Here we go again...

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I just got a notice in the mail today from SITLA. Seems they want to auction off a bunch more land, and two of the parcels are in Pole Canyon south of Moab... yep, the same Pole Canyon where Lower Helldorado was recently sold.

This time the parcels are a quarter-section (160 acres) and a half-section (320 acres). I can't tell from the map exactly where they are, or if any trails might be included (Upper Helldorado, more of Strike Ravine, and Coyote Canyon are in the area).

We (RR4W) have a meeting on Friday with SITLA on an unrelated matter, and I will try to get more info then. In the meantime, just consider this a heads-up. The notice is also on the SITLA website.

Jeff

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Please continue keep us posted Jeff. If the land does include any Trails, hopefully the 4wd crowd can purchase it this time & we can delegate what happens with the area.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Forgot to mention, the auction will be at 10:00 AM on May 14, 2004, at the Little America Hotel in Salt Lake.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I got the same SITLA letter:

Areas for Auction:

Carbon County: Bishop Ridge and Cedar Ridge
Grand County: Chapman Lane
Kane County: East Zion Gateway
San Juan County: Pole Canyon
Summit County: Stag Canyon

WTF? Even the SITLA mailer describes the Pole Canyon area as "popular with the four-wheeling community"... so some greenie group can get em' WTF?

Stay tuned.. my website will have descriptions, maps, etc ASAP...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Boy, I wish I had a nice lump sum of money and any family monetary issues were totally taken care of................Kurt, is there a place to contribute to actually BUY parcels like this? U4WDA? USA-ALL? I'm in for $50 or so......maybe a little per month???

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
mbryson said:
...Kurt, is there a place to contribute to actually BUY parcels like this? U4WDA? USA-ALL? I'm in for $50 or so......maybe a little per month???

Not 100% sure... let me do some chatting and get some more info... :D

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
mbryson said:
Boy, I wish I had a nice lump sum of money and any family monetary issues were totally taken care of................Kurt, is there a place to contribute to actually BUY parcels like this? U4WDA? USA-ALL? I'm in for $50 or so......maybe a little per month???
An interesting idea. Perhaps we should set something like that up. (gears turning)

XJEEPER

mbryson said:

We've talked about this after the last sale.........the land could be purchased by an Org. and then offered as shares to those with 4wd interests. IIRC, the last sale price sold for less than $500 an acre......most folks could come up with that on a credit card advance or sig loan. I'm VERY interested in buying some land in the Moab area.
Jeff

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
$500 acre x 320 acres = $160,000. Not too bad for 320 acres of land... I think it could be done, given the right resources.

Caleb

addifan said:
How can we find out if the land is really only going to sell for $500 an acre? That seems quite low.

they dont kinow for sure, they are just going by what the previous parcel of land right by this stuff sold for...

land tends to be fairly cheap when it in remote places with no services;)

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The last parcel at Ploe Canyon went for $42K. That works out to 262.50/acre. Obviously that met or exceeded the minimum acceptable selling price. As for being able to sell off individual parts of the the original you would have to get info from the county the land is in, in this case San Juan County.

Read the info very carefully, there are some restrictions on the land, and the mineral rights are not being given with the sale. So the holder of the mineral rights can come in and mine it if they choose to. There is an archaeological covenant also on the Pole Canyon parcels. No utilities anywhere near, although a high tension line crosses the property. Which brings up another caveat, all rights of way and easements for power lines, pipelines, roads, and access to porperties that may be behind the parcels. All bids must have a minimum of 10% down payment included with the bid, however the remainder can be financed through SITLA after paying all closing costs.

What I'm getting at is be informed before jumping in. I'm seriously considering placing my own bid here. Just need to get some things worked out first.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I just finished looking at some maps at a club member's house this morning, and best I can tell, the parcels that are for sale include Upper Helldorado and a bunch of Strike Ravine, as well as numerous other old roads.

I'm sure that San Juan County will try to claim at least some of the roads in the area, but Upper Helldorado will probably be in the same boat as Lower. I'll try to confirm all this with the local SITLA people, but it could take a little while (the previous director is no longer there, and they haven't hired his replacement yet).

In talking with SITLA last week, I was also told that they would like to sell the area where Proving Grounds are located for a housing developement. Nothing official on this yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We need to buy Upper Helldorado if we can. There are some other canyons close that have some cool stuff too.

Caleb

kruzr69 said:
When we find out if we can pitch in, I'm in for an acre or two.
Tony

you mean costwise or??? I dont think we are gonna be able to claim an acre or two...basically you put in $500 or $1000 or whatever and then it goes in one persons or one organizations name.