06 LJ Rubi rebuild

Don't post often on RME but figured I would make this thread to track progress of my current project and see what you guys think.
I currently drive a stock 04 TJ that I just picked up a few months ago. It is for sale but im not pushing to sell it until the new jeep is ready to drive.
My dad picked up this 06 LJ rubi with 79k earlier this year.

I have always wanted an LJ and now I finally have one.. even though its wrecked.
We picked up this jeep through an auction and the pictures didn't do the damage justice. it was hit hard in the driver side rear corner, bending the frame into the rear floor. the frame kinked really bad right behind the spring perch. The jeep is currently on a frame machine being pulled. the driver side corner needed to be pulled back about 12 inches and right now it has about 5 left to go. The frame is fixable but to make things a little easier, we are going to cut off the rear section of the frame and section in the rear of a TJ frame which will add 5 inches to the wheel base. we already had the TJ frame that was damaged in the front so it worked out good. the rear corner and floor are in pretty bad shape but luckily we have a damaged LJ tub already with a good corner and floor to patch in. OH, and the best part about this is that the title is still clean :D

This LJ will stay either stock or about 2" of lift for right now and serve as my DD/ camping vehicle while I gather parts to go 1 ton. I already have a 14 bolt (thanks rockchucker) and should be picking up a king pin 60 here shortly. Phase 1 of this build is to get it drivable and back to stock but with a 5 inch stretch. Phase 2 will include the axles, coil overs, more stretch, highlines, armor, 42's and a few other goodies but that won't be for probably another 2 years or so. if there is ever a phase 3, it will be engine, tranny and tcase but im fine with what it already has. Phase 2 will include everything I want so I don't have to re-do anything.

I'd like to hear what you guys think or if you have and opinions.

-Corbin

Last edited:

corbin.black

I was hoping to have some sort of an update to this thread by now but not much has happened. The LJ frame and drivetrain and sitting inside an enclosed trailer waiting for on our frame guy to get back to work on it. We have also decided to do a tub swap instead of sectioning in the rear corner. the other LJ tub will be an easier fix as the damage is only on the firewall from a front end collision.

And stage 2 of this build has taken a new direction. This LJ will now be my DD/expedition rig once it is finished since last week (for my 22nd birthday) I was given a TJ frame (the one from sexton offroad) that is set up for coilovers up front, a 1997 blue TJ tub and a 1993 BJ D60 to go along with the 14 bolt I already have. Due to the title situation with the TJ, it will not be street legal and will be a great canidate to build instead of the LJ.
Since the TJ will not be a street legal rig, I have made the decision to purchase a tow rig and trailer. I have always wanted a 12v cummins so last week I began searching for one. There was one on RME for sale for 4k and I liked it but couldn't figure out funds before it sold. Then I spoke to my dad and told him to watch the auctions for something. Later that same day, he called me back and asked me if I would be interested in my Grandfathers old welding truck.
and to make a long story shorter.. I will be picking up a 1995 12v cummins single cab C&C set up as a welding truck. It has about 230xxx on it and has been in my family since '95. I have to sell my current TJ before I can pick it up so I will hold off on a build thread until I have the title and truck in hand. Also, my dad said that his 18 foot flat bed trailer will go along with the deal so I can haul the Jeep wherever.

corbin.black

The LJ is back on the frame machine. The body is off and we are going to pull on the frame just a little more. The Silver LJ tub is going to the frame shop today along with the rear section of the TJ frame. Hopefully we can keep the frame guy working and get this thing done sooner. I don't have any update pictures right now (jeep is in colorado and im at school in Utah) but ill see if my dad or little brother can go take some for me.

corbin.black

so with this project moving again, I have been debating which corner/rocker armor to go with for the stretch.
the cheap and easy option would be to buy LJ corners with stock openings/holes etc moved back 5 inches to match the new wheelbase.

Another option im considering is buying the poison spyder daddy long legs corner and rocker armor. this corner armor is only a 4" stretch but the wheel well is opened up for up to 40" tires. I have a set of 35" BFG A/T's that I could run that way im not running stocker wheels and tires with that large of an opening. Im going to be keeping the jeep pretty low for right now so in my mind the 35's won't look horrible but I may be wrong. Of course this option is more expensive especially since I would be buying front highlines to match.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? im leaning towards the poison spyder corners since they already have stretch corners for the LJ and I like the WW2WW rocker armer that matches the corners.
a lot of the other companies can do stretch LJ corners but that just add's up when you make custom mods to their products. unless there is another company im not thinking of?

corbin.black

Genright has 4" stretch LJ corners too..
I might be interested in selling some blank Genright steel LJ corners if you wanted.

The only problem I see with the genright stretch corners is that they are still stock height and at 4" that will have me off by 1" (i know thats the same as the PS stuff but with the larger openings, it will be less noticable). also, the PS 5" stretch with stock holes is cheaper than the genright corners. PM me a price on the blanks.. my little brother needs armor for his LJ's right now so if the price it right, I would be interested in buying him a birthday present or just using them myself.

Last edited:

corbin.black

Got word today that the frame is stretched and now its time to start working on the tub. The replacement tub we have is a silver LJ tub that was in a front end collision. . The engine was shoved into the firewall so there is some damage but it will be easier to replace than the original tub. After the tub is fixed, it will be painted white and then we will begin to reassemble the jeep. Then all that will be left is to order and install stretch corners and we should be good to go. Im headed to Colorado this weekend to view the progress and take some pictures to update this thread.

corbin.black

Thanks Aaron. It will be nice to have a vehicle to play around with once its done. Although I will still enjoy riding in your buggy every once in a while. Made any progress on the new one?

Cascadia

Undecided
Have you looked at the rubitrux kits? They used to be a lot cheaper. I went by their facility this summer in Boone NC just driving through and they looked like great quality.