Jeep 4 cyl. engines any good?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm browsing for a cheap jeep wrangler or cherokee for my wife to drive around in the winter and something I can use for an alljeep "billboard." I've had 3 cherokees and like them, but have kind of always wanted a wrangler. I'm finding that the cheaper of the wranglers for sale around pretty much all have the 4 cyl engine.

I know the 4.0 is a great motor if maintained, but have no experience with the jeep 4 cyl. Is it a 200k + engine?

my plans for either the Cherokee or Wrangler:

2-3" lift
32's or 33's
locker in rear
sliders, bumpers, roof rack, other accessories
Alljeep.com bling

We'll take this out and wheel it of course, but the 'runner (which will also receive some alljeep bling) will be the rig to bang-up on.

so, back to my question:

Is the 4 cyl worth getting, or should I spend the extra $1k-ish for the 4.0??

Thanks guys!

Cascadia

Undecided
I don't have any major input but I had a 4 cyl and a 4.0 at the same time and in a TJ and an LJ and the 4.0 obviously had way more power and the 4 cyl. did not. The 4 cyl. even had 4.88 gears but it really didn't seem to be peppy at all. I could start off the line with my LJ on 37's with 4.56 gears and a 4.0 and the TJ with 33's and 4.88 gears and a 4 cyl. and the TJ struggled to keep up and I was just driving normal in the LJ. I'd hold out for a 4.0 but that's just me cause I've had 5 4.0's and I've liked them all other than every exhaust manifold has cracked. Other than that, they've all been great!

utjb57

I have a 4 cyl in my yj and been driving it for 8 years
Started crawling it about 2 and half years ago and love it
I have since put full witdth axles and lower gears and still crawls fine
with no issues.
Wish I had lower gears for street but that will come.
Love the torque from the 2.5

Cascadia

Undecided
No definitely not. The toyota does have 37's and 4.10's though. I think a 22r is the slowest motor I have ever owned. No, I know it's the slowest. I'd still hold out for the 4.0 though.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
i love my 4-cylinder, shes at 122K miles and has no problems. turns my 39.5"s just fine and i still average bout 20mpg out of it. loved it as a daily driver, held highway and freeway fine except passing semis...wind is scarey in a box lol

pELYgroso

'Merica
i love my 4-cylinder, shes at 122K miles and has no problems. turns my 39.5"s just fine and i still average bout 20mpg out of it. loved it as a daily driver, held highway and freeway fine except passing semis...wind is scarey in a box lol

what gearing do you have?? I'm assuming you've got one ton axles?? I like the sound of 20mpg's!!

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
i'm running nothing now lol in the process of swapping axles from 3/4 tons to 1 tons with 5.86's, i had 5.38's and it performed well.

4Runner

my dad has a yj and he says he gets about 25 to 30 mpg out of his 2.5. his also has a 6 inch lift with 31s and 4.88. and it is no ball of fire. and has 90,000 miles

rholbrook

Get the 4.0. I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 and 125K miles. You have to gear it for the bigger tires. If your driving around town its fine, on the hwy, you will struggle to stay in 5th an any incline, even a slight incline. I have a 04 LJ with the 4.0 and its night and day difference.

I drove the TJ to St George once and averaged 18 mpg and I was floored in 4th gear most of the way. I have 4.10s in it. 4.88 would have definitely helped.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Wow my buddy was just complaining that he was only getting 13mpg out of his 4 banger... Something must be wrong with his. Aaron Clough had a turbo on his yj with a 4cylinder. He ran the same motor in his urock buggy..he Seemed to like it

spencevans

Overlander
I would avoid the 2.5 at all costs. My buddy had a '93 with the 4 cylinder and it was a complete dog. The little engines will get about 17-18 mpg in stock form and that only goes down hill when you add the bigger tires.

Get the 4.0 liter, it is rated at the same MPG as the 2.5 liter so your not losing anything. I have never heard a 4.0 owner wish they would have went with the 2.5 liter but most guys with the 4 banger wish they had the legendary 4.0.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Ive had my 2.5L YJ for several years now, 33"s and 4.88s gets 18mpg city. It's too much work to try and hold 70+mph on the freeway. Fun to drive around town and crawls great though. Test drive a couple good 4cyl and 6cyl wanglers and compare them yourself.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Wow my buddy was just complaining that he was only getting 13mpg out of his 4 banger... Something must be wrong with his. Aaron Clough had a turbo on his yj with a 4cylinder. He ran the same motor in his urock buggy..he Seemed to like it

Aarons turboed 2.5 ran hard and it was redlined most of its life we are in the process of turboing my 2.5 as soon as we get the suspension under it

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I liked my 4 cyl. I liked my 6 cyl. If you are going to run 32s then I think 4 cyl will be fine. More than that and you will need lower gears. I have a 4 cyl with 31s in the back yard if you want to come take it for a drive. You know where I live.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll keep lookin' and it sounds like I shouldn't completely rule out the 4 banger! I'm used to gutless rigs, so I'm not too worried about a lack of power, as long as the motor is reliable and gets halfway decent mileage.

another question while we're at it: is the carbed 4.0 a good option? I've seen a few of them for sale as well. do they have any particular problems in off-camber situations that I would want to know about??

Thanks again!