Devil's Racetrack ~ San Rafael Swell

plaidfro

I have ridden my dirt bike many times in this area. I am curious as to which trail segment are approved for Vehicle Travel.

Locomotive Trail
Eagle Canyon
Coal Wash
Devil's RaceTrack
Fix-it Pass.

I am going to have to order an updated travel map from the BLM if I can find one. But if any of you know the answers please chime in.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got stacks of the latest BLM maps here in Sandy, you would be welcome to come grab one. All of those routes are open for motorized travel currently though they are conditional as they run though WSA.

If your a member on ExpeditionUtah.com there is a digital copy of the motorized travel link posted but I'm on my phone and can't easily find it.

Edit: not sure which segment your calling "Locomotive Trail"

Last edited:

plaidfro

I ride these trails at least once a year on my dirt bike. It would be fun to take the family through if they are open to vehicles... I would simply avoid the devils racetrack segment as it may be the only trail that does not allow vehicles aside from Dirtbikes and 4 wheelers.
NSRSwtags.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Devils Racetrack (#638 & 641) is absolutely allows full-size vehicle use however it is one of the more technical routes in the area so its not a great trail for the family Suburban or a stock pickup truck.

Eagle Canyon has also become a bit more difficult in the past couple of years, particularly the drop from Secret Mesa on the north end and the climb to Swazey's Cabin at the south.

Your Coal Wash = South Fork Coal Wash (open, trail# 639)
Your Locomotive Trail = Locomotive Point (open, trails# 644, 638, 643)

plaidfro

Thanks for the trail info... that is good to hear.

I have only seen 2 JKs in the devils racetrack segment before... Its a great loop on a dirt bike and the obstacles are very minor (for me) to get through... I would think that if I could avoid the devils racetrack segment my YJ should be able to do a successful loop through the other trails.

plaidfro

Tech section in Devils Racetrack (me taking pic)
DSC01481.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01472.jpg

There is a ledgey little drop in that I haven't taken a pic of yet right before this section if riding North to South.

Rocky little climb out of locomotive trail (me taking pic)
DSC01461.jpg

daryl_jt

I have seen quite a few vehicles run Devil's Racetrack. From a highly modified Land Cruiser to stock FJ cruisers and several open diff tacomas. I would think your Jeep wouldn't have a problem especially if you take it from North to South. Then you avoid having to climb the ledges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSMWql1IEg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Me coming up that ledge...
2693146192_bd720a5cc9_b.jpg

Paul May on the last ledge
100_3504.jpg

Paul Rossiter on last ledge
100_3508.jpg

Gary T on last ledge
100_3517.jpg

Brian P on last ledge
100_3519.jpg

Approaching the ledges
100_3497.jpg

Another panorama
100_3486.jpg

Only cruiser guys would have a poser pic of every rig crossing the DRT ledge. :)

It doesn't take more than a stock 4x4 and decent driver.

Like others here, I've taken a 4x4 on all of the routes mentioned and they're all passable and all very fun. Despite what you'll hear from many ATV/MC users, Fix-It-Pass is no problem for a capable 4x4 and driver.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Only cruiser guys would have a poser pic of every rig crossing the DRT ledge. :)

Jason is not a cruiser guy and the majority of those rigs are not Cruisers. Want and is are different.

It doesn't take more than a stock 4x4 and decent driver...

For the majority of trails in the Swell I fully agree however DRT, FIP, and BDC can have spots along the trail that could damage a stock 4x4 or require a strap. A short wheel-base stock 4x4 should be OK but a long wheel-base truck, Suburban, etc would need some rocker protection and bumpers to avoid scraping. The ledge on DRT rubs bumpers on lifted rigs, a stocker would surely scuff things up.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Agreed. I'm not sure I would take most bone stock 4x4s through DRT or over Fix-it Pass, but there are a few that would be fine.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Steve, if in the event that you were invited on one of these awesome peepicular adventures, you could have a photo of the your Scout being dragged up that last ledge by a Toyota. Just sayin. Lest we forget this incident?;)

FWIW to the OP, my '99 4runner pictured had a 2" OME lift, and Trail Gear rock sliders; otherwise completely stock (read, OE rear locker).

lhracing

It has been about 25 years since I was last on this trail. I first did it in in 1981 my brand new 1981Toyota truck with “oversized” 30 inch tires. Later I took my new (built for those days) 1985 4-Runner with a 3 inch lift and 32’s. We would come in through Oil Well Flats, down Fix-it-pass and then out the Devils Racetrack. This trail, being one of the first that I ever did has always been a favorite. If anyone is planning a trip down there I would love to tag along.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I drove Devils Racetrack last June in a downpour with my neighbor. He didn't have any trouble in his Nissan pickup, I think all it had was slightly taller than stock tires. It was his first time on a trail that wasn't mostly dirt road.
DSCF3808.jpg

Jason is not a cruiser guy and the majority of those rigs are not Cruisers. Want and is are different.

Every Toyota owner should have a nice poser shot on DRT.

For the majority of trails in the Swell I fully agree however DRT, FIP, and BDC can have spots along the trail that could damage a stock 4x4 or require a strap. A short wheel-base stock 4x4 should be OK but a long wheel-base truck, Suburban, etc would need some rocker protection and bumpers to avoid scraping. The ledge on DRT rubs bumpers on lifted rigs, a stocker would surely scuff things up.

Agreed. I'm not sure I would take most bone stock 4x4s through DRT or over Fix-it Pass, but there are a few that would be fine.

You guys are getting soft. I don't have the poser pics, but I've lead and watched a stock* Xterra (1st gen), stock* XJ and stock Rubicon TJ walk through Fix-It Pass and DRT. Decent drivers in the X's and a crappy one in the TJ. No problems, other than a protracted attempt by the TJ on Fix-It Pass. But hey, that's just my experience.

Maybe all the rooftop tents are causing problems for rigs on DRT? Better make sure each rig has a home-brew beer kit and an ARB fridge to pass the time during all the photo breaks.

Steve, if in the event that you were invited on one of these awesome peepicular adventures, you could have a photo of the your Scout being dragged up that last ledge by a Toyota. Just sayin. Lest we forget this incident?;)

Hm, ok.

*edit: stock except for upgraded/upsized tires. I guess that's not stock, but about.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You guys are getting soft. I don't have the poser pics, but I've lead and watched a stock* Xterra (1st gen), stock* XJ and stock Rubicon TJ walk through Fix-It Pass and DRT. Decent drivers in the X's and a crappy one in the TJ. No problems, other than a protracted attempt by the TJ on Fix-It Pass. But hey, that's just my experience.

I guess we just don't have your experience. I'm still with Kurt. I'd like to see you take a stock Suburban or new Range Rover through there. I did the trails in the snow with a broken hub and made it, but I still wouldn't take a large newer 4x4 down those trails.

or you no call, no show a trip when you are invited.....causing everyone to both purchase/pack unnecessary food and source an unexpected breakfast in the middle of nowhere.

You owe me 6 bucks and a breakfast ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...*edit: stock except for upgraded/upsized tires. I guess that's not stock, but about.

All SWB 4x4's, to which I agreed can/could navigate it but I'm not going to listen to them whine back at camp because their plastic bumper cladding is scuffed :D They are not difficult trails, but many 4x4 owners are not comfortable putting scratches or dents in their daily drivers, hence my warning.

Don't forget about your poser shots:

0305001607-l.jpg

Oh, and this one when you were just a small child:

Bebop_CA_72IHScoutII_2RR.jpg

Oh, and this one when you were being a rebel in high school:

131_0310_01_z+1964_international_scout_80+confederate_flag.jpg

:D