Archived OHV's on the street in MOAB

SWALLDOG

Just looking for some more info on this subject.
Jeep/buggie registered as an OHV. Can you drive it around to the trails? I have heard lots of diffrent stories on what you can and can't do. Some say on certain streets you can. Others say all streets except main cuz its a highway. Did alot of searching and haven't found any specifics. I even called the police department in moab and they doesn't know. They lady said she thinks all roads are good and they were even talking about letting them drive on the highway but was not sure. My friend even called his dad who is the judge in Blanding(?) but he was not sure. Let me know if ya know anything.

Android using Tapatalk (probably @ work)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My buddy got a fat ticket for driving his RZR on the road.. I think the no insurance was the biggest part of the ticket.. I'll ask him
He was on Main St

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
You will get ticketed.

I think it depends. In some smaller towns OHV's can legally drive on city roads/routes, but state & Federal highways are usually off limits. It really depends on designated routes. You will for sure get ticketed for cruising main st, but crossing it might be ok...? It would be good to get solid confirmation on this. Some cities even provide maps of "OK" routes on city roads.

All that said, I still trailer to all trail heads.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
According to Officer Mansen of the Grand county Sheriffs office OHV's are not allowed on pavement, except in a rare case such as Hells revenge where the trail end is near the beginning, in which case you may go back to the beginning point to your trailer. No part of Grand county allows OHV use on pavement. If they are on dirt then you are ok. (I don't know if that means you can travel on the side of the paved road or not)

There is the gospel according to Mansen.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
According to Officer Mansen of the Grand county Sheriffs office OHV's are not allowed on pavement, except in a rare case such as Hells revenge where the trail end is near the beginning, in which case you may go back to the beginning point to your trailer. No part of Grand county allows OHV use on pavement. If they are on dirt then you are ok. (I don't know if that means you can travel on the side of the paved road or not)

That's a bummer.

zukijames

yup its the uhp guys not the city cops.... the no insurance is the biggest problem.. ohv on the road. if you dont go on the highway your probably fine.. but who knows..

Coco

yup its the uhp guys not the city cops.... the no insurance is the biggest problem.. ohv on the road. if you dont go on the highway your probably fine.. but who knows..

MPD is pretty leinent from what I have heard (since this is after all there revenue of Moab) but the biggest thing every cop is trying to control is the non-insured vehicles driving on the streets. If you hit someone in a full buggy on the streets, very little will happen to you, but if you kill someone in the other vehicle...different story.

I've seen some RZRs and such driving main while I have been down here, but I havent seen much police activity at all (except PSH). So, :confused:

SWALLDOG

Thats not Richard "maddog" mansen is it?

SWALLDOG

So I got a ticket in moab. Talked to a local cop wed night and he said as long as you have insurance and its registered as an OHV you can cruze the side streets and be fine. The next day we went to do hells. Unloaded the buggie at the parking lot at the exit and decided I better get some gas. I was a little lower than I thought. I had called my insurance first thing this morning and got the buggie insured. So I thought I would be fine to cruze to the gas station real quick. On my way back right before the dump I got pulled over. He gave me a ticket for no prof of insurance and no registration. He said my OHV registration was no good on the road and my e-mail on my phone from my insurance guy was not proof of insurance . And this was a local moab cop! Wtf!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
. He gave me a ticket for no prof of insurance and no registration. He said my OHV registration was no good on the road and my e-mail on my phone from my insurance guy was not proof of insurance . And this was a local moab cop! Wtf!

Well, he's right. I trust the law, not the cops. ;) You can probably argue the case against the insurance ticket, but unless Moab has a law allowing OHV use on city streets, you're SOL on that one.

Not arguing whether it's right or wrong, just whether or not the cop was justified in ticketing you. :D Good luck.

SWALLDOG

Well, he's right. I trust the law, not the cops. ;) You can probably argue the case against the insurance ticket, but unless Moab has a law allowing OHV use on city streets, you're SOL on that one.

Not arguing whether it's right or wrong, just whether or not the cop was justified in ticketing you. :D Good luck.

Hey thanks man. Yeah i hope that if I send them my insurance info I can get out of that one. And I'll probably just have to pay the no registration. I should have known better and just trailered it to get gas. Well I do know better I just should have done it. My buddie that was down there w me, was talking to his dad, who is the judge in blanding, and he said that the insurance one is like a $600 ticket and that can make you get like sr22(?) Insurance which I guess is like high risk, for lime 3 years! But he did say that he was pretty sure you could drive OHV's on the back roads there. I'll have let ya all know how it turns out.