Archived Hells Revenge on Big Saturday?

heavy18

XJNation
I'm going to be in Moab for Easter, I've gone once before and my group really enjoyed seeing all the rigs in town and running trails on our own as opposed to the organized/paid runs. We ran Hells Revenge on Saturday and it was great - tons of rigs but a good flow for the most part so we never felt stuck for prolonged periods.

Anyway, I was looking over the schedule and I see they have a run planned for Hells Revenge on Saturday. Does that mean I can't run it "independent" or is that a trail that doesn't get shut down when they run it? :confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That means it's "shut down" for big Sat per BLM permit. There will be RR4W volunteers being trail monitors on any closed trail to ensure compliance with the permit process. There's a few threads around here about it. Most of the trail monitors will help you find an open trail, but on Big Sat. most trails are being used.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Big Saturday is rough to find a trail to run, you might be better off heading out to AreaBFE for the day or something. All the official trails will be taken up by the official runners and it's best to just not get in their way even if they don't have exclusive use to it that day, which they will have to many trails.

There will however be a few that they will not be running, but again I suspect everybody else and their cats & dogs will be on those trails too. You really can't win that weekend without finding a parking jam on the popular trails. That's usually why I either head down early in the week or stay after the big weekend to actually get some real trail time in. Friday & Saturday are relax days for us. :D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Except for Elephant Hill, we run every trail on Big Saturday. And as mentioned, Area BFE is hosting a Dirt Riot Endurance Race, so all their trails are closed to the public. It should be a blast to watch, so that might be a good option for you.

To briefly address the exclusive use trails, RR4W has permitted through the BLM to have exclusive use of 6 trails when we are using them on a registered trail; they are: Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim, Cliffhanger, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar. When we finish the trail, or days we don't use it, it's open as usual. Additionally, 3 trails are one way travel only ALL week; Kane Creek, Steelbender, and Hells Revenge.

If you have more questions, let me know.

David
RR4W Land Use Officer

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
so we can still do hell's before or after the scheduled run, correct? we have done this before and never had a problem.

Except for Elephant Hill, we run every trail on Big Saturday. And as mentioned, Area BFE is hosting a Dirt Riot Endurance Race, so all their trails are closed to the public. It should be a blast to watch, so that might be a good option for you.

To briefly address the exclusive use trails, RR4W has permitted through the BLM to have exclusive use of 6 trails when we are using them on a registered trail; they are: Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim, Cliffhanger, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar. When we finish the trail, or days we don't use it, it's open as usual. Additionally, 3 trails are one way travel only ALL week; Kane Creek, Steelbender, and Hells Revenge.

If you have more questions, let me know.

David
RR4W Land Use Officer

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i have no problem with going after. i don't intend to get in the way of the safari group. even though i don't do the safari runs i still respect their right to exclusive use. do you have any idea what time hell's will be closed? last time we went there and there was a LEO blocking it we just went and did fins n' things and came back and it was open.

i think hell's on big saturday is the only thing i am having trouble working out. i found non-safari trails for all the other days.

Preferably after, but yes, as long as you go in by the Sand Flats booth and out by the radio tower.