Archived Partial Trail Closure on Hells Revenge

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Bad news, the Red Rock 4 Wheelers (and the public in general) are NOT going to be able to use the Rubble Trouble loop on Hells Revenge. As of last week, it has a gate up, right at the top of Rubble Trouble, marking the start of the private property. We in the club believe this was incorrectly closed as it should be a county road, and on the Master Travel Plan for the county. And even though it is private property, we believe a prescriptive easement should exist for this section of trail, due to the fact that we've been using this part of the trail for over 30 years. After talking extensively with the head of the County Road Department, we unfortunately are not going to be able to get this resolved before Jeep Safari. But take my word for it when I say that the club will not give up on this, we will definitely pursue it after Safari. Please spread the word, so everybody knows of this unfortunate closure.

Thanks,
David Adams
RR4W Land Use Officer

Image0179.jpg

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
This is part of the Steen property (the owners of the Sunset Grill). But I do not believe it was done maliciously, in fact the actual owners of the property probably don't even know about it. I imagine it was closed by the people who are setting up the new zip lines up by Hells Revenge. I bet they closed it to prevent people from using the new access road they just built going up the hillside to the zip line area. And in all reality, it was probably done out of ignorance not realizing we use that part of the trail, or that a public easement exists on it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm having a hard time thinking of where this is located on the trail... Any hints?

Cherokeester

It is an alternate ending. You take off right just after tipover challenge and wind around a ways to find it. I love that way and used to do it all the time. I hope they resolve the issue. Thanks dave for taking it on.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Well, for all you people that think "taking back Utah" is a good idea, remember this part of the trail used to be on SITLA land. The state sold it and now the private owners are closing part of the trail for commercial interests. Hopefully it'll get reopened, but what a hassle. Signs and portents of events if the state took over all federal land in the state.

zukijames

Well, for all you people that think "taking back Utah" is a good idea, remember this part of the trail used to be on SITLA land. The state sold it and now the private owners are closing part of the trail for commercial interests. Hopefully it'll get reopened, but what a hassle. Signs and portents of events if the state took over all federal land in the state.

From what I heard we are not sure who closed it or why

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Yes, but the land that that part of the trail is on was once SITLA land that was sold to a private interest. The private interest, be it maliciously or not, decided to close the trail.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I got this the other day from the head of the county road department:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should be recieving an email from the Sheriff's Office informing you that both gates have been removed. The green routes on the map are Class D county roads that are open to public travel in the County Travel Plan and have been since about 2002. The Jeep Safari routes are a subset of these Class D roads.

The Sheriff went up Monday and removed the wire and posts on Tip Over and Rubble Trouble at the direction of the County Council. I personally believe that the Zip Line folks wanted the roads closed during Jeep Safari, but I have no proof of that. If we continue to work together in this manner we should be able to keep the public access open for any road in the Travel Plan. Especially those that serve as the only way into a certain area as did these 2 roads.

Bart

AWESOME new Dave and thanks for sticking with it. It was a shame not to be able to run it during EJS, but I'm glad it's back open. It does piss me off that new parties move in and want to claim the rights that have been public for years. I'd like to send out a boycott on the Zip head company that did that.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
So I guess taking back Utah isn't all such a bad idea after all. Could you imagine how long it would take to resolve this if the Fed were involved?