Building a new Smoker

muleskinner

I'm gathering parts to build a Stumps clone

I'm thinking 24x24x36ish on the size, 4 shelves, with 2'' of insulation all the way around.
Definitely going to have a wireless Stoker
This should burn all day @230 on one bag of charcoal

This is the basic design- Pour the charcoal in the chute for fuel, ball valve to get air to the fuel (mine will have the stoker mounted there)
clonesmokerboxmergewithfirebox1.png

Anyone on here ever built something like this? I've been reading a lot on various BBQ sites and I think I have a real good idea on my design.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That will be cool. I have been wanting to build a smoker for a while now. My will probably be made out of an old freezer though(redneck):handlebars::handlebars:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Getting this for Christmas. It can be used as a smoker or barbecue and runs on pellets. My dad has one and has made some really good things on it. The option of having a thermostat makes it really nice.

Venture13

I just picked up a few 60 and 40 gallon compressor tanks. Making a custom cooker/smoker. Plasma CNC parts, hardwood handles, heavy wheels... Maybe throw some 4 link in there..

muleskinner

Well, it's finally finished.

I told my friend Bart about my idea last fall and he wanted one as well. He jumped right in and started on both of them at his house in Draper. Bart got a lot done before I ever made it to SLC to help him. This thing is incredible. It is all wireless and is part of my home network. I have an app for my Ipad and a program on my laptop to run it. I ran it yesterday in a pretty good wind, with no issues whatsoever. I ran it from my Ipad for most of the day, switching off to my computer occasionally.

Here are a few build pics-

75ca81b7.jpg

69abde4e.jpg

e6ae7107.jpg

7d6f8dd9.jpg

9ea1bd11.jpg

522a950f.jpg

04b00628.jpg

c573381f.jpg

1f8c42b8.jpg

2a1c4839.jpg

94f89084.jpg

57445092.jpg

ac626080.jpg

a952ebd7.jpg

bbf01086.jpg

a6014a45.jpg

27d7d734.jpg

I put a port in the door for preheating the cook chamber with my weed burner. This really helps warm all of the steel to get up to temp.
IMAG1044.jpg

I was ramping the temp up and down during testing. You can see when I would open the door as well. Once I set the temp @ 225 it seemed to hold +/= a couple deg. of my set point.
4587ed02.jpg

muleskinner

I started the smoker today @ 8am. I have one 8.5lb Boston Butt, two whole chickens and a rack of baby backs. This thing has held its temperature all day in the wind without even a couple degree shift! I'm still burning on the same bag of charcoal I started with too!

f3508f92.jpg