Silver Lake road/flat/trail--any good 'wheeling up there?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So I've been into AF Canyon dozens and dozens of times over the years. Like most people, I always use the Tibble Fork reservoir parking lot as a place to stop, air down, drop the sway bars, etc. But then when I get back under way, I never turn left and head up toward Silver Lake. Instead, I always take the unpaved American Fork Canyon Road and head toward Mineral Basin, or Forest Lake, or whatever.

At last I wonder: what am I missing out on? I am guessing the road is paved at least to Silver Lake Flat, but then what? How is the trail to Silver Lake itself? Is it comparable to the Forest Lake trail, or maybe harder, or easier?

What do you think, guys? Is this area worth exploring?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
It's a gravel road up to Silver Lake Flat. On the far side of the reservoir at the top parking lot there's a small stream crossing that leads to some scenic driving, but no wheeling. There is no road to Silver Lake proper that I'm aware of, that's a hiking trail. The whole area is gorgeous and worth exploring, but there's no real technical driving that I'm aware of.

AX10TOY

Undecided
It's a gravel road up to Silver Lake Flat. On the far side of the reservoir at the top parking lot there's a small stream crossing that leads to some scenic driving, but no wheeling. There is no road to Silver Lake proper that I'm aware of, that's a hiking trail. The whole area is gorgeous and worth exploring, but there's no real technical driving that I'm aware of.

X2

sixstringsteve

Kevin B nailed it. It's a nice sunday drive, and worth exploring, but don't expect to use 4wd. I think the road to thef Forest Lake trailhead is more technical than anything up near Silver Lake flatts.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I took a dirtbike trail last fall that wound its way up toward silver lake but it was suuuper gnarly and washed out in a couple places. (had to turn around) but there is no real wheeling up there. We usually go up a couple times a year anyways to fish or just hang out. It's nicer IMO than tibble to hang out at or fish.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I took a dirtbike trail last fall that wound its way up toward silver lake but it was suuuper gnarly and washed out in a couple places. (had to turn around) but there is no real wheeling up there. We usually go up a couple times a year anyways to fish or just hang out. It's nicer IMO than tibble to hang out at or fish.
Silver Lake Flat, or Silver Lake? I thought that was Wilderness up there...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The Milkmaid Trail is above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir (which takes you near Silver Lake but far below Silver Glance) can be a fun 4WD mandatory route but mostly in the form of loose and often wet rocks. There are some neat mines to spy if you know where to look. On the opposite side of the canyon is the Upper Major Evans (Earl-Eagle) road however it is now closed a few miles from the end and before it gets technical at all. Its a very neat route up above but due to private property issues, it was closed.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Silver Lake Flat, or Silver Lake? I thought that was Wilderness up there...

the trail we were on was marked, so I know it wasn't the wilderness area and since we turned around, I'm not exactly sure how close we were to silver lake (flat) but it seemed we were going in that direction.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
the trail we were on was marked, so I know it wasn't the wilderness area and since we turned around, I'm not exactly sure how close we were to silver lake (flat) but it seemed we were going in that direction.

Cool, I'll have to look for that. Mountain-bikeable, do you think?

pELYgroso

'Merica
Cool, I'll have to look for that. Mountain-bikeable, do you think?

I definitely wouldn't want to go up it on a Mt. bike. but if you could find the top and go down it, you'd be in for a wild ride! In one section (where we turned around) the trail was washed out up a steep section exposing some tree roots that swallowed my bikes tires trying to get up them. I probably could've kept going but the guy I was with wasn't very experienced on trails and wanted to go back.

On the opposite side of the canyon is the Upper Major Evans (Earl-Eagle) road however it is now closed a few miles from the end and before it gets technical at all. Its a very neat route up above but due to private property issues, it was closed.

Interest in this very route is what got me involved in public access. The road is clearly established. The road ends on public land. But it's closed due to crossing private land. One of those routes that if I was a USA-ALL zombie I'd say "it was closed illegally." The truth is it was closed through legal actions, however I do not agree with the principle in this case. Still haven't been up there on any of the private runs. :( I'm sure that has something to do with not being in Utah enough. ;)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The Milkmaid Trail is above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir (which takes you near Silver Lake but far below Silver Glance) can be a fun 4WD mandatory route but mostly in the form of loose and often wet rocks.

Is this the road shown above Silver Lake Flat reservoir on Google maps, then? (It isn't labeled, so I cannot be certain.)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Is this the road shown above Silver Lake Flat reservoir on Google maps, then? (It isn't labeled, so I cannot be certain.)

It could be, my mapping software shows them both clearly. Milkmaid heads north then west, Upper Major Evans heads north than east eventually looking down into Mary Ellen Gulch.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Interest in this very route is what got me involved in public access. The road is clearly established. The road ends on public land. But it's closed due to crossing private land. One of those routes that if I was a USA-ALL zombie I'd say "it was closed illegally." The truth is it was closed through legal actions, however I do not agree with the principle in this case. Still haven't been up there on any of the private runs. :( I'm sure that has something to do with not being in Utah enough. ;)

Move back and I can work some magic ;)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
It could be, my mapping software shows them both clearly. Milkmaid heads north then west, Upper Major Evans heads north than east eventually looking down into Mary Ellen Gulch.

Okay, here is a screen grab from Google maps:

silverlk.jpg

More or less due north from Silver Lake Flat is what I presume you are calling the Milkmaid trail. Over to the right, Mary Ellen Gulch trail is clearly labeled as such. I presume the smaller trail in between them is Major Evans Gulch, and I guess that's the one you say is closed.

Is this all correct?

sixstringsteve

There is a connector trail between major evans and the trail north of Silver Lake Flats. However, this connector trail has a locked gate at the top. Unless you know the owner and have a key to the gate, you'll never be able to connect to major evans.

At least that's how I understand it.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Okay, here is a screen grab from Google maps:

silverlk.jpg

More or less due north from Silver Lake Flat is what I presume you are calling the Milkmaid trail. Over to the right, Mary Ellen Gulch trail is clearly labeled as such. I presume the smaller trail in between them is Major Evans Gulch, and I guess that's the one you say is closed.

Is this all correct?

The short trail with the "t" a few inches east of Silver Lake is Milkmaid, Googles map data set is obviously lacking as they don't show a road between that segment and the route heading north out of Silver Lake Flat.

The long and windy road heading north and east is Upper Major Evans Gulch. It does not connect with Major Evans (proper) and as noted its gated just as it enters the Upper Major Evans gulch, i.e. long before you get to those switchbacks in the upper bowl. Old and I mean like 1920's old maps do show what looks to be a connection with Upper Major Evans Gulch and the lower section but I can assure you it doesn't exist for a 4x4. A bike, maybe... on foot easily done but not happening in a 4x4 nor has it ever imo. Steve where I turned around when we road this on our bikes last fall is the literal turn around for the lower Major Evans Gulch (above the cemetery) route. There are a couple of neat mines, tram towers, cabin sites, etc to check out in that area but both trails are rather short and easily driven in a few hours or less. Google maps are a disservice in this case as a. they don't show you whats actually there and b. they don't show you what is legally open for motorized use.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The Milkmaid Trail above Silver Lake Flat Reservoir can be a fun 4WD mandatory route but mostly in the form of loose and often wet rocks. There are some neat mines to spy if you know where to look.

The short trail with the "t" a few inches east of Silver Lake is Milkmaid, Googles map data set is obviously lacking as they don't show a road between that segment and the route heading north out of Silver Lake Flat.

Thanks for all the info. I may have to head up there and take a look this summer.