06 LJ Rubi rebuild

Don't post often on RME but figured I would make this thread to track progress of my current project and see what you guys think.
I currently drive a stock 04 TJ that I just picked up a few months ago. It is for sale but im not pushing to sell it until the new jeep is ready to drive.
My dad picked up this 06 LJ rubi with 79k earlier this year.

I have always wanted an LJ and now I finally have one.. even though its wrecked.
We picked up this jeep through an auction and the pictures didn't do the damage justice. it was hit hard in the driver side rear corner, bending the frame into the rear floor. the frame kinked really bad right behind the spring perch. The jeep is currently on a frame machine being pulled. the driver side corner needed to be pulled back about 12 inches and right now it has about 5 left to go. The frame is fixable but to make things a little easier, we are going to cut off the rear section of the frame and section in the rear of a TJ frame which will add 5 inches to the wheel base. we already had the TJ frame that was damaged in the front so it worked out good. the rear corner and floor are in pretty bad shape but luckily we have a damaged LJ tub already with a good corner and floor to patch in. OH, and the best part about this is that the title is still clean :D

This LJ will stay either stock or about 2" of lift for right now and serve as my DD/ camping vehicle while I gather parts to go 1 ton. I already have a 14 bolt (thanks rockchucker) and should be picking up a king pin 60 here shortly. Phase 1 of this build is to get it drivable and back to stock but with a 5 inch stretch. Phase 2 will include the axles, coil overs, more stretch, highlines, armor, 42's and a few other goodies but that won't be for probably another 2 years or so. if there is ever a phase 3, it will be engine, tranny and tcase but im fine with what it already has. Phase 2 will include everything I want so I don't have to re-do anything.

I'd like to hear what you guys think or if you have and opinions.

-Corbin

Last edited:

corbin.black

Rubitrux used to make their own kits. Maybe they don't anymore.

I can't seem to find anything on an actual kit. my guess is with all the new JK's they are doing.. they have stopped the TJ/LJ stuff like so many other companies.
I have looked into getting a GR8 half top but I dont think that will happen any time soon.

corbin.black

Went and saw the jeep in person this weekend. It is starting to look like a Jeep again

5" of stretch with stock wheel wells

Random body shots

Welded frame section.. can't even tell where it was cut. Also, cut off the TJ body mount as it isn't needed

Body is still slightly off but should come together nicely after a little more work

and a random shot of the Tabor winch (made by Warn I guess)

corbin.black

Custom poison spyder daddy long legs armor was ordered today. Also traded a stock soft top and my 5 Rubicon wheels straight across for an LJ hard top

Last edited:

corbin.black

Got a call from PSC and my custom corners have been cut and bent. They just need to weld the flares on and ship everything to the shop. Ive decided we will be re-welding the factory lip back on once we cut the hood and ill be using rokmen hood pins as well for a cleaner look.
I've been having trouble decided what color I want to paint everything and my wife convinced me at EJS that we should paint the entire jeep stone white.. including the hard top.
The body is 95% welded back together and we should be extending brake lines etc in the next few weeks.
Sounds like the jeep should be done in June.. only problem is I will be out of the country at that time :rofl:

corbin.black

Point Spyder Armor showed up yesterday at the shop. My little brother sent me a few pictures to look at until I get to the shop next week.

We should start fitting the corners and rockers soon so we can fix a few waves in the body. Ill be leaving the country soon for a while so im leaving the LJ with my dad for the finishing touches amd body work.

Also this week, i ordered and received a used tank out of Nebraska since the 05-06 tanks are a little hard to find. A new fuel pump should be here in a week or two.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
05. Came with the frame I am using on my next build, but am using an older tj tank. Even have a pump.

corbin.black

X3 I have one from an 06 can't unload it. Rig is looking great, did Poison Spyder turn those custom corners in short time and was there an extra fee?

Man I really messed up on the tank situation!! Lol
And the custom armor (corners and matching rockers) actually came fairly quick. Almost exactly a month from purchase date to the shop. It was like $86 extra for the custom cut and it wasn't really necessary but if I'm going to pay that much, what does another $86 hurt to get them exactly as I want them. Ive been very impressed with everything I've ordered from PS so far.

corbin.black

Yeah, it was like $86 for the custom cut. I had them move the wheel openings back 1", the rockers extended 1" to match, the fuel location moved 1" and had them add cut-outs for the stock tailgate and had them remove the spiders on the back of the corners.