Best/strongest way to attach chain to trailer?

kirk86CJ

I got a 5/16 chain from Utah Barrel yesterday and I cut it in half to independently tie both sides of my front axle down. (i have been using one long chain) I currenly have two weld on D rings on the front of the trailer. I want to attach each chain to the d ring, then go back around the axle, then hook the chain back to itself. I figure the biggest shank I can get through the last link is 7/16". I have one of those chain link type things than some people use to secure their safety chain. It is shaped like a big link, with a long nut on one side that threads itself closed. My second thought is get a clevis with a 7/16" pin and use that.

BTW, I use straps on the back to tighten the jeep down.

Any suggestions on what would be better/stronger/safer?

Thanks
kirk

Caleb

my opinion is to use the chain on the rear and the straps on the front. Then use some big hooks like wreckers use to go around your rear axle. hook them up then tighten it down with the straps.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
supergper said:
my opinion is to use the chain on the rear and the straps on the front. Then use some big hooks like wreckers use to go around your rear axle. hook them up then tighten it down with the straps.

Ditto that... most of the kinetic forces of you vehicle are when you are slowing down fast... Therefore use the straps in the front and the chains in the rear.. If you set it up as per supergper's specs, there is no need to be able to adjust the chain...

kirk86CJ

I appreciate the opinions, but we went through this a couple weeks ago. My straps are rated for 10K working load each (4" wide). I use the big semi trailer winches. I think I am ok on that. I am interested in finding out what you guys think about attaching the chain to the weld on d rings for the front.

Thanks

kirk86CJ said:
I appreciate the opinions, but we went through this a couple weeks ago. My straps are rated for 10K working load each (4" wide). I use the big semi trailer winches. I think I am ok on that. I am interested in finding out what you guys think about attaching the chain to the weld on d rings for the front.

Thanks

Chain to properly sized and welded on D-rings, fine. Question: how is your axle attached to the jeep? If it's with links, or shackle in the front, fine. If it's a shackle reversal set up, then I would NOT use your axle. I'll explain if needed.

I used to chain the rear axle, cinch it forward with the starter, then strap the front bumper/frame. Chains and straps hooked to pockets on sides of trailer.

Now, I strap all four corners of the frame to the trailer. Main reason? It's just as strong or stronger, AND easier. I could argue that it's better for frame or for axle (based on how our rigs are built), but bottom line, since it's strong enough either way, it's just easier.

Brett

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Kirk, do you get the impression nobody's really reading your original post? :confused:

I think your thread-together chain-link thingy is just fine, especially since it's larger than the chain size. D-rings are always great too. If you already own one of 'em, use that. :)

Basically, I think you already answered your own question. :cool:

kirk86CJ said:
I got a 5/16 chain from Utah Barrel yesterday and I cut it in half to independently tie both sides of my front axle down. (i have been using one long chain) I currenly have two weld on D rings on the front of the trailer. I want to attach each chain to the d ring, then go back around the axle, then hook the chain back to itself. I figure the biggest shank I can get through the last link is 7/16". I have one of those chain link type things than some people use to secure their safety chain. It is shaped like a big link, with a long nut on one side that threads itself closed. My second thought is get a clevis with a 7/16" pin and use that.

BTW, I use straps on the back to tighten the jeep down.

Any suggestions on what would be better/stronger/safer?

Thanks
kirk

That will work...but what a PITA, you will likely need a wrench/pliers half the time. Why not hooks?

I wouldn't. btdt with those, and I even keep one or two around for when I need them (the link things).

Sometimes cheap and different is good (innovative), sometimes it's a waste of time...I'm all about trailering safely, (first and foremost) so with that in mind, and all the other crap I need to do to go on a trip, taking more time hooking the jeep to the trailer is the last thing I need.

Safe and quick. Big ass straps that are simple and easy to use, good tie down points; pull it on, shut it off, strap it down, done.

troutbum

cubi-kill
I have always thought that chaining the axles was a big no-no? Thought you were supposed to chain the frame down and compress the suspension???? :confused:

Caleb

troutbum said:
I have always thought that chaining the axles was a big no-no? Thought you were supposed to chain the frame down and compress the suspension???? :confused:

depends who you talk to ...I have always and always will chain to the axles...I can get my chains and straps nice a secure that way...when you chain to the frame you ahve the suspension play to factor in, unless you compress it with a winch (like wreckers do) you are still gonna get some compression on bumps and such...I have seen straps come off and when you arrive the vehicle/atv is barely sitting on the trailer...also having the suspension compress and shock load the straps/chains has gotta be killer on them...

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've ALWAYS gone to the axles. Tow truck "J" hooks, and let the suspension take up the ride. "J" hooks aren't cheap, but you can do the same with regular tow chain a couple binders.

Personally, I would never use straps just because they wear, sun rot, and will stretch. I can load mine in less time than the avaerage guy. and never bother looking back.

troutbum said:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
BCGPER said:
I've ALWAYS gone to the axles. Tow truck "J" hooks, and let the suspension take up the ride. "J" hooks aren't cheap, but you can do the same with regular tow chain a couple binders.

Personally, I would never use straps just because they wear, sun rot, and will stretch. I can load mine in less time than the avaerage guy. and never bother looking back.

Check it out, you're only two years late!

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Yeah, I noticed...... Blame Greg, this was a new thread acording to my browser! Still but still good reading, and it nice to hear from those who are full of it (edit names here):greg:

I Lean said:
Check it out, you're only two years late!

way2nosty

I always use chains, I've had several bad eperiences with straps, one chain front one chain back 4 boomers two loops around the tube suck it down. I use one chain so I don't have to cut it and dedicate it, it can be a tow chain or whatever, with the way it's boomered there is no interaction between the sides. if you wan't a good deal on tie down stuff try an IFA it's rated and relatively inexpensive.

rollover

Do it like the pros. Tow trucks always Chain the rear axles and Winch down the front. most force on the load is always stopping. Not many tow rigs can take off like a rocket. But they can stop be stopped dead.