2x10 vs 2x8 or 2x6 For trailer deck?

RedeyeRacing

I am in the process of doing some work on a big tex trailer that I am hoping to haul my JK on from time to time. One of the things I am doing is replacing the wood. It currently has 2x10's on it. Is there an advantage/disadvantage structurally using a narrower plank? I haven't priced it but assuming all things are equal, would go with the cheaper option.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks,

Nate

Toad

I dont know for sure if that is right. If my menory serves me right 2x10 gets a lot more expensive. I may be wrong. Price it out and see. I agree that the 2x6 would drain better for sure. I would think that the 2x10 would have more of a tendency to twist unless you put a lot of screws in it.

KCJ401

I just redecked my trailer 2x8s were much cheaper. Dont forget the price of deck screws, depending on brand/type they get expensive really fast.

Cascadia

Undecided
Don't buy your Lumber from Lowes or Home Depot. Way more expensive than a lumber yard. Put up a wanted ad for contractors to help you get the lumber for cheaper on their account with cash. Or I'd be willing to if you wanted to drive to Lindon to get it from Burton Lumber.

Bart

Don't buy your Lumber from Lowes or Home Depot. Way more expensive than a lumber yard. Put up a wanted ad for contractors to help you get the lumber for cheaper on their account with cash. Or I'd be willing to if you wanted to drive to Lindon to get it from Burton Lumber.

I need to do my dad's trailer deck when I'm finished with my cement project. I'm going to take you up on this. :greg:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
OK Redwood makes sense, but how about the pretreated stuff, is it worth it?

The stain/lynseed oil stuff works but sucks to put on every spring and fall...

after doing a deck with Trex about ten years ago that still looks great, I am almost ready to pony up the money for that.

any thoughts?

Bart

Bart, go with Redwood. More $$$ up front, but you'll never do it again (my trailer deck is 20 years old now).

Good info, I may go that way.

after doing a deck with Trex about ten years ago that still looks great, I am almost ready to pony up the money for that.

any thoughts?

I don't really want to add more cross bracing to support the Trex. I hear it's not as strong. It sure does last though.

Trex and the like are definitely not as strong. When I built my dock with Trex, I went with 16" between cross supports and that is just for foot traffic. I would not even consider it to drive a vehicle over unless it were just a covering to a solid sub-floor.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The pressure treated woods are approximately the same price, but don't look as nice as redwood (just my opinion).

Trex is great looking stuff, but no where near strong enough structurally to support the weight of a vehicle.

I oil my deck once in the spring, and that's it. Takes all of 20 minutes, and about 2 quarts of Linseed oil. Just make sure you do it somewhere that the oil can drip through and not make a mess (ie the street).

On my trailer (68" wide), I used 2 X 10's. Started on the outside edges, and worked inward. Ripped the last board, the center one, to fit. Used 1/4" carriage bolts to hold the planks down for a cleaner look.