Help me

Semperfi0208

I drive a 07 jeep liberty 4x4 stock and I need to find a camping and off road trails preferably easy Im new to the off road thing. Plz any suggestions and I need the camping areas to be cheap or free. Thank you

sixstringsteve

First off, welcome to RME! Where do you live? How long have you lived in Utah? Check the "upcoming trips" forum to find trips people are planning. Many people are willing to show a noob around and help him out on his first 4x4 trail. Welcome to the site and the sport.

We have the perfect opportunity for you to learn more about jeeping and meet some great locals, as well as hear about their favorite wheeling/camping spots. It's our RME quarterly training day. Check it out here:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...Day-April-2012

Cost is $20 and 100% of the profit goes to the park where the event is held. We will have a continental breakfast, training, driving, and a raffle, where everyone usually walks out with more than $20 worth of gear anyway. You can't beat it. Hope you can make it. To reserve a spot, click on that link and reply to the thread.

Semperfi0208

Thank you my name is Steven I'm 22 I just got out of the marines. I have lived in Utah all of my life except the last 4 yrs. I live in kearns. and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you who come out.

Smittyauto

One of my favorite spots is American Fork Canyon. There are free spots if you take the dirt road at Tibble Fork Res, and plenty of wheeling opportunity for a noob. You will find that in the summer the camping spots that are up the dirt road fill up fast, but if you get up there on Thursday you have a great chance of getting a great spot, on Fridays it gets a little harder to get a spot. There is a Fee to get in the Canyon, but its $6 for a 3 day pass. You will find lots of videos of people wheeling on You Tube if you just search American Fork Canyon. There are good lakes for trout fishing too.

Houndoc

Depending on your taste, the west desert (Simpson Springs etc) can be lots of fun and pretty much in public areas in the state should provide what you are looking for. It really comes down to how far to you want to drive! I also like the Flaming Gorge area and Skyline Drive areas above Fairview.

Of course some areas will require you to wait until things dry out!

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
If you just want some easy off roading, head west towards Black Mountain. You can camp, shoot, drive around on rough roads to get your feet wet, etc. I take the family there sometimes for early season, quick "have to get out" weekends when I don't want to risk breaking anything. There are a lot of canyon roads that take you partly up a canyon, and we will often hike to the tops, or to geocaches, or just get out for some rock scrambling. Some of the canyon roads will take you through the mountain range, but most will dead end. From the exit with the gas station (the only one out here) head north, and find a road that crosses the RR tracks. From there, head a bit NW so that you will stay on the west side of the mountain range. There are a few rough roads that skirt the south end of this area, and there is a handful of geocaches (if you like that sort of thing) but otherwise just your average jeep road. If you stick to the roads and canyons on the west side of this range, you will avoid most of the pollution from the magnesium factory. If you are on the east side, there is a landfill and the mag factory, which smells strongly of chlorine. Yuck. Too bad too, some nice canyons on that side.
http://g.co/maps/m7jbt
If you skim google maps using satellite imagery, you can see a lot of roads headed south from the same area off the freeway, and they look like good candidates too, but I haven't gotten down there yet, so I can't vouch for it or suggest anything.

If you want to go a bit further south, over at 5 mile off road area, there is a lot of roads that are challenging but not terrifying for the new wheeler. One other popular area starts on Sunshine Canyon Road, south of Tooele. Most get there by way of Eagle Mountain though. You can find just about anything you are looking for there. Mild rock crawling or plain rocky dusty trails. Good views from the tops of ridges and small mountains. We usually camp near the bottom, but I think you can camp up farther too. Not so far away you have to camp, but nice place to get a weekend worth of wheeling in.
http://g.co/maps/qg2fu
Again, scour google maps using the satellite imagery, and you will find a lot of possibilities in all directions.

American Fork Canyon is great, and on my second visit, I bought an annual pass, and I will continue doing that because it's an incredible value, I have used it all over Utah, and gotten my money's worth very quickly. There is a lot of places you can go in a stock Liberty up there past Tibble Fork Reservoir, but use caution because some will look average and then turn ugly fast. You will wind up with dented rockers, punctured pans, damaged gas tank, etc very easily. A road will turn from rough to ROUGH pretty quickly. A lot of folks go up in stock small 4x4s and get a lesson in prudence. :rofl:

If you have questions about a specific area, post them up because there is a wealth of knowledge here, on tap. ;)