Archived PSH Clean-up 2011

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
So when are we starting the fund raiser for this years PSH clean up? And what days are we going to be down there cleaning up?

This is going to be here quick.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So when are we starting the fund raiser for this years PSH clean up? And what days are we going to be down there cleaning up?

This is going to be here quick.

Details are in the works. You are right though, we need to get the info page up asap.

Bart

There is an off road club at UVU and they are interested in assisting with picking up the trash Easter weekend. As soon as the page is up I'll forward this to them.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
There is an off road club at UVU and they are interested in assisting with picking up the trash Easter weekend. As soon as the page is up I'll forward this to them.

Great to hear! We are almost ready to announce.

Grim

well be at PSH Thurs, Fri, and Sat B-4 Easter Sun. 7-8am as always ....bring a pail if you have one , or Sara( i think that is her name) from the recycle center will have a few

utah340six

we need get rasing money soon.
i will start.
if 10 peaple will donate minimum of $10 each by monday for $100
i will put in a $100.
that would make $200 start.
how much do we need to raise.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yes, let's do this! Every donation small or large helps and gets us closer to our goal!

Rusted, who is our normal organizer for this clean-up, is under some serious pressure at work lately so it's not getting pushed as much as it needs to be... but we hope everybody understands the importance of this clean-up! The local BLM office, sheriff's dept, and others have come to depend and appreciate what we have done with this cleanup. I doesn't go unnoticed!

rholbrook

I just recieved my letter from Sara. I guess I never really paid much attention to the people tearing up the area. While we are there we ought to help keep an eye out making sure people stay where they are supposed to be.

Dear Friends,

Jeep Week will be upon us very soon (April 16 to 24) and Solutions is gearing up for its 7th year of Common Thread/Operation Cooperation. Our goal is to minimize waste and destruction to the land by illegal off-road travel at Potato Salad Hill (PSH) and surrounding areas. If we are successful, it will help sooth tensions among various user groups and help keep trails open to off-road vehicles.

Each day, at dawn, Solutions volunteers clean the road from Sand Flats down to and in the creek and from Powerhouse Lane into the canyon to the Powerdam and in the creek. We recycle everything we can. We will install a large recycle station near the dumpster this year and look for volunteers to help folks get their recycling in the right bin. We spend quite a bit of time each day raking out illegal tracks and then we naturalize those areas. We want to work with the Sheriff's office on the "volunteer" cleanup efforts they elicit from some of the rowdy crowd in the evening. If we can get the recycling collected separately from the trash, it saves us many hours of labor.

Rocky Mountain Extreme and other off-road groups do clean ups during the day. Some work with us in the early morning as well. They raise money for the dumpster and port-a-potties. Solutions does not receive any funds but would appreciate any donations toward our expenses during this very intense 10 days of work.

We have banners from last year that the BLM paid for and the Sheriff's office approved regarding speed limits and fines for going off-road. We will put those up again. I don't think anybody got a ticket last year, but the damage to the land was about the worst I've seen and I hope we can discourage that type of behavior so the area can be kept open.

From now until jeep week starts, Solutions will hold several volunteer sessions over at PSH so we can rake out tracks, make rock outlines to show where the road is, and pick up loads of broken glass.

There has been some serious talk about closing this area to vehicles because of the fragile desert environment and the impaired stream. I hope we can work together to keep the damage and wasting to a minimum.

I look forward to talking with you soon about how we can all work together on this. Please contact me if you have any ideas or comments.

Sincerely,

Sara Melnicoff
www.moab-solutions.org
P.O. Box 1549
Moab, UT 84532