42re to aw4 swap on a 94 zj.

gertsch

Just like the title says is what I'm doing andin committed to it. I'll be doing a writ up on this shortly just want info on this swap if anyone might have any.

gertsch

So it's all wired it and I fired it up and everything seemed to work like it should. Will know more once the other mods are don't to the rest for the test drive! Once it's all complete I'll do a write up on it for sure!

gertsch

So my 94 zj with the 4.0 had its own transmission computer for its 42re. I picked up a 96 aw4 from a cherokee.
I had to buy the computer from a salvage yard and the pigtails.
things u need for this swap are

aw4 transmission
computer and wiring harness
shift cable and kickdown cable
shifter from a cherokee but i believe you could use ur current shifter
you need a shifter plate from a zj with the aw4 cause a cherokee one won't fit its to small
flex plate and torque converter for the aw4
bell housing bolts are need as well and the transmission lines from a cherokee help as well

So you need to unplug everything from the transmission and remove it blah blah blah if u can't pull the trans and install the aw4 then u shouldn't be doing this swap.
so transmissions swapped and installed you need to build your wiring harnesses unless u got everything from your donor vehicle.
so if ur building your harnessess you need wiring diagrams. you can go to stu olsens offroad website to get the info you need there for building your harness and get factory diagrams for your donor transmission and your vehicle your swapping into.

I'll get pics of the diagrams i have on here soon.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Cool. And no Check Engine Light? PICS!!!

Nice to have alternatives. I'd like to do a 5 speed swap to my 95 ZJ. Or maybe even a 6 speed from a TJ. If I could afford that.

gertsch

I'm working on the pics and diagrams. But it went rather well. I was contemplating a manual swap but my wife is not so good at driving a manual so I chose the aw4

gertsch

imagejpeg

judoka

42 re TCU diagram

Best regards 2 all from Croatia.
I have zj 4.0 with bad 42 re tranny, and I swap aw4 instead 42re,
but of course, I have problem with tcu
Does any of You has wiring or pin diagram of 94 zj TCU ( tcu connector is an orange colour )
Donor wehicle is XJ '90 ( Renix ) and I pull out TCU, with connector for TCU and both aw4 tranny connectors ( black and gray 8 prongs connectors )
Please help, I need diagrams

judoka

hallo Gertsch,
few days ago I sent to you PM with my e-mail address,
but no response. I hope that You OK, and you just have no time to answer.
My e-mail address is judoka@net.hr
So, I put Renix aw4 to my ZJ94 4.0 MFI, and drive it manualy. It is run ok, and I have no problem to drive it without TCU , but my Lady has no skils to drive aw4 manualy, and I'm afraid she will blow it up. So please can you send to me TCU circuit diagram, to finalise my project? Thanks anyway
Judoka