Archived street legalish????

rockmike

Howdy,some may recall me from the introduction thread.Im heading down your way during EJS weekend,cause thats the week end i can get vacation time.

Ive never been to an event like this,just a some werock events as a spectator.So Im real nieve on how this works.

Looking forward to geting the news letter I sighned up for,thinking this will answer alot of questions,so I dont want to bore you with a bunch of questions untill I get a chance to read through that!

My biggest concern is my wheelin rig.The info Ive read so far says I have to be street legal, EEK street legal I am not,but my rig is not a full on tube creation,I actually wired in turn signals when I built it,it has brake lights,will install rear view mirror and a side mirror.I recently built some tire covers for the rear so I dont get so muddy driving down the wet mountain roads in my wheelin area.Ill post up a bunch of pics and specs to get some opinions If y'all think im ok to drive down Moabs city streets and hiways.

I really appreciate you guys opinions on this and the time to help me out with my event newbness,very appreciative!

here we go.

its a 87 sammy,40" tires 107" wheel base,tire bulge to tire bulge is 78 1/2" roof heighth is 78"
launch.jpg

zukibild485.jpg

The new tire covers for the back,I plan on doing some up front also before the EJS.
sidekickbuild020.jpg

I suppose I could do up some lil mud flaps that hang down off these plastic fenders??
sidekickbuild019.jpg

zukbuild957.jpg

A size comparisen to a stock sidekick.
zukbuild956.jpg

whatcha think?? should I even bother trying to do the EJS,or maybe go to BFE and down to St.George instead that weekend to stay off the hiways around Moab??

Thanks ,Mike.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
My rig is pretty similar to yours, and I've never been pulled over in 12 years. But you never know during EJS, they bring in out-of-area LEO's, and they will pull you over where the local cops will let you by. Usually if you are not doing anything stupid, and stay to the back roads as much as possible, you will be okay. However, you will need a license plate for sure, and mud flaps for the rear. Your rear fenders look great, if you had some for the front, alomg with the other stuff I mentioned and all the basic stuff (lights, brake lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc) you would have a real good chance of getting by.

Are you planning on signing up for some official EJS trails? If yes, you will need to drive on the highway. If you are just planning on BFE and doing your own thing, then you can easily tow it to the trails.

Here's what mine looks like. The fenders only cover about half the tires (full coverage is required in Utah), and I also have rear quick-disconnect mud flaps.

a-300x225.jpg

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It's been a few years since I've participated in EJS, so my experience may be outdated. You don't have to be street legal to participate in the official trail rides. You do have to be street-capable enough to keep up on the ride from town to the trail head. For non-official trail rides, just park your trailer at each trail head.

I love your plastic fenders. I've been thinking of something similar. Do you have any more information on them?

Oh, and your front bumper looks like Admiral Ackbar. :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• admiral_ackbar.jpg
    admiral_ackbar.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 430

rockmike

Admiral akbar lol hes cute! lol I was thinking I would do the "official" trail rides with the EJS folks,especialy since im on my own...can I just free ride??? I was under the assumption that was not permitted because of all the over flow that weekend????

The fender are from a farm supply outfit,they fit the 40's real nice,I think I gave $65.00 each for them.

zukbuild952.jpg

zukbuild946.jpg

zukbuild943.jpg

zukbuild948.jpg

That should give ya a real good idea how I did it.Piece of cake hehe

Thanks for the input guys sure appreciate it!

My tenative plan,just so y'all have an idea what i wanna do: Im thinkin EJS Monday,tuesday do trail rides with the EJS peoples.Then pack up my camper, a 26' alluminum "frito lay" goose neck trailer I converted into a toy hauler (still dont no where I can camp at or what is concidered the better places to camp)then maybe head over to BFE and find someone to wheel with Wendsday,Thursday.Then pack up the camper again head back to EJS headquarters for the friday night giveway...maybe do some site seeing friday during the day.Sat. pack up the final time and head home.

So thats my schedule...maybe? y'all got any suggestions how I spend my week there?

Thanks,Mike.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
You don't need to fail an inspection, you can get a 15 day permit in Utah.
You should be able to in your state as well???
Here you need the title and pay the registration fees and $6 for the temp tag.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think the no registration ticket is $40, so I just risk it. I DO put insurance on it though.. that's a spendy ticket- I think about $400.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
My tenative plan,just so y'all have an idea what i wanna do: Im thinkin EJS Monday,tuesday do trail rides with the EJS peoples.Thanks,Mike.

If you do EJS trails on Monday, see if you can get Pritchett. I'm leading it, and my wife and friend are gunning (also driving zuks).

rockmike

I do have a current registration and liscense tabs for my Wa. plate.I also have my Wa./Or. OHV permit sticker.So depending on where im goin wheelin I either have a liscense pate on it or I dont and call it an OHV.Insurance is deffinatly on it! and I will be able to prove I have current insurance..I dont want no problems with your local LEO's..hince the thread.

Thanks guys anymore info or advice how I plan my week in Moab would be grately appreciated.Sure looking forward to visiting your gorgeous area!

Monday pritchett canyon: CHECK! thanks!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm on Hells Revenge with Bart on the first Sat. I can't remember if I've got RR4W assignments on Monday or not. If not, I'll try to get on Pritchett with Jeff. :D

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I do have a current registration and liscense tabs for my Wa. plate.I also have my Wa./Or. OHV permit sticker.So depending on where im goin wheelin I either have a liscense pate on it or I dont and call it an OHV.Insurance is deffinatly on it! and I will be able to prove I have current insurance..I dont want no problems with your local LEO's..hince the thread.

Ok, from my experience, if you have a out of state license plate and insurance you are in pretty good shape. The Utah Highway Patrol guys who help out during jeep safari love to pull over Utah plates and run you through the ringer. Frame height, Mud flaps, etc.

My personal record is getting pulled over 3 times in 24 hours over EJS with a Utah plate. A buddy just as built as me with a texas plate never got pulled over...

I guess we should know better.

They also love to ask where we got it inspected too...

rockmike

Ok, from my experience, if you have a out of state license plate and insurance you are in pretty good shape. The Utah Highway Patrol guys who help out during jeep safari love to pull over Utah plates and run you through the ringer. Frame height, Mud flaps, etc.

My personal record is getting pulled over 3 times in 24 hours over EJS with a Utah plate. A buddy just as built as me with a texas plate never got pulled over...

I guess we should know better.

They also love to ask where we got it inspected too...

Interesting I suppose they dont want to piss off the out of towners...in hopes they come back and spend lots of money!...dont kill your revenue theory...I LIKE it! lol Inspection? what inspection? I never did this,just keep real upping my tabs on my original zuk hehe I wont tell the LEO's this obviously.

Thanks for the post.

zukijames

mike have you decided what trails you wanta run ? and if your going to do them with the official trail run?

i think you should come a month early and help me get ready!

rockmike

I would love to come on down a month ahead lol And I would love to help ya build the rig Too.But You know my story,I just get that one week...sucks I know lol

What trails to run? great question,never been there,dont know much! Obviously Im going for Monday run w/EJS folks and run pritchett!! especially since drtsqrl says hes trail boss and hes a Zuk guy! zuk people are cool! Ive never met a zuk guy or gal I didnt like.

Tuesday: im thinkin another W/ EJS folks trail run.Wich one???? I would like to run a difficult trail,Yet I want to run a trail with lots of cool scenery! (im goin for the wheelin but also to soak in the beauty of Moab!)

Maybe you guys can help me decide!

Im thinking:

Behind the rocks? supposed to be great views of the differant arches?....

Golden spike?

Moab Rim ?

Cant really see doing Moab and not runnin Hells Revenge,maybe I could run this trail thursday?

So what do you guys think would be the "best bang for my buck" if ya will, for tuesday?

Thankyou ALL for being so helpful,and giving me a hand planning a great Moab 2012 trip!

Thanks,Mike.

Last edited:

Bart

If you're going to get there opening Saturday, you should join us on Hell's Revenge. Marc, Brett, Matt and myself on HR. Always a good warm up trail for the week.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
If you're going to get there opening Saturday, you should join us on Hell's Revenge. Marc, Brett, Matt and myself on HR. Always a good warm up trail for the week.

Bart and Marc are a couple of guys that I won't hesitate to wheel with... Good People...

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Behind the rocks? supposed to be great views of the differant arches?....

Golden spike?

Moab Rim ?

Cant really see doing Moab and not runnin Hells Revenge,maybe I could run this trail thursday?

Behind the Rocks is a great trail, with some really nice scenery and a couple of pretty good obstacles. You'll go down White Knuckle Hill, but if your trail leader lets people try going back up, do it! It can be a pretty long day if there are a lot of rigs, and it involves about 10 miles of highway each way. Golden Spike is fun also, one of Moab's classics. It is a long day, actually three trails in one (Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim). There are a few miles of highway driving involved, and the start and exit are in different locations. Moab Rim is another classic, not terribly difficult, but some pretty good pucker factor in a couple places. It's an in-and-out trail, has the least amount of highway driving of the three, and is the shortest in length. Really, you can't go wrong with any of these, I'd just wait and see what is available on the days you want. Oh yeah, Hell's Revenge is definately a must-do, but if it was me, I'd run it one evening after the EJS group is done. You can run it in a couple hours, instead of sitting in line all day with 40 other rigs :D.

Registration is different this year. All registrations will be taken online (www.rr4w.com), and is supposed to open on January 20th at midnight. Registration will now be first-come-first-served, no more lottery, so be sure to register and pick your trails early to make sure you get what you want.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
You need to be street legal to drive on trails in National Parks like Canyonlands. If you're caught, this administration may hold you indefinitely.