Dirtbike for the wife: build thread

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
When my wife and I were dating, we went out to 5 mile pass on a double date.
I let her ride my "dirtbike" and I only showed her how to shift from 1st into 2nd gear and back.
She rode around like the other girls that were with us and I expected her to ride around for a few minutes and go, "oh that's fun" and come back.

She was gone, completely out of sight for like 15 or 20 minutes....

I'm starting to get worried, this girl has never ridden a dirtbike in her life, I'm talking to my buddy and thinking, "great we are going to have to go find her, she must have wrecked somewhere."
Nope, she comes blasting back into camp revving out the bike and she asks, "how do I shift into 3rd!?"

Later that day she dumps the bike in a ditch and tears up her jeans and before I can run out there to help her pick it up, she's got it up and is trying to kick start it again bloody knee and all.

At that moment I thought, "Yup she's a keeper."

So anyways she's had a pitbike for a while, a Lifan 50cc that we swapped a 150cc Lifan motor into. Bigger forks... etc... The Tacoma-nator.

and the other day she says, "I think I'm ready for a bigger bike."
Cha-Ching. I heard, "buy me a bigger bike."

With a very small budget, and some important requirements, I started shopping:

1.) Price: I am a realist and I know she won't ride as often a me. (I'm not going to spend more than my bike on something that won't see as much seat time).

2.) Power: Good low end, Not too hard hitting, smooth torque, hard to stall.

3.) Slightly smaller size and shorter seat height than a full size MX (she's taller than Steve but I know it will make her more comfortable).

4.) Electric start: Heck I wish I had it... It's really nice when learning to not have to kick it on a big hill.
a.) redundancy, kick start also. It's important to me to have this if the battery dies (I've looked at a few ttr's and crf230f's that did not have this).

5.) Reliable.

6.) Light. (we'll as light as you can with electric start and lights).

7.) Possibly street legal. (having it street legal will motivate her to get her Motorcycle license and hopefully be more confident on trail if she rides it to around the neighborhood to friends's houses, etc...).

8.) Price.

I've been shopping for a while, had a few dorks try to sell me garbage, one guy even got the cash from me before I realized the thing had a non-functioning rear brake.
I looked at a lot of Japanese bikes like the TTR 150's (not enough power)
and TTR 250s and CRF230f's (too expensive).
I even looked at the Yamaha TT-200 (weird big tires).
and a lot of Chinese bikes (I've owned a few). And even a few projects.
I was seriously considering purchasing a YZ150 but Jeeper talked me out of it, citing the fact that he felt like he had to wring its neck to keep it in the powerband and many beginners just aren't going to be riding it that way.

Finally I stumbled upon this little gem

It started first kick, had plenty of low end (I could wheelie it easily), I could let out the clutch with nearly no throttle and it wouldn't stall, and I ran it up to 65 MPH
It has some easily repaired things and I was able to get a great price... I was sold!

It's an '09 Wildfire WF250.
Watercooled, 4T.
As best as I can tell these are manufactured by Apollo (designed by the Japanese and assembled in China) and have lots of Japanese parts (like a Mikuni carb)

I'm not sure the motor cross-over yet but it is likely a Honda clone.

80/100-21" front tire. 4.10-18" rear.

It's 56" WB as opposed to my 62" WB YZ400f

36" seat height, but I'm knocking down the rear coil adjuster (should net me another 1") and there is a lot of room to cut the seat if she wants it lower.

Electric and kickstart.

Street Legal! Acerbis DHH kit on it.

Looks to have aftermarket 7/8" bars and bar risers.

Aftermarket exhaust. Big rear disc (compared to drums on the crf230 and TTR230)

Rated at 17.8 HP with the stock exhaust and restrictive intake.

Brand new tires front and rear with the nubbies still on them.

Now I haven't surprised her yet because I'd like to get the pitbike sold first and get everything perfect first. (It needs a few things).
But I'm hoping to get it all sorted by Friday.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So the first order of business was to get it home without my wife seeing or noticing it in the garage... kinda tricky...

Then I had to replace the front brake line because it had a hole it in. $10.

Apparently bikes suck to bleed the brakes because the master cylinder is so small, so I bought a vacuum bleeder $20.

It has some nice features like this portion of the subframe that unbolts and swings up to hold down the battery.
Replace the dead battery $42.

The previous owner was a 17 year old kid who apparently didn't do the light kit or any modifications and he just rode it on the road.
So lots of bolts, washers and nuts were missing and some bent from being replaced with inferior hardware. $20

Only 1 bolt holding the front fender on...

And whoever installed the street legal kit used some speaker wire in places, so that has to go....

The lower suspension linkage piece (what is this called) had a broken bearing sleeve (weird). So I tore the bike down to get to that and rebuilt it.

Torn Down.

While I had it torn down I noticed some wallowed out suspension linkage bolt holes.

So that got some hardened washers welded on and a fresh coat of paint. (Duplicolor silver caliper paint is an exact match).

There was some rattling in the exhaust so I cut the rivets off and took a look. The bolts that hold the pipe to the muffler had backed out and were bouncing around.
So I tapped them for some larger metric 5mm bolts and loc-tited them in. Then re-riveted the exhaust together.

I think it looks quite nice. I also remounted it tighter to the body to give it a sleeker look.

The return spring on the kickstand went bad, (as the often do on these bikes) and I didn't care for how far out the thing sat when it was folded away.
So I bought a new one and bent it on my press and it fits quite nicely. $15

Old shape (black) vs. new (chrome)

It tucks in nice and tight now

I also added a fancy breather hose $2
and tightened the head bearings.

Tonight I'm going to tackle the wiring.

It goes pretty good... I was spinning some donuts in a parking lot at lunch and dumped it... and broke the fancy aftermarket Aluminum fold-away break lever... stupid...
So I guess I'll have to order some lever protection from Caleb.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I weighed it at 126 lbs front. 126lbs rear.
Figure another 2lbs for the battery.
So 254lbs.
Same as a TTR 230, and the crf230f

Not super super light, but 10lbs less than my bike with a starter, battery, lights, etc...

The more I dig into this thing the more impressed I am. There are all kinds of fancy anodized aluminum bits on it. Like brake line hold downs, gas cap, black anodized front forks, etc...

I had these smart guys read the plug for me:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?96979-Help-me-read-a-spark-plug&highlight=

Just some notes for myself later:
Rear axle bolt is 15mm...shoot maybe it's 17mm. As opposed to the 21mm on my bike.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks sweet! Look forward to seeing it come together. What do you plan on adding/fixing/etc?

Thanks man!

I added some stuff above, but I also plan on learning to adjust the carb and tune it real nice and then I need to fuss with the suspension.

The rear compression I think is set too high (it feels stiff in the rear compared to my YZ), and I'm going to drop the ride height a bit by lowering the spring preload.

The fuel filter I bought is too big, and I also topped off the oil and coolant.
I need to return a bunch of stuff to Wrights and Quad & Cycle (I kinda over bought a bunch of junk rather that going back and forth to SLC).

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Model:
WF250WS-PRO
Engine: 250cc 4 stroke
Cylinder Arrangement: Vertical / Single Cylinder
Starter System: Kick / Electric Start
Fuel Capacity: 1.3 Gallons
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Drive System: Chain
Front Suspension: Adjustable Air Shocks
Rear Suspension: Mono Shock
Front Brakes: Hydraulic Disc
Rear Brakes: Hydraulic Disc
Cooling System: Liquid Cooled
Tire Size: Front: 21" Rear: 18"
Seat Hight: 35"
Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
Rider Capacity: 1 rider
Size LxWxH: 75" x 30" x 47"
Weight: 254

Last edited:

rholbrook

You need to look at your math again on the weight. That does not look like any kind of a Honda motor. That looks like that will be a great bike for her.

I have some Fox riding pants and Fox jersey that will probably fit her. The pants are the outside the boot type in black and the Jersey is light blue, grey and white. I will have to see if they fit my daughter still. She is 5'10" and she wore these when she was 5'6" to 5'8".

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You need to look at your math again on the weight. That does not look like any kind of a Honda motor. That looks like that will be a great bike for her.

I have some Fox riding pants and Fox jersey that will probably fit her. The pants are the outside the boot type in black and the Jersey is light blue, grey and white. I will have to see if they fit my daughter still. She is 5'10" and she wore these when she was 5'6" to 5'8".

I wonder what motor it is closest too? My experience with my last one showed the motor to be dead reliable.
I've read that most of the big 4 outsource their lower end motor manufacturing to China.... and they unscrupulously copy them (or at least the discontinued stuff like the XR200 motor) (Hondata for example).

I hope she loves it. She doesn't abuse things like I do so I'm hoping it will work well for her.
I've sat on quite a few bikes in this "mid-size" category and it has better components than most and seems nearly as well put together as the Japanese bikes (in this category).
Minus the crappy hardware (it seems that's something the Chinese haven't quite figured out yet (my past experience says they tend to mark everything "8.8" when occasionally it's really cheap ungraded stuff), luckily bolts are cheap and I've replaced almost all of them just as a precaution).

Ha thanks, I fixed the weight ;)

I may actually weigh it again later. Just throwing it around it "feels" lighter than 252lbs, but that may just be because it's physically shorter.

Do check on the gear, my wife is 5'8".

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Sweet ride dude! I've never heard of that make before. I told elaina you got the wife a bike, now she's jealous. How much are you selling the pit bike for?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Sweet ride dude! I've never heard of that make before. I told elaina you got the wife a bike, now she's jealous. How much are you selling the pit bike for?

Thanks man, I had never heard of it either until it popped up. But I've seen and ridden a few like these in the past.
It easy pretty good looking I think.

I was thinking $400. I have the rear swing arm off right now to put new bushings in it and I was contemplating moving the shock mount to raise the rear up level with the front while I have it off.
The pitbike rips, seriously Jon clocked me at 55mph riding next to his Dodge Neon.

Apparently you can swap the YZ250 forks on these bikes. I'm going to measure the head tube but it might be a cool swap down the road.
http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29872&SearchTerms=250cc
Picture145.jpg

Also some of the research I've done points to the motor being a Yamaha knock off, but I'm still searching.

These bikes have very good parts availability though. I'm confidant if I break anything big I can replace it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10546783397

The Longxin 250 water-cooled engine

Loncin CG250 main technical parameters of the water-cooled engine Engine Model
..................... LC170MM displacement ............ ............ of 249 mL Bore × Stroke 70 × 64.8 (mm)
Compression ratio ........................... ...... 9.2:1
Maximum Power ......... 10.8kW (6500r/min)
Maximum torque ......... 19.5N • m (4000r/min)
Starting method ............... electric start
Ignition ............ CDI
valve clearance ... ...... 0.05 mm to 0.08 mm
direction of rotation ........................... clockwise
change gear .................. 0-2-3-4-5 clutch type .................. - Wet multi-plate
lowest fuel consumption ............... 354g/kW • h

more stuff
http://www.loncinengineparts.com/cg250-vertical-engine-information-here-p-11501.html

Anyways. I got a temp tag for the bike today.
I'm excited to go rip around with my wife

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I decided to give it to her Friday night after work. She was excited.

I got a temp tag for it and I still need to finish all the wiring but I've got it insured and we've been riding it around a bit. I'm impressed so far.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
[video=youtube;k7a3_EDhJ0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7a3_EDhJ0I&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Watch in 720p for best results.

Took a quick ride up Old Ward Canyon on the wife's bike to evaluate it and get a baseline for tuning.

Motor is strong, it has great low end and lugs really well, I didn't stall it once even in the big rocks.
The suspension is very good, not as good as my bike but I expected that.

Compression is set too high in the rear and I may pull some oil out of the front to soften it up.

It needs a knobby, I dumped it at 9:08 in the snow.

and I nearly crash at 11:37, definitely need a rear knobby tire.

I need to tune the idle as well.

Last edited: