06 LJ Rubi rebuild

Don't post often on RME but figured I would make this thread to track progress of my current project and see what you guys think.
I currently drive a stock 04 TJ that I just picked up a few months ago. It is for sale but im not pushing to sell it until the new jeep is ready to drive.
My dad picked up this 06 LJ rubi with 79k earlier this year.

I have always wanted an LJ and now I finally have one.. even though its wrecked.
We picked up this jeep through an auction and the pictures didn't do the damage justice. it was hit hard in the driver side rear corner, bending the frame into the rear floor. the frame kinked really bad right behind the spring perch. The jeep is currently on a frame machine being pulled. the driver side corner needed to be pulled back about 12 inches and right now it has about 5 left to go. The frame is fixable but to make things a little easier, we are going to cut off the rear section of the frame and section in the rear of a TJ frame which will add 5 inches to the wheel base. we already had the TJ frame that was damaged in the front so it worked out good. the rear corner and floor are in pretty bad shape but luckily we have a damaged LJ tub already with a good corner and floor to patch in. OH, and the best part about this is that the title is still clean :D

This LJ will stay either stock or about 2" of lift for right now and serve as my DD/ camping vehicle while I gather parts to go 1 ton. I already have a 14 bolt (thanks rockchucker) and should be picking up a king pin 60 here shortly. Phase 1 of this build is to get it drivable and back to stock but with a 5 inch stretch. Phase 2 will include the axles, coil overs, more stretch, highlines, armor, 42's and a few other goodies but that won't be for probably another 2 years or so. if there is ever a phase 3, it will be engine, tranny and tcase but im fine with what it already has. Phase 2 will include everything I want so I don't have to re-do anything.

I'd like to hear what you guys think or if you have and opinions.

-Corbin

Last edited:

corbin.black

Spent the weekend in Colorado putting a few things back together on the LJ and its now back at the bodyshop for paint.
I started the jeep for the first time since it was purchased (september 2012) and it ran great. Threw a spare tire in as a seat and drove around the parking lot just for fun

corbin.black

The jeep is finally with me.. not finished but it is drivable.

The front is sagging big time, the front lower CA's are parallel to the ground.
From the top of the tire to the bottom of the rear flare is 8", 6.75" to the front flare.
15.5" frame height, 11.75" to the skid

corbin.black

took the jeep camping up huntington canyon this weekend and found a small ditch. the rear tucks up nice but the front hits the stock bump stops and won't stuff into the fender very far. I need to adjust the front bumps and probably stretch the front end an inch or two to get it to tuck better.

corbin.black

corbin.black

Looks like its time for a small update..

I bought my very first house so the jeeps have a new place to sleep at night

Been having some slight steering issues so I tore the front end apart to find out the lower ball joints were toast and have now been replaced.
While I had the front end apart, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade the steering so I picked up the teraflex high steer knuckle/ 1 ton off set TRE's along with a new drag link and tie rod (I opted for the steel instead of aluminum)

And I also added 2" pucks to the front of the jeep to get it to sit closer to level.

The front end is still not back together at the moment as im waiting to borrow a pitman arm puller so I can swap it out with a pitman arm that is drilled to accept the 1 ton TRE

corbin.black

My boss (wife) has approved an axle swap so over the next few months I will be collecting parts for the swap.
The plan is a 14 bolt rear (already have) with 5.38's, truss, disc brakes, ARB etc. The front is going to be a custom king pin built to the specs of a mid 90's Ford BJ 60 (so i can find shafts easily) and 40" MTR's, Teraflex pro lcg long arms with a 2-3" front stretch and hopefully only an inch or two more lift height. I purchased some stock 17" dodge wheels to get me buy until I can fund some beadlocks, which will most likely be racelines.

I've also found a buyer for my stock 44's so I don't have to worry about trying to list them on KSL and get low ballers offering me half of what they are worth.
My goal is to have everything done by the safari but we will see what happens

Bart

Nice meeting you Corbin. This Jeep looks great in these pics but they don't do it justice. Very nice build.