07/30/2011 Little Moab, AF or something near utah county(within 1.5 hours)

anzenketh

07/30/2011 5 Mile Snakes Area.

I was wanting to do some afternoon off-roading this weekend. I was thinking of doing something close to home that is why I picked AF or little Moab.

I have a stock(standard) WJ. I want to do some more easy trails as this is going to be my first time off-roading with me actually driving. Up to suggestions also.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Ummm, pretty much everything in either location that requires 4-lo will give you body damage, even more so since you have never been on a trail and may not even be familiar with engaging 4-lo. But if you want scenic, all of the dirt roads through AF Canyon will be a nice drive, be prepared for lots of dust. I'm not going back down until after we get a lot of rain.

anzenketh

Ummm, pretty much everything in either location that requires 4-lo will give you body damage, even more so since you have never been on a trail and may not even be familiar with engaging 4-lo. But if you want scenic, all of the dirt roads through AF Canyon will be a nice drive, be prepared for lots of dust. I'm not going back down until after we get a lot of rain.

Dust is fine. Dust I am prepared for. I am even fine with a few un-noticeable small dents. I am even fine with no going all the way up some trails.

My main goal seeing the sites that 2WD vehicles can't tread.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Several nice trails up AF that you can put it in 4WD that won't result in body damage, BlackZJ is exaggerating. Five Mile Pass might not be a bad option to just get out an see how it performs, but its not quite as scenic as AF and would be pretty hot. I'd steer clear of little Moab for now.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Several nice trails up AF that you can put it in 4WD that won't result in body damage, BlackZJ is exaggerating. Five Mile Pass might not be a bad option to just get out an see how it performs, but its not quite as scenic as AF and would be pretty hot. I'd steer clear of little Moab for now.

Which trails? Mary Ellen used to be easier but has become very washed out in recent years.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I think that 5 mile area can be nice.. Check out some of the old mines south of 12 mile pass, black rock canyon, etc.. that area is a nice area to check out in a stock rig.. lots to see (even if it is just desert..) Old RR tunnel you can drive through south towards Eureka.. Broad canyon.. just some nice exploring out there :)

Venture13

I am down for Little Moab. I will be on the boat at Utah Lake Saturday or Sunday I think, see what the lady wants. For the most part I need to test the suspension before the Delta comp and maybe find a few jumps. Little Moab is more about running the rock I think.

AFC American Fork Canyon is not that dusty and there are all sorts of trails a basic lifted 4x4 can make in 4 low with no body damage. Get a spotter out to help dodge or crawl over those boulders/sticks..

There is a trail above the Dream Mine I have access to. Land owner gives me the key for the gate, that which accesses the towers above Salem. It's a rough mountain road yet to see a Jeep or 4x4 in many years. Lots of little mines and history through out that area. I also know a good 3-5ft water fall to climb at a open recreation area down below.

anzenketh

The trail above Dream Mine Venture is talking about would be fun. I defiantly want to go their sometime.

If my Jeep can not make the Dream Mile trail stock then i am thinking of 5 mile pass see how it does.

I defiantly will not have anything but stock by this trip. As for tires I have a Sailum Terramax H/T for the front and Goodyear tracker 2 for the back.(Both All season radials) Would I need different tires I don't want to replace the Sailum Terramax as they are retentively new But I am willing too as I did not buy them they came with the jeep.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...There is a trail above the Dream Mine I have access to. Land owner gives me the key for the gate, that which accesses the towers above Salem. It's a rough mountain road yet to see a Jeep or 4x4 in many years. Lots of little mines and history through out that area. I also know a good 3-5ft water fall to climb at a open recreation area down below.

So what would it take to get an invite to a trip up there? I've long been interested in the history of Koyle's Dream Mine, I would love the opportunity to drive past in and up the road to the repeaters.

anzenketh

I'd get sliders before tires (or anything else for that matter).

Thank you for answering my question. I think I could easily talk my wife into some sliders. After all it protects the jeep.(And makes it look cool.)

This trip will be all out stock for me with all seasons. So if my stock can make it up dream mine (from what I am getting as long as I am a good driver it can) Then we will probably do dream mine. As long as we can get Venture13 to arrange it. Fall back will be 5 mile. Sounds so the next question is who is planning on coming and where shall we meet.

Venture13

I will see what I can do as far as catching the owner at his house to get the access key. If he is not home, no key. So let me try to arrange something before hand. I don't think he does much other than guard that Dream Mine, so odds are pretty good someone might in their compound area. lol

The road is a rather nasty washed out one, don't be scared of shear cliffs off the side just a foot or two from your rig.

See if I can get my girlfriend to ask the land owner in advance, since she lives down in Spanish Fork.

anzenketh

Thanks. If their are shear cliffs I don't know if a beginner offroad should be driving. But then again I may just dare it. If my dad is coming I am ok with him driving he has done 4x4 before. If not I might just be a spotter. Let us know what you find out. On the Dream mine trail.

If not we could do 5 mile from what I hear I should be able to do it.

Cherokeester

anzenketh, go out to 5 mile (the snakes area). You could probably round up some helpful folks on here to go out with you. It is just a good open area where you can work on your skills and have some fun.

anzenketh

Trip Desided going to 5 mile. (Snakes Area)

Cherokeester I am thinking you are right. Venture you can call of contacting the land owner unless you have already done it. The trip will be at 5 Mile in the snakes area. Next question is who is coming with?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Cherokeester I am thinking you are right. Venture you can call of contacting the land owner unless you have already done it. The trip will be at 5 Mile in the snakes area. Next question is who is coming with?

Wish I could come, I will be in Oregon all weekend for my ten year reunion.