New Extreme Trail "Smashing Pumpkins"

Badbuggy

rock star
Last summer I met with Olaf, and Jeff Stevens at area BFE. Olaf wanted to put in some new trails at area BFE, and was looking for some help. He was looking for some more moderate trails to balance the area out for more use by Jeeps on 35s. We all walked the area and found what now is the new trail "DropKick" and the loop "S & M". I had my eye on a little harder looking area just above where we were walking. I asked Olaf about putting an extreme trail in there. Later my Son and I went back and helped with the first two trails, and while we were there we walked the area above Dropkick.
The Moab Friends-For-Wheelin' have been really busy out there and have the two new trails in place plus a loop above that ties back to the powerline road near the Green Day trail.

Yesterday a few of us from the Grand Mesa Jeep Club went over and got the bulk of the extreme trail in place. I know there has been much discussion about names. But we started calling it "Smashing Pumpkins", mainly because thats what we seemed to do the most. We lack putting in a couple of winch points. The trail starts about a third of the way up Dropkick, where the trail comes back to the ravine. You start by crossing the ravine and climbing up a short hill. Then there is about a 5 foot straight up climb. It is a great way to start the trail, and sets the pace for the rest of the trail. That is where we will need a winch point. Unlike Helldorado, this trail starts with a winch. Somebody will drive up, but it will probably get a little harder with time.

PB260034.jpg

PB260043.jpg

PB260056.jpg

PB260067.jpg

PB260046.jpg

Last edited:

Badbuggy

rock star
After the climb there is a small set of double bumps.
PB260052.jpg

PB260050.jpg

Then a boulder field, that is misleading because it slopes upward at the same time.
PB260062.jpg

PB260057.jpg

PB260063.jpg

Badbuggy

rock star
Then on to my favorite part of the trail
I call it "Rock and a Hard Place". There is also a bypass around the area which is a very tight S turn through some large boulders. I transfered some green paint on to the rocks there, and my body is 48 inches wide. I also got stuck towards the top and had to break out a winch.
PB260090.jpg

PB260091.jpg

PB260093.jpg

PB260097.jpg

PB260099.jpg

PB260101.jpg

Badbuggy

rock star
PB260104.jpg

Here is Bob, "working"
PB260108.jpg

Look for these markings on the rocks, showing where the trail is, and keep in mind there is a bypass for this one.
PB260111.jpg

Badbuggy

rock star
From there it is a short boulder field, in a ravine, and a loose climb, and then back to the trail that ties back to the GreenDay area. It took us about 5 hours, but that included alot of walking, and tree removal, and routing. It should be about an hour once the trail is broken in.
PB260187.jpg

Here are a few random shots.

PB260182.jpg

PB260036-1.jpg

PB260043-1.jpg

PB260194.jpg

Badbuggy

rock star
It should be a great trail.
Thanks to the guys that went over there with me... Mike, in the red buggy, another Mike in the Wrath buggy, Bob, on prybar, and Shelby, behind the camera.
Without their hard work the trail would not be there. And thanks to Mike for getting me out of there.

Badbuggy

rock star
I was surprised, and glad to see that you guys had gotten the upper part in place. I saw where you guys stacked rocks. The only change was at the start. We went for a little harder line. We still have two more optional lines, but we were running out of daylight.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Just got back from checking out the trail, and it looks awesome! I like how it starts from Dropkick, and re-enters Dropkick further on up. Some of the obstacles are monsters!