110v Welder

99TJ

Got the go ahead from the wife to buy a welder. So I'm looking for a 110v welder that will weld 1/4 or something similar anyone know of the best places to start looking in the Ogden'ish area? Looking to spend around 500'ish. Maybe a bit more if its the right welder.

sixstringsteve

I've got one that I bought at Home Depot (or was it lowes?). It's the nascar lincoln welder. I've built 5 rigs with it so far, and I love it. Granted, I've never welded with a 220v welder, but my 110v has been fine as long as I was using flux core. Otherwise you won't get the penetration needed for 1/4".

Last edited:

kyojin

I've got one that I bought at Home Depot (or was it lowes?). It's the nascar lincoln welder. I've built 5 rigs with it so far, and I love it. Granted, I've never welded with a 220v welder, but it's done 1/4".

x2. It's my first and only welder and I've had good success with it. If I had the $$$ I would definitely get a Miller 220v but for a 110v the Lincoln does a good job. So far i've only done suspension work with mine.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Keep in mind good tools are an investment, you'll always be able to resell a 220v millermatic. Toy welders don't have much of a resell because nobody really 'wants' one they just settle for them.

kobyhud

Lurker
I kinda disagree. I have a 220v lincoln arc welder in the garage as well as access to a garage with a millermatic 210 anytime I want. IF you buy a high duty cycle 135-140AMP 110V welder I doubt you will be disappointed. The price of a quality 110V welder isn't too far from a 175 amp 220V welder. I would happily buy a flux core 135-140amp 110v welder before I would buy a 220 for many reasons. Being able to plug in at anyone's garage is awesome, as is throwing it into the back of a truck, or running off a common generator. You can also bring it to the job (even inside the house in a pinch), instead of having to bring the job to it.

So if anyone has one of these "toy" welders for cheap I will happily buy it I have been looking. The problem is that most people aren't buying the 140 amp welders they are buying 80-110 amp welders with 10% duty cycles. There aren't a ton of the quality 110v welders on the market.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My old roommate just bought a Hobart Handler 140 and I was surprised at the how well it handled heavier stuff.

being able to use 110v is nice.
That's why my new welder I bought was the MillerMatic 211. It can run on 110V or 230v.

kobyhud

Lurker
The millermatic 211 is a nice unit. A little low on the 220v duty cycle, and a little high on price for said duty cycle. But it is hitting a pretty wide band of the market by being both 110 and 220.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
The millermatic 211 is a nice unit. A little low on the 220v duty cycle, and a little high on price for said duty cycle. But it is hitting a pretty wide band of the market by being both 110 and 220.

Duty cycle wasn't the highest priority when purchasing my 211... Not running a shop here :)

larrybenny

larrybenny
My 140 Lincoln 115 volt with flux cored wire (no gas needed) has done many a fab job. Have used it for 6 years without any problems. The really great thing is when I go to Moab or anywhere for that matter, I take it along with me. I have welded the frame etc. on my rig as well as friends right in the motel parking lot, running an extension right from my room (no 220v needed).

Caleb

110V are great if you understand their limitations. No way would I only have a 110V if I was really fabbing, building a rig, etc. I've owned both and there is no comparison in weld quality to a nice 220V welder. A 110V welder would be a nice compliment to a 220V welder. :)

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Im in Roy with a 110v if you want to come check it out...

If I had the money I would go with 220, but like everyone else 110 cheaper easier..
Plus I have a 220 @ work if I need it.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
220v welders do weld a little nicer but i bought the millermatic 135 115v welder and i have welded lots of 1/4 stuff with great success and penetration i guess its just how you use it. Being able to plug in anywhere is very nice and great for a verstaile machine, but like i said 220V welders weld a little nicer and are better for heavy duty but so are stick welders that are 220V and those are cheap

99TJ

Thanks for all the tips, anyone know of good welding stores? I've seen the ones at home depot/lowes and don't mind getting them but welding suppy stores can have a better deal sometimes.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
ever given any thought to a ready welder. It could be used as a trail welder and a garage welder. It will penetrate what you need and more like 1/2 inch. It is in your price range too. It requires a few batteries, but big deal. You can come try mine if you want as well as my lincoln 110. I have only welded with my ready welder on the trail and it did a darn fine job. I would be comfortable using it as my only welder if I didn't buy the 110 first.

iamsparticus

Norco off 1900 W and about 24th or so behinde the big jims resturant. Air gas in ogden are a couple good weld shops i got my tank at airgas they have the best prices on tanks and filling tanks. If you want to test out a high amp 110V welder you can come use my millermatic 135 anytime, my shops off of wall ave. and about 20th street

thenag

I have been kicking this around too. I have a cheap 220v AC/DC Lincoln stick welder that I am pretty comfortable with.

To put the frame stiffeners on my xj I couldn't use it so I borrowed a 220v Lincoln MIG, it is the nascar home depot one. I liked it for a lot of things so much so I want one.

However when it came to welding suspension and anything 3/16th or bigger I grabbed some sticks and went to town.

I am leaning toward a 110v just because I do have the stick for the bigger things and getting a little 110 won't take up much space (which is limited) and be more useful around the house etc.

I know no real help here,

Nathan
- 99 xj being worked on...

iamsparticus

What's the deal here - Why so cheap? Are they just closing this out because the 211 replaces it?

I dont know why that is so cheap but 400 bucks is what i paid for a used millermatic 135 thats 110v so thats a deal plus if anyone wants this welder from grainger i get a 10% discount for being a parker employee so let me know id be glad to save someone a little coin:greg: