What to do about a gas tank? Stretched YJ

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
So, I've got a YJ now. It's getting stretched-- about 4-5" in the back on leaves, and it's getting linked and stretched about a foot up front-- not sure just how much yet.

Looking it over, the rear stretch shouldn't be a problem but I'm having some difficulty thinking about the gas tank. Looking online, it looks like most people either put the tank in the "bed", or use the wicked-pricey GenRight tank, which I can't really justify at nearly $1k. The kids have threatened to smother me in my sleep if I leave the rear seat out, so I'm thinking about going to an under-seat tank.

Obviously that worked fine in earlier Jeeps and Land Cruisers, so can anyone think of any reason NOT to do this-- other than possibly range? Maybe I could run two? the seats will be mounted to the cage, so that should work out alright. Probably use that tube/pin slider arrangement.

anyway, anyone have any criticism, advice, etc before I start chopping?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You ever look at Marc Bryson's YJ? He raised the tank by a few inches, gaining the room he needed and raising the seat a bit. It was a good way to keep the stock tank and get a stretch.

idahoyj

Blue torch has one in the 850 range too. I went Genright because I got In on a free shipping deal. There are several universal type tanks that can be made to fit behind the seat too. I've also seen people online who just modify a stock skid plate for more clearance and heat form the plastic tank to fit inside..... The Genright tank is a very clean and simple install, and it keeps fuel and the associated smell/safety concerns OUTSIDE of the vehicle.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have also seen the stock cut and heat mold to get by. Simple cut the shape needed into the skid plate. Take a heat gun and work the area on the plastic tank with some heat. Once you get it warmed up you stuff it into the reshaped skid plate. After several applications of heat and pressing it in the skid will reshape the plastic tank. Hell you want to go one cheaper get a second factory skid and stitch weld the two together for a pretty beefy skid on the cheap.

Kirk

I ended up making a tank - I used 10 guage and doubled the bottom for a skid plate. I had it bent up by a sheet metal place, then welded it together. To make room for a pushed back axle, I have thought of just cutting a 6" pipe in half (long ways, and welding that across the front of the tank (vertical) so the diff could move up without hitting. I think I put some pictures of the tank in my stretch thread....Don't regret making it at all.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Sam's Off-Road make a cool stainless steel tank that fits behind the seat, 15 gal with bottom feed for an external fuel pump. What I use and works great.

JeepinGuru

Show em ( o Y o )
attachment.php
564934_3282590963191_1091735914_n.jpg 527700_3282592963241_451128607_n.jpg i went with the 19gal RCI2191A just because we go on longer runs and have a heavy right foot lol just flipped the seat brackets to move the rear forward and fits great also have used the 15gal 2162A and fits with no seat bracket flip, i opted to mount the pump in tank first to keep it running cool second i couldnt stand the sound of a frame mounted pump out on the trail all day then I modified the pickup to be more in the center and i still need a hose for the rollover port but you get the idea

Last edited:

JeepinGuru

Show em ( o Y o )
Can anyone actually sit in that rear seat??? that looks awfully close to the seat back in that last pic. :D

lol really no reason to put a seat in if you couldnt use it so yea in that pic the pass. seat is unbolted and leaning back while i was working on the shifter. seat is only about 1.5" forward from stock location
427788_3290352157216_858252164_n.jpg 550460_3290363557501_2065342282_n.jpg

Last edited:

B2-Bomber

I ended up making a tank - I used 10 guage and doubled the bottom for a skid plate. I had it bent up by a sheet metal place, then welded it together. To make room for a pushed back axle, I have thought of just cutting a 6" pipe in half (long ways, and welding that across the front of the tank (vertical) so the diff could move up without hitting. I think I put some pictures of the tank in my stretch thread....Don't regret making it at all.

have the tank coated on the inside, i made mine from steel, until i had it coated it rusted and plugged filters more often that it should have. J-Mac can do an awesome job coating them, or you can buy the kit from"KREEM"

rondo

rondo
On my YJ I started by moving the plastic tank to the back with my kid seat on the side. We can't have any more kids so it works for us. The tank in there was ok but it looked redneck. then afterr a year? took it to Rock Logic and they put in a alum cell with electric fuel pump. Has worked like a charm and never let me down. (note that they never hooked up the fuel gauge, never put rubber pads under the tank just bolted metal alum to metal floor, run rubber fuel hoses thru sharp tight metal holes in the floor, and made promises to fix it but didn't. But i guess all that is no surprise to anyone here.
Now my neighbor put his fuel cell in his TJ behind the seat and it works great. He used the stock pump but had to make a custom bracket to move the fuel pump far enough down inside the tank to make it work.

Spidey

after several times stretching and restretching a YJ. I would strongly suggest just cutting the frame and body and stretching the whole rig rather than fork out a fortune for an awkward result. just my two cents. A lot easier than you think and if you do the work yourself it will be cheaper.

Team1k

Im kinda in the same pickle. I actually did form/melt the tank to clear the diff and now the problem ive ran into is my axle truss for the long arms is contacting the crossmember back there so even with the bend in the tank i cant push the axle back as much as i want. What ill end up doing is cutting that cross member out, reinforcing the body mounts that are on it, moving the axle back where i want it, then calling up a guy on KSL who makes custom aluminum tanks and have one fitted in the space thats left.

bamacpl

RCI now makes a poly tank just like the aluminum 2161a that is much better..... Won't crack 1000 times!!!
Here is mine, fits right behind the seat & my two kids sit back there just fine!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350003039.441723.jpg