Jeep Steering upgrade ?

v-stone

I have a 74 CJ6 with an 86 grand wagoneer power steering gear box that has bit the dust, oil flows out the bottum like a leaky fauset. Does anyone know of an upgraded box that would work? Say from a full size pickup or something like that.

v-stone

Good point about getting one from the yard.

I'm hoping there is a steering box that is stronger than stock that is a common conversion. With a locker in front, 36" tires and a 3" drop pitman arm I'm afraid a rebuilt box will not hold up for very long.

cheepin

Well on my last CJ-7 the stock box worked fine for me.I was running 36's alsom.Never thought I needed more.But anyways.Not sure but I think the J truck boxes are the same as the waggys.So you next upgrade would be an after market box or add hydro assist to your current box.

v-stone

So I thought I would give some closer to this thread. I ended up attempting to rebuild the gear box. In studying for this I found a lot of people are negative about this because if its not done right you're just throwing time and money away. I felt like I was up to the challenge and willing to make the risk. I took my time and it went well, I even decided to paint a star on the end of the box to show I did it. It greatly increased my steering capability and works well now. Here is a pic after all the steering was put back together.

Attachments

• CIMG5655.JPG
    CIMG5655.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG5639.JPG
    CIMG5639.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 9

v-stone

haha. So the proper description of the end cap would be I taped out the shape of a star, painted the cap green and removed the tape reveling the shape of the star in the bare aluminum that resided below. I then put a clear coat over the hole cap to protect my crafty design, which ended up working against me when my 4 year old accidently put a plastic bag on it before it was completely dry.

I should also add that I found the rebuild kit for the box at Henderson on 300 West