma or is that no longer in the picture. Do you still have the race car you bought? going to pursue that at all? They would all be fun things to do but would be hard to find time for them all.

sixstringsteve

So do you still have plans to get your old truck back when you sell your Tacoma or is that no longer in the picture. Do you still have the race car you bought? going to pursue that at all? They would all be fun things to do but would be hard to find time for them all.

No plans to buy the old truck back anymore. I'd love it, but I don't have a tow rig.

I do still have the race miata. It's such a blast. It's been my daily driver for the past few months and I LOVE that car. I'll love it even more in the summer when I can take the top down.

You're right, I do have a hard time cramming time for all my hobbies into my life. but life sure is fun!

O'neal

?????????
I remember when my old 4dr was that clean,then I built it,beat it and got rid of it.It was perfect for the room and worked really well,I should've kept the thing:-\

Attachments

• suzukisidekickpics 004.jpg
    suzukisidekickpics 004.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 35

sixstringsteve

I love track/kicks. They're pretty common, but pretty unique at the same time. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe lifted ones are unique.

Last edited: