Helldorado officially open!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
In case anyone missed it from the old Coyote Canyon thread, we learned a couple months ago that Helldorado (between Breakover Rock and the Waterfall) is on BLM land, and was never officially recognized as a legal trail. In short, that meant that it was closed. Area BFE was prepared to put a fence up at the property line, effectively closing the trail, as we worked with BLM to legalize it. This would have been a major downer during Safari.

Well, I just heard this afternoon that BLM has signed the paperwork, and the trail is now legal and open!!!!

I know that BLM does a lot of things that we as jeepers and motorized trail users don't agree with, but they really deserve some credit and thanks to put this on the fast track and get it opened on such short notice. Remember, it took us over 3 years to get Coyote Canyon back!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is GREAT to hear. I've been wondering about the fate of this since it was mentioned in the Coyote comments.

Way to go guys! Thank you Moab BLM Office!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That is GREAT news, thanks for all the effort to the Moab Friends For Wheeling and much thanks to the BLM for their willingness to work with us to recognize Helldorado as an official, established trail!

Olaf

Supporting Member
We were very happy when that call came in on Jim's phone today!!! What made it better was that we were at AreaBFE when the good news came in! Thanks for the great work!!!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Wow, that's really great news... It was really a downer when that was mentioned.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Burns+Excellent.jpg

B-RAD

Great news. Thanks to everyone!!! point of clarifacation, are you talking about the former "lower" Helldorado. That is outstanding news seeing as how I'm not there now but will be in a couple of weeks.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Great news. Thanks to everyone!!! point of clarifacation, are you talking about the former "lower" Helldorado. That is outstanding news seeing as how I'm not there now but will be in a couple of weeks.

Sorry, Lower Helldorado is on private property and will never be re-opened as long as the current owners own the property. We're talking about Upper from halfway between brakover and the waterfall.

B-RAD

Thank drtsqrl, I wasn't aware. I hate to sound dumb!!! I always asumed upper was part of the BFE purchase years ago.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is an example of working with the BLM and getting the job done.
If someone else helped with this let us know.
Thanks I am sure to all the work you have done Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'.

rockmike

Wow I had no idea I cut it that close last year.This trail is one of the reasons I came to the Moab area last year.It just happen to be EJS week also(my time off) so we did the EJS for 3 days and met some great people like Jeff,and Jim in there bad ass zuks.had a slight misunderstanding with Olaf on camping,but Olaf proved to be a good person,he wasnt able resolve my camping arangments(I figured it out on my own) no hard feeling at all.Met more grrat people @ BFE like Ryan and Eddie,they took us around a bit at BFE what a great experiance and great like minded people we met!

A huge thanks to Olaf and Jeff and all the rest of the people who worked hard to get this famouns trail reopened for us to enjoy and we sure did! cant wait to get back to Moab and BFE this spring!

Thanks to all involved!

Last edited:

Olaf

Supporting Member
HI Mike,

Sorry about the camping issue and I'm glad that you figured it out. Moab Friends-4-Wheelin' did the bulk of the work with the BLM to make sure that Helldorado remained open.
Looking forward to see you again this Spring.

rockmike

HI Mike,

Sorry about the camping issue and I'm glad that you figured it out. Moab Friends-4-Wheelin' did the bulk of the work with the BLM to make sure that Helldorado remained open.
Looking forward to see you again this Spring.

Howdy Olaf,

Like I said no hard feelings I know you had a full plate with the race goin one that week end and tryin to figure out enough dirt for pit space for the race teams and all.I appreciate ya stoppin by to say hey,you are a good man,glad to have met you.

This year we will be there the week after EJS (thats the way the calender works out for our schools spring break this year)Hope to run more of the BFE trails this year and will be sure to leave some extra funds for BFE swag! and show our support:D

Again thankyou and the Moab freinds-4-wheelin.If theres anything I can do to help out in anyway while where there please ask!So lookin forward to our trip this spring...MOab kicks ass and BFE is just unreal,so much awsome wheelin to be had!
Mike.