Ford highboy on rockwells

660griz

Would like to hear from anyone that has put rockwell axles under a ford highboy. I have a 74 that I would like put rockwells under it. How much work is it to do this, steering issues, brakes .etc. Basically anything that would help me if I decide to do this. It isn't going to be a rockcrawler or anything , just a cruise around town truck, parades etc. Well maybe run the Platte when it gets low enough. Thanks for any help.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
whats the reasoning for the Rockwells then?

They are big, leaky, heavy, and low geared. If your not wheeling it hard with big tires.......There isnt much of a NEED for them.

660griz

No reson for them spefically I guess. Thought that would be the best way to go for huge tires and lift. Any other ideas?

B2-Bomber

a set of rockwells, and beefed up suspension to even hold them will add something like 2,000 lbs to the weight of your vehicle, the parasitic loss of turning them is huuuge, i read somewhere that a set of rockwells robs 100 extra horsepower to turn them.

get a set of floating axles dana 60 or bigger. and go from there. if you are only going to make it a parade-queen/mall-crawler then rockwells really would be unnecesarry

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Listen to Cheston on this one believe me he knows. Either you have a use for rockwells or you don't and it sounds like the hassle and issues you would have of dealing with rockwells will serve you no purpose. Get some 1 tons and make it easier on yourself with the build as well as your maintenance.

Rockwells have a good place in the off road world but on the street they really serve no purpose.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
they're probably the best way to get 3' of lift and run enormous tires. If you're only going to use it for parades and whatever you might as well.

To throw a set under a truck is not that bad-- but to make them work properly, and safely, is a LOT of work, and none of it is cheap. Want high-steer arms? Shell out. Want wheel brakes so you can (maybe) pass inspection? Thousands of dollars.

...all to end up with some Alabama-looking redneck-mobile. But hey! it's your money! :D

ChestonScout

Chevycrew had a set under his crew cab chev truck. Ran 46" Michelins and he cruised down the road just fine. He had the drum brakes working and ran a high steer arm I believe. I liked it....

But it now has 1 ton axles under it.

I love my Rockwells. I doubt I would build another trail rig without them. But I have no desire to make a street rig with them.

If your expecting cheap..... Like Tacoma said.....think again. Pinion brakes are not street legal.

There are cheapish ways to do everything. You can junkyard together some wheel brakes but it will take a TON of work.

As for the axles themselves...they are simple to work on. Just heavy.

ChestonScout

probably smart.

You can pick up wheels all day long for 8 lugs. Hard to find something used for Rockwells.

Either way tho.....POST A BUILD THREAD!!!

I love old high boys!

660griz

Right now it has just a 3" body lift and 38x11 michelins. It rides like a dream on those tires. I just want it higher and prolly run the 46 inch michelins. I know this isn't really a rock crawler, but I get a lot of ideas off rme. thanks everyone for all the advise.

ChestonScout

those are cool axles.

But you will have to cut and turn the knuckles to get a decent pinion angle for the lift he wants to run. Since these are front loaders.

ChestonScout

that might get it enough.

If I had to guess I would say those axles are closer to 4 ton. The center section looks to be a zf 106. The same a lot of monster trucks run. Pretty cool.

I say go for it!