Dirt Bike riding tips & tricks

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This thread is based off what Steve mentioned in the video thread, the Shane Watts riding classes and training. I thought it would be a good idea to have a Tips & Tricks thread to help not only the newer riders, but also the guys that have some time on bikes who still could use a little direction.

Feel free to post up any riding tips & tricks you guys use, preferably in video format that breaks it all down and explains step by step how it's done!

We'll start with these-

Log crossing;

[YOUTUBE]Co_ojv1G3ig[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]K7zpH0VU0kY[/YOUTUBE]

Turning around in small area;

[YOUTUBE]2I5oE4H88uc&NR[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PTYpYnE4ueA[/YOUTUBE]

sixstringsteve

awesome, thanks. That's exactly what I need. I have the shane watts dvds, but the more examples the better. I really need to get the 180 turn down.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I tried a 180* turn on the WR450 a couple weeks ago out at Rabbit Valley... I could do it very well on the old WR250F, which was light & small. Long story short, I ended up throwing the WR450 out away from me... :rofl:

I need to practice that one as well. The direction given in the video and seeing it done smoothly are very nice. I think I can get it figured out with the WR450.

The log crossing video is great too, I wish we had more fallen trees down this way so I could practice!

Greg

Admin
So after watching each of those videos several times yesterday, guess what I got to try today? Log crossings! Over a dozen of them, with the tallest log being around 18" thick. :greg:

Everything went smooth, it's a bit intimidating charging into a log laying across the trail, but if you don't commit, you don't make it! Video to come. :D

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
This is a great idea! I will have to do some video studdyin

Im sure the best thing to do (and the funnest) is to just get lots of riding time in. Nice to see how its supposed to be done tho

muleskinner

I have no problem riding a wheelie for a half a mile or so, but I don't think I could commit to pre-jumping over a log going that fast in the woods..

Maybe I'm getting too old.

log.jpg

I think I could cross the larger log on the ground without much problem.

Cool vids.

Greg

Admin
I have no problem riding a wheelie for a half a mile or so, but I don't think I could commit to pre-jumping over a log going that fast in the woods..

Maybe I'm getting too old.

I think I could cross the larger log on the ground without much problem.

Cool vids.

Totally agree, I could see something like that going very wrong and hurting real bad, if not timed perfectly right. :eek:

Greg

Admin
When crossing that bigger log, did you pop the clutch, or just roll on the throttle?

I slowed, pulled in the clutch right as I approached the log, then released the clutch (a little more gentle than 'popping' the clutch, just enough to loft the front tire) with a little throttle, making sure to carry thru with the throttle as the front tire passed over the tree. IMO, this allowed the front end of the bike to come up easier with little speed gained and helped me feel like it was a very controlled move. I was pretty happy with how I cleaned it. :greg:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nice vids :cool:

I've had a few people ask me what my best advice is for riding single track... If you see a tree branch headed for your face--DUCK! Don't just close your eyes! :rofl: ( have a bad habit of doing that lol)

sixstringsteve

Hey Greg, I went riding up AF Canyon with Tyko last night. SUPER nice guy, and he was very patient to wait up for me and give me tips for the steep loose rocky sections.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Since there was some discussion about power sliding a dirt bike in my recent ride thread, I give you... and introduction to power sliding / drifting / steering with the rear!

[video=youtube;KJrvj1cx7FM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrvj1cx7FM[/video]

My advice... ride with some speed, 20+ MPH before trying to power slide. That will give you enough forward momentum to keep the bike up. For me, it's easier to do this thru the last 2/3's of a corner.

I prefer doing this on loose dirt roads with enough room to get a bike sideways. Gravel is the best surface to practice on, as it moves easy.

Having a dirt bike that make decent power is helpful, so you can break the rear tire loose as you wish.

Slide up towards the tank, taking weight off the rear end of the bike, making the rear tire lighter. Lean the bike over, but keep your body more up right, centered over the bike and not leaning with it as far. Put your inside foot down and out towards the front wheel. This will give you some balance and you can dab your foot if things get too loose. Lay into the throttle, kick the rear tire out and ride the bike thru the corner sideways! Be careful with your throttle input and be mindful of others on the road & trail!

Hope that helps!

sixstringsteve

I'm all for pushing yourself to ride harder stuff, but some of those guys are in way over their head. Their "technique" to chuck their bike to the top is interesting to say the least. I'd be pissed if some guy chucked his bike into a crowd of riders sitting at the top.

I could imagine the classifieds ad "like new yz450. Only ridden lightly for one season. New plastics, handlebars, grips, mint condition."

I'd love to be the local mx store that supplies those guys with all their extra radiators, bars, engine casings, etc. :D

These guys have way more balls than I do, and they're going to be amazing riders in a year or two.