Mineral Fork???? Info needed...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
While reveiwing comments made concerning the Cardiff saga, I stumbled across this...

There has been no change in policy relative to Mineral Fork Trail, which has always been open to certain types of motorized use. In recent years, following a rockfall, the width of the route was considerably narrowed. Subsequently, the road was closed to larger off-highway vehicles such as jeeps, but left open to ATVs. Damage that occurred this past summer was caused by an illegal drug operation and several hunter ATV routes that became established. These will be rehabilitated next summer.

Does anyone know when the road was closed to full-size 4x4's?

I am wondering if this is something we can change... if it was once open to full-size vehicles, there is no reason it shouldn't stay open! Sounds like a good work party to me...

Who knows of the area?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I know my brother takes his Grizzly up there every so often. From the way it sounds, the only place that was blocked by the rockfall was way down by the highway. He says it's a pretty cool area, let's get it back!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Coreshot said:
I know my brother takes his Grizzly up there every so often. From the way it sounds, the only place that was blocked by the rockfall was way down by the highway. He says it's a pretty cool area, let's get it back!

Thats exactly what I was led to beleive, I have driven past it a million times to go hiking but have never voyaged up there. As soon as the snow is gone, I am taking my Trail 50 up it for a recon mission. I have already solicited info from the USFS regarding the trail...

More info please... history, anything... :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Paudrhound said:
OOPS! My bad I'll keep surfin', :eek: looking for the right canyon now.

Thanks...

I do know a little, it is a mine road built to access the Reg. Johnson and other area mines...

It is the last remaining OHV trail in BC Canyon and up until the rockslide was doable in a high-clearance vehicle (jeep)...

Anyone actually drove it in the last decade?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Word...

I know there are more of you that know about this trail... Shawn, Bobdog, James K... all you old-school wheelers (read: old-school not old-age :D)...

I have requested more information on this matter from the USFS but I want to be prepared with my own facts... :D

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Well,

The one and only time I went up there was when I was 16, that was 14 years ago. I seriously doubt it was open to anything with a motor at that time, or anytime since then up until the last few years when it has been open to ATV's.

EZ
Recon time

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
EZRhino said:
...I seriously doubt it was open to anything with a motor at that time, or anytime since then up until the last few years when it has been open to ATV's.

I have some mid-90's maps (so 8-9 yr. old) that show Mineral Fork as a trail then, they call it an OHV trail.. not sure wether it was legit for Jeeps or not...

Do you think they have opened trails in the last two decades... I personally don't... take Cardiff for example, it was open to public use in the early 90's...

Paudrhound

Kurt,
I'm on the right page now with this area. I have a Salt Lake City 30x60 USGS TOPO printed in 1980 showing it as an "other road or street" up to Wasatch Mine. If that helps at all, I could bring it to you and you could check it out.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Paudrhound said:
Kurt,
I'm on the right page now with this area. I have a Salt Lake City 30x60 USGS TOPO printed in 1980 showing it as an "other road or street" up to Wasatch Mine. If that helps at all, I could bring it to you and you could check it out.

You bet, I would love to make a copy of that (who can make one that big?)... That could prove very beneficial to our cause... just for giggles, what does it list Cardiff Fork as? Days For?

Paudrhound

I'll look into getting a copy made.
I can't locate Cardiff Fork.....Days Fork after the maze of road right off the main road it turns into a trail.

I show Mineral then Mill D South Fork then Days fork....could Mill D South Fork be Cardiff? MDSF is sandwiched between Kessler Peak and Reed & Benson Ridge. It is a road going up that canyon, to the base of Superior Peak.

After looking at your post on Cardiff this is the Canyon....it is called Mill D South Fork on my map it is definitley a road...the junction for the canyon is in the middle of the bid bend on my map. Not by Mill D North Fork.

Last edited:

OldGeezer

The road was washed out by the heavy runoff in 1983. I have not returned since to see if it had been repaired. I doubt that it has. I had driven it many times before the flood.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
OldGeezer said:
The road was washed out by the heavy runoff in 1983. I have not returned since to see if it had been repaired. I doubt that it has. I had driven it many times before the flood.

How much of the road was washeed out? 10ft or 100ft?

OldGeezer

cruiseroutfit said:
How much of the road was washeed out? 10ft or 100ft?

Its been 20 years since my last visit so my memory is a little fuzzy. I'd say that its at least 100 ft long and 6 ft deep. It happened at the switchback at the first creek crossing. A very narrow part of the canyon. There used to be two rickety wooden bridges across the stream.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
OldGeezer said:
Its been 20 years since my last visit so my memory is a little fuzzy. I'd say that its at least 100 ft long and 6 ft deep. It happened at the switchback at the first creek crossing. A very narrow part of the canyon. There used to be two rickety wooden bridges across the stream.

Really, and you would drive across the wooden bridges? Thanks for the info :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Paudrhound said:
I'll look into getting a copy made.
I can't locate Cardiff Fork.....Days Fork after the maze of road right off the main road it turns into a trail.

I show Mineral then Mill D South Fork then Days fork....could Mill D South Fork be Cardiff? MDSF is sandwiched between Kessler Peak and Reed & Benson Ridge. It is a road going up that canyon, to the base of Superior Peak.

After looking at your post on Cardiff this is the Canyon....it is called Mill D South Fork on my map it is definitley a road...the junction for the canyon is in the middle of the bid bend on my map. Not by Mill D North Fork.

There's an Alphagraphics downtown that will do almost anything. They're kind of used to catering to the legal community and get some 'interesting' requests. Alexander's Legal Copy is pretty good also.........