Moab rock crawling and rock hounding

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I had the use it or lose it vacation problem at work so the wife and I went to Moab to do some wheeling and rockhounding. We got down Wednesday morning last week and gassed up and went up to Hurrah Pass and from there we went to Lockhart Basin. We didn't take a bunch of pictures because it was so smoky. The bad air made it hard to see Canyonlands. I did take some pictures and they turned out better than I expected so I wish I had taken more. We got to the usual camping area in Lockhart at dark. In the morning we hiked and drove around a bit looking for rocks then headed back to Moab. After picking up supplies we headed out to the Yellow Cat/ Poison Strip area to look for the elusive red petrified wood. We went to an area that we found GPS coordinates for on the net and found lots of agate, and selenite crystals. We wanted to find a softer spot for the tents so we headed back east towards the area most people go and found a softer spot. In the morning I got up early and went for a hike up the mountains. I ended up finding lots of rocks including agate psuedomorphs after barite, gastrolyths, copralite, barite, agate and hopefully some of the redwood. I went back down and got my wife and we gathered up some good samples. After some breakfast we headed over to the Yellowcat mining area and did some more searching and found some more good stuff. After the jeep was about on the bump stops we decided to head to Salina and hang out with the grandkids for the rest of the weekend. It was a fun trip the weather was great and we found lots of solitude that helped me unwind. I didn't take any pictures of the Yellowcat area since cameras and rocks don't mix well. Here are a few shots. If you go out that way to look for rocks I found that the best way to find stuff was to hike farther than most people do and hit areas where there hasn't been much traffic.

Attachments

• IMGP4232.jpg
    IMGP4232.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP4233.jpg
    IMGP4233.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP4235.jpg
    IMGP4235.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP4236.jpg
    IMGP4236.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMGP4238.jpg
    IMGP4238.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMGP4251.jpg
    IMGP4251.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP4253.jpg
    IMGP4253.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMGP4254.jpg
    IMGP4254.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGP4255.jpg
    IMGP4255.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP4256.jpg
    IMGP4256.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

midog

I should take my kids for a trip like this, they love rocks! Sounds like you had a great trip!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We had a great time, if you want to take the kids I can point you in the right direction to several areas around the state depending on what they want to find.

midog

We had a great time, if you want to take the kids I can point you in the right direction to several areas around the state depending on what they want to find.

That would be great! We have been to the dugway geobeds and to a fossil bed up spanish fork canyon and that is all. Allways up for a new explore!

Wood fossils would be fun!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That sounds like a great trip. I will have to pm you the next time I head to moab.