Off road trailer build

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'm going to build an off road trailer/camper, basically a pop up for 2.
I got a good start this week and am going to push through as fast as I can but life is busy for me. I'm going to need someone to do the canvas on the ten, any ideas of someone local?

Here are some progression pics

This is what I'm starting with
5.jpg

Here is with everything stripped off but still a lot of grinding to do
4.jpg

Samurai 3" lift springs
3-1.jpg

Sitting behind the samurai, running a receiver on trailer to swap between ball hitch and a pintle
2-1.jpg

Side view with samurai but I still need to figure out my shackles without lifting it more.
1-1.jpg

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I would actually say figure out your shackles with another inch of lift so that when you have it full of gear you will be closer to level... Kirkhams may be willing to take on your canvas project or many of the places that make custom boat covers (if you have the design.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I would actually say figure out your shackles with another inch of lift so that when you have it full of gear you will be closer to level... Kirkhams may be willing to take on your canvas project or many of the places that make custom boat covers (if you have the design.

Agreed on the shackles, Very easy and cheap to change out.

Wave products has done some canvas work for me from time to time, Its a small company but they are great people and do outstanding work.

EDIT...
I completely by passed the pintle and went with the Max coupler, Its more money but very little noise.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showpost.php?p=696350&postcount=24
Best of luck

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
subscribed so I can steal your ideas later on... :D
:eek: :eek:

That receiver to switch out pintle to ball is a great idea.

It must not be too bad of one, I guess someone else did the same thing to theirs. Should work out pretty good though.

Probably right, the goal would be to have it level loaded up and going. Kirkhams tents are top grade, they would be a good choice.

Agreed on the shackles, Very easy and cheap to change out.
Wave products has done some canvas work for me from time to time, Its a small company but they are great people and do outstanding work.

EDIT...
I completely by passed the pintle and went with the Max coupler, Its more money but very little noise.

I looked at them a couple weeks ago, price of the pintle stuff was a lot less. I will pull it with a reg ball hitch until I hit the trail and then swap out to the pintle.

Thanks

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Haven't got too far on this but I did get it useable off road for the Hole in the rock trail... It pulled great and tracks perfectly, also gave me some experience and let me know what I need to change as of now. No need for brakes off road, but when on the highway you need to remember it is there and give extra space... I was able to average 70-75 mph with it and got 18mpg pulling it. Top speed on trip showed 86mph on the gps!

IMG_3140.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Here is a design someone came up with.

Attachments

• tent trailer.jpg
    tent trailer.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 50
  • tent trailer2.jpg
    tent trailer2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 53
  • tent trailer3.jpg
    tent trailer3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52
  • trailer tent4.jpg
    trailer tent4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 57
  • trailer tent5.jpg
    trailer tent5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 52
  • tent trailer6.jpg
    tent trailer6.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 51
  • trailer tent7.jpg
    trailer tent7.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 47

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Here is where the trailer is now, I have shortened it by 1' and changed the tongue out to something heavier. Best part was finally getting my 17 yo boy to show some interest and actually weld something.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
a couple pics I could post from my phone. Need to upload some to photobucket to get more on.
Trailer worked awesome for this trip, ran Lockhart basin road and elephant hill. Next addition will be a 8-10 gallon water tank and pump, and then brakes.. The only time I feel I need brakes is at higher speeds on loose dirt when I need to stop fast the trailer pushes me. On the rocks the gearing handles it fine. I never even notice it is there going over obstacles.

image.jpg
image.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Yep, that is a long Bumpy ride. I couldn't find the airplane wreckage, I was competing with my daughter as usual and lost focus. We saw a trailer that was upside down and tore up, not sure how long it has been there. We stayed the first night in Kane Creek, the Second night at Hamburger Rock and then Last night we stopped in Moab at a Campground. The only people we saw all weekend were a couple in a New JK jeep on the first part of Elephant Hill and he was stuck at the first right turn before you even hit that spot you have to turn around to keep heading up. I drove around him and he finally got turned around and headed back down. We didn't go out to the confluence, Again Daughter causing problems, I will do it again with just the wife and get a camping permit.

sixstringsteve

the confluence is overrated in my opinion. Did you visit Chesler Park and the joint trail? If not, make sure to hit that next time you're near Elephant Hill.