06 LJ Rubi rebuild

Don't post often on RME but figured I would make this thread to track progress of my current project and see what you guys think.
I currently drive a stock 04 TJ that I just picked up a few months ago. It is for sale but im not pushing to sell it until the new jeep is ready to drive.
My dad picked up this 06 LJ rubi with 79k earlier this year.

I have always wanted an LJ and now I finally have one.. even though its wrecked.
We picked up this jeep through an auction and the pictures didn't do the damage justice. it was hit hard in the driver side rear corner, bending the frame into the rear floor. the frame kinked really bad right behind the spring perch. The jeep is currently on a frame machine being pulled. the driver side corner needed to be pulled back about 12 inches and right now it has about 5 left to go. The frame is fixable but to make things a little easier, we are going to cut off the rear section of the frame and section in the rear of a TJ frame which will add 5 inches to the wheel base. we already had the TJ frame that was damaged in the front so it worked out good. the rear corner and floor are in pretty bad shape but luckily we have a damaged LJ tub already with a good corner and floor to patch in. OH, and the best part about this is that the title is still clean :D

This LJ will stay either stock or about 2" of lift for right now and serve as my DD/ camping vehicle while I gather parts to go 1 ton. I already have a 14 bolt (thanks rockchucker) and should be picking up a king pin 60 here shortly. Phase 1 of this build is to get it drivable and back to stock but with a 5 inch stretch. Phase 2 will include the axles, coil overs, more stretch, highlines, armor, 42's and a few other goodies but that won't be for probably another 2 years or so. if there is ever a phase 3, it will be engine, tranny and tcase but im fine with what it already has. Phase 2 will include everything I want so I don't have to re-do anything.

I'd like to hear what you guys think or if you have and opinions.

-Corbin

Last edited:

corbin.black

Picked up some teraflex stuff for christmas.
Belly up, front long arms, front speed bumps, and rear short flex arms. Im going to build my own rear long arms later this year due to the 5" stretch.

Also for christmas my dad gave me the rear seat out of his LJ since he bought a GR8Tops half cab and won't use it anymore.

I've also made the decision to hold off on the 1 ton stuff due to being deployed later this year. By the time im back from deployment I should be able to build the jeep exactly how I want.

corbin.black

Changed direction a little bit but I like how its turning out...

As it sits right now: 111" wheelbase, 1.25" BL, stock springs, 19 5/16" frame height, JK front teraflex high pinion 44, trussed stock JK rear axle, 40x13.50x17 old style MTR's, teraflex pro lcg long arms etc

Both axles need to be pushed forward around an inch from where they are now, hoping to be ready for safari but I guess we will see

amp713

Dude i didnt realize this was your build till i saw this last pic! I liked the one on UJC where it was compared to the other jeep really makes a difference!

corbin.black

Been off the forum for a while due to a deployment with the Army and lots of other things. The jeep wheeled great on the 44's and 40's but I eventually swapped in 70" wide teraflex axles with ARB's and 41.5" pitbull rockers, raceline beadlocks, atlas 2 etc. Wheeled the jeep a ton over the past year and then sold it in November to a guy in lake tahoe. I miss the jeep but I don't regret the sale.

Attachments

• LJ.jpg
    LJ.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

corbin.black

Thanks Bart! Hopefully I'm here for a while this time :rofl:

It was a little hard being jeep-less and I wasn't planning on buying another LJ right away but my brother in law bought this one at auction and I couldn't resist.
2005 LJ rubicon
I don't have any plans at the moment so we will see what happens I guess

Attachments

• wreckedLJ.jpg
    wreckedLJ.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 26

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Welcome back and thank you for your service.

Missed this prior but the LJ came back from the wreck nicely. Personally I liked it better before the last axle swap. I liked it being all white on D44's a bit better, but that's just me.

Looking forward to your new LJ build. I miss my son's LJ and I think they are one of the best one's built, with the exception of my 2011 JKUR of course.:D

Mike

LJTim

Welcome back dude! The damage doesn't look to bad on this beauty. I'm excited to see where you take this one. From our conversations, it sounds like a fun one for sure.