Book Review: Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl

sixstringsteve

Man's Search For Meaning - A++

This book was written by Viktor Frankl, a psychologist and prisoner of 3 concentration camps during the Hitler Regime. Right when things started to get bad, it looked as though he would be sent to the camps. He had the opportunity to get a visa to the US to escape the camps, but his parents were not allowed to leave. Rather than flee the camps, he decided to stay home in Vienna, and be with his parents when they went to the camps. He had the opportunity to attend to his father as he was dying in the camps.

This book examines the psychological turmoil that he went through in the camps, and explains how he was able to survive. This is a very uplifting book that focuses more on how to stay positive despite what life throws at you, rather than focusing on the cruelties that occurred during that time. This is one of the top 5 books I've read in my lifetime. If you're looking for a fun, exciting fantasy story look elsewhere. If you're looking for an introspective look at a man's inner struggles and attempts to endure suffering well, this is the book for you. The version I bought has an added section that explains his psychological theory of "logos therapy." This section will probably be boring to most people, but with my background in sociology and psychology, I found it fascinating.

This book is well worth the read. He wrote the entire autobiography in 9 days, and it's less than 100 pages. It's easy to read, and will guarantee to change your outlook on anything you're struggling with.