How to: Protect your trailer from theft.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Many on here have had stolen trailers, and some have recently bought new trailers.

So lets discuss how to protect your trailer from theft:

The psychy of a thief is pretty easy to understand:
we've all thought we of how nice it would be to own something we don't have:
Get in, Get out with the material, goods, or property fast and unnoticed.
It's no shocker that most robberies are done in less visible locations or at night and in places where there are none or few onlookers, or apathetic bystanders.

Mine, when it was stolen, had two separate chains through the back around a telephone pole, a hitch pin coupler lock, and a ball lock and they still got it.

Coupler pin and receiver hitch locks are absolutely necessary for when you are towing or leaving your at the trailhead, I think locking your chains to the hitch and locking your spares and cargo boxes is a good idea too.
Non-adjustable coupler and receiver locks are much stronger too.coupler lock.jpg vs adjustable adjustable.jpg

Common sense would say bright colors on your locks is an easy way to get your locks noticed and to be able to visually inspect them at a distance. (but does this help thieves identify where locks are located?)

I don't see a hitch pin lock or a ball lock as the most successful determent because it appears they didn't tamper with those on location when mine was stolen because no pieces were left behind. It seems they just chained it up and took it after cutting the chain locks.
BUT I believe it would deter some less resourceful thieves.

I used to chain through the spokes when I felt like I was leaving it for a while (more than a week) but didn't this last time because it's time consuming to do and undo. I suppose putting the lock behind the tire would be an even better deterrent, but it's an inconvenience as well.

Even then that is still only as good as the lock you secure the chain with.

So what are some better ways to secure your investment?

A wheel lock device?

cheap trailer keeper wheel locks are weak and easy to ever come.s7_012240_999_01.jpg

We need stronger stuff like a boot?
GOLIATH-Lead.jpg
3860.jpg

or a tension block between two tires or tire and frame?

Some sort of ground anchor?

Hiding it behind a fence or another vehicle is good, if your other vehicle can't be moved and the gate can't be easily compromised.

Out of site out of mind? How many have room for their trailers in their shop/garage? Not me. I think Covering it isn't a bad idea.

How do you secure your trailers?
Discuss:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I figured I just wouldn't park my trailer at your place.;)

Good idea for a thread though... I use a Master Lock coupler-pin lock:
204643808.jpg
and a Gorilla Lock coupler lock:
63227_1000.jpg

Trailer is parked on the side of my house - soon to be behind a fence. I feel lucky to have never had an issue, and my fingers are crossed that my luck continues.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
The thing I learned about locking up a bike is you can't do it. A determined enough thief will always get through whatever you do to protect it. The best thing you can do is make it harder to steal than the bike next to it, and don't lock it up in the same place twice.

If you have to leave your trailer out where it can be seen and scoped, and you can't afford to lose it, I'd almost say it's worth your while to buy another trailer, a crappy one, and leave it less secure? Kinda the same way I'd make a point of locking up my bike next to one with a crappier lock...

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Mine are in the back yard, behind a broken down truck, which is behind a fence. They'd have to work pretty damned hard to get one out.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I figured I just wouldn't park my trailer at your place.;)
haha ha :shawn: we are moving to Btown next month... hopefully we can hold onto the rest of our stuff till then.

I'm pretty sold on a good boot and anchoring the tongue down via- the chains and a fabricated lock box over the lock.
(I'll draw my idea out in paint-cad).
chain anchor.png

Last edited:
i just make sure mine is locked up behind a gate and can't be seen or removed :)

cause no matter what you do if someone wants it bad enough they're gonna get it. so you'd be better off putting a tracker on it for when they did take it.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
My son in California bought a screeching alarm, $5 at radio shack, set up to screech when the trailer was rocked 1/2 inch. He also had a chain and ball lock but it was the screech-er that scared them away before he got out there with his Beretta in hand.

ricsrx

are goose neck and fifth wheels with locks any more secure...

or are they less desirable because of the size of the trailer??

I know of alot of trailers that have been stolen it seems to be smaller utility trailers and non of them have been a goose neck or fivers.

I have seen some guys remove a tire or two to help it be less desireable to steal

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
My son in California bought a screeching alarm, $5 at radio shack, set up to screech when the trailer was rocked 1/2 inch. He also had a chain and ball lock but it was the screech-er that scared them away before he got out there with his Beretta in hand.

A Beretta? In *gasp* California? I thought you were supposed to try to smother the thieves with food, shelter, and love. :rolleyes::D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I agree with the logic of making your trailer harder to steal than the next guys.

Hitch pin locks can be knocked off with a hammer easily. Ball locks are harder to remove. Trailer thieves will just hook the safety chains up and drag it somewhere private where they can use more tools.

Make your safety chains unusable when locking up your trailer. I think a removable tongue would be the best bet. If they try to chain drag it, they won't be able to turn. The thief can also easily see that they will need to fab a new tongue in order to use the trailer.

Last edited:

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
I keep mine behind my fence with 3 dogs that will rip anyone a new one if they jump my fence. One is a hound that wakes the dead with his bark so sleeping through it would be hard.

STAG

On my grind
Stolen Pathfinders can't tow a gooseneck or fifth wheel. ;)

But S-10 Blazers can! ;)

Sorry I had to. But to add to the thread, I do feel that 5th wheels are a little less prone to theft as a bumper pull trailer. I have a Kingpin lock on my 5th wheel trailer behind a locked gate.

Attachments

• ATT000031.jpg
    ATT000031.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 28

Chevycrew

I know it doesnt prevent the theft, but, my trailer is insured through Farm Bureau. $5000, full coverage, 0 deductable, costs me about $2.50 a month. They let me set the value, and that is the amount I get if its stolen.

I have a big orange parking boot (cost around $500), a tongue lock and a hardened steel chain with a fat master lock. My strategy is to park my trailer next to a really nice one. Hopefully a thief will be deterred by my defenses and will steal the closely situated "nicer" trailer.