Report Expedition Overland

LT.

I am sure that some of y'all are aware of Expedition Overlands videos on youtube. But, for those of you who are not, check them out. I have never done that kind of wheeling but, after watching a bunch of their videos, I really want to. I have been watching their videos for three hours straight now.

I am aware that there are a number of y'all who are into this and I am looking for some guidence here. What are some web sites I should check out to get more info? How about some sites for gear, knowlege, and the like?

I did a quick search but, I honestly don't know what to search for.

As always, thank you in advance.

LT.

Pike2350

I am sure that some of y'all are aware of Expedition Overlands videos on youtube. But, for those of you who are not, check them out. I have never done that kind of wheeling but, after watching a bunch of their videos, I really want to. I have been watching their videos for three hours straight now.

I am aware that there are a number of y'all who are into this and I am looking for some guidence here. What are some web sites I should check out to get more info? How about some sites for gear, knowlege, and the like?

I did a quick search but, I honestly don't know what to search for.

As always, thank you in advance.

LT.

I would say Expedition Portal is the biggest forum for that kind of stuff....some really awesome stuff on there from customer trailer/camper builds to ways to outfit your truck...and you can keep track of people's expeditions....pretty cool place really.

DAA

Here, and Expedition Utah are the only two sites I ever bother with for car camping stuff.

Nothing against ExPo, it's just "too much" for me, have never felt comfortable posting there, so never have.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
x3 on ExpeditionUtah.

Clay and crew from Expedition Overland are 100% fantastic peeps. I had the opportunity to travel through Russia/Siberia with Clay and can't say enough about what a awesome character he is. I'm really excited to see how things progress on their newest season. Would have been neat to be able to join them in AK.

LT.

x3 on ExpeditionUtah.

Clay and crew from Expedition Overland are 100% fantastic peeps. I had the opportunity to travel through Russia/Siberia with Clay and can't say enough about what a awesome character he is. I'm really excited to see how things progress on their newest season. Would have been neat to be able to join them in AK.

You are the Kurt that he mentioned in the Russia clip?! No way, how cool is that! Living in New Mexico it maybe a little tough as I am unaware of any areas that would require an expedition type rig. Every off road here can be covered in less than a day.

I am really geeking out on their teasers for the Alaska/Yukon trip. I also really liked their Montana/Wyoming trip. I guess first things first. I need to do a lot more reading and then figure out what kind of vehicle and prep I need to do.

Thank y'all so much for all the info and ideas.

LT.

DAA

I guess first things first. I need to do a lot more reading and then figure out what kind of vehicle and prep I need to do.

No, no, no, no, no!

Throw whatever stuff you have now into whatever you drive now and go camping/exploring with it. You probably don't actually need another dang thing, let alone a different vehicle, to get as deep into car camping as you'll ever really want to. But if you find yourself wishing you had more crap, or a particular piece of crap, or a special way of carrying that crap, then go ahead and buy it or build it or whatever.

I swear... I'm just about worn slick by people getting EXCITED to go car camping, then thinking they have to spend a year getting ready. Just pick a spot on the map, then throw your shit in and go!

- DAA

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i think the word Expedition is pretty funny. There are very few places you can go that will take you far from civilization, or have not been explored previously.

I love taking my camping gear and spending a few days on the trail. I like exploring new area's to me. But I tend to call it overlanding or camping and wheeling. nothing fancy here.

I do enjoy my heated leather seats and automatic in my Range Rover though.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
No, no, no, no, no!

Throw whatever stuff you have now into whatever you drive now and go camping/exploring with it.

^this.

We found out quickly that a bumper dumper was a necessity with 2 little girls. :) made one with parts on hand. Best thing ever!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You are the Kurt that he mentioned in the Russia clip?! No way, how cool is that!...

Yessir, that is my ugly mug. You can read more about my side of the trip here: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?94231-Wandering-Through-Siberia-Russia-E7-Trip-Report

Unfortunately Clay wasn't able to join us for Australia and Africa as he was filming for his upcoming season... I have no doubt this season will be epic.

...Throw whatever stuff you have now into whatever you drive now and go camping/exploring with it...

THIS!

...I'm just about worn slick by people getting EXCITED to go car camping, then thinking they have to spend a year getting ready...

AND THIS!

I think far too many place too much of an emphasis on being 'expedition' ready or 'expo built', to the point they spent 95% of their time and money getting ready and 5% of their time and money doing. While I'm a strong advocate of good gear and the right gear, the best gear is the stuff you find you need, not the stuff you think you need before you can go find. Clear as mud? :D

RogueJeepr

Here!
As most of us on here have . I would start out small distances (not 1,00 mile trip off the batt) . What ever new places ya would like to check out that's just a little further than you've been in the past. Push it further each time ya go out. But long distances should never be done alone. try to get a group round up that would like to see the same places as you. There is security in numbers . Also know your vehicle. If its up to the trip you planned. Know what quarks the vehicle has ( on mine I always bring a crank position sensor "CPS" with just in case) .
As for gear I started out with a regular sleeping bag and a tent. After that trip I picked up a air matress, then a warmer bag ect,ect.
Hope this helps with covering the basics.

blznnp

Kurt, do you know when clay will have some new season videos ready? Those videos are great to watch, only problem was that I would watch them at school instead of doing school work.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
As most of us on here have . I would start out small distances (not 1,00 mile trip off the batt) . What ever new places ya would like to check out that's just a little further than you've been in the past. Push it further each time ya go out. But long distances should never be done alone. try to get a group round up that would like to see the same places as you. There is security in numbers . Also know your vehicle. If its up to the trip you planned. Know what quarks the vehicle has ( on mine I always bring a crank position sensor "CPS" with just in case) .
As for gear I started out with a regular sleeping bag and a tent. After that trip I picked up a air matress, then a warmer bag ect,ect.
Hope this helps with covering the basics.
x2 on this idea. Sometimes the coolest places are not that far out of the way. Old ghost towns and such.

DAA

But long distances should never be done alone.

<shrug> About 98% of my trips have been single vehicle. About half without even a passenger. I find group runs a nice change of pace once in awhile. I've enjoyed the ones I've been on. But, I've also found, that for really covering some ground and seeing a LOT of cool stuff in a short three day trip, groups just don't work. Especially for really fluid movement like I prefer - that is, not sticking to a rigid itinerary, but letting the terrain and looks of the two tracks decide which direction I'm taking and simply camping wherever I end up that night.

Going with others is great, I'm not against it. But I'm living proof that going it alone isn't going to kill you. Heck, I haven't even put my eye out yet...

- DAA

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
You should also consider registering with the Utah Bureau of Badassedness Department (UBAD); I happen to still be the acting Director. Unfortunately, the Fed has our offices Barry-caided due to closure at this time.

Also, you should familiarize yourself with the expo point system outlined in the field manual which is in constant revision. Stephen can point you towards the latest edition which I believe is only available as a handsome hand-bound leather and titanium tome.

A quick tip:

Keep your expo close to your heart lest you draw the ire if the rock-crawly 99% ers.

Good luck out there and remember:

Patriot before expo.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I like going on Expedition Utah to view trip reports. But sometimes I can't view the pics since I'm not registered. Lol

LT.

Wow, after about five hours on expedition portal last night i think i am starting to understand this kind of adventure. We used to do this all the time but, we never called it expedition overlanding. Just simple load up the truck and family and drive til you wanted to camp. We just called it car camping back in the day.

For some reason I thought it was way more involved than it is. At any rate, thank y'all a bunch for all the help and ideas. Some years from now, when my babies are older, I want to drive the Alcan highway from start to finish.

LT.