Trip Report 1000 Miles in Baja - Trip Report

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love seeing other RME members heading down and exploring Baja, thanks for the detailed report Colton! :cool: You covered many places and sights I have been to & love, that canyon wash just after Coco's Corner is Calamajue Wash, one of my favorite places in that area!

Now you'll be thinking about the next trip back!

Coco

It was a fun trip for sure, I excited for the next one!

It was definitely a good time in SXS's, but we saw several Raptor groups, Jeep groups, and expedition groups.

I already have some changes planned for next time. I would like to put the spare off the back, I think this will help with weight distribution. The rack that @YROC FAB. built did amazing, but I think keeping less weight off the roof will help with handling. I climbed up there to get the gas tanks off, and I would keep those stored up there, but I will buy the mounting plate from Rotopax to make it easier to remove and put on. The front tank was a bit stiff getting on and off, and the mounting plate is sure to help that.

Last edited:

Coco

@Coco At any point did you feel unsafe? Can you post up the route you took? When is the best time of year to do this trip? My mind is really wrestling with this trip.
Yeah, no problem at all. I will post the itinerary and the map we used.

I was more worried at the border, and the military checkpoint than anything. I wasn't sure what to expect, but your mind always thinks of the worst that could happen, but Russ eased my thinking. He said, "don't go looking for trouble, and you will be fine." Sure there are still areas you avoid, but for the most part we didn't feel unsafe. I did take my OC spray and a pocket knife down with me (would it do much? Probably not, but could possibly defend against an attack/defuse a situation) I felt better with it. I was worried about my 6 month pregnant wife more than anything.

There was a group of 170 SXS's that went down the week after us. One of the guys forgot he had a gun in his truck and on his way back (broke, and was heading home early) got caught at the military checkpoint outside San Felipe, and they found it. He is still there.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah, no problem at all. I will post the itinerary and the map we used.

I was more worried at the border, and the military checkpoint than anything. I wasn't sure what to expect, but your mind always thinks of the worst that could happen, but Russ eased my thinking. He said, "don't go looking for trouble, and you will be fine." Sure there are still areas you avoid, but for the most part we didn't feel unsafe. I did take my OC spray and a pocket knife down with me (would it do much? Probably not, but could possibly defend against an attack/defuse a situation) I felt better with it. I was worried about my 6 month pregnant wife more than anything.

There was a group of 170 SXS's that went down the week after us. One of the guys forgot he had a gun in his truck and on his way back (broke, and was heading home early) got caught at the military checkpoint outside San Felipe, and they found it. He is still there.

Total feel for the guy...

BUT, how do you forget you have a gun in your truck when preparing and crossing an international border?

I've driven across a hundred or so international borders including the US<->Mexico in/out of Baja a few dozen times now. I take it no less serious now than I did the first time. Have your docs in order, your vehicle tidy and things go quick/smooth. Military checkpoints are the least of my worries when traveling in Baja. Other drivers being the top of the list. The most dangerous thing we do when traveling in Mexico... drive.

Coco

Total feel for the guy...

BUT, how do you forget you have a gun in your truck when preparing and crossing an international border?

I've driven across a hundred or so international borders including the US<->Mexico in/out of Baja a few dozen times now. I take it no less serious now than I did the first time. Have your docs in order, your vehicle tidy and things go quick/smooth. Military checkpoints are the least of my worries when traveling in Baja. Other drivers being the top of the list. The most dangerous thing we do when traveling in Mexico... drive.

How about ever? It’s straight-up irresponsible gun ownership. And I’m a gun advocate.

I don't disagree... but I'm even more vigilant about guns, prescription meds, long blade knives, ammo, shell casings, etc when I'm planning a trip to MX or internationally. Mexico prisons don't seem really fun imo.

Yep, I agree completely. My first thought was "how do you forget where one of your guns are?" but I also get that you have one in a vehicle and kind of space it. However, when crossing international borders, you have got to make sure everything is in proper order, that includes everything Kurt listed.

We had all our docs in order and ready to show going into MX. The only thing they asked for was the SXS registration, nothing else, not even our passports. I was kind of shocked. Going back they were obviously more thorough, but even then it was just passports.

I was definitely nervous driving in Mexico, and you can tell there is a lot of incidents with the amount of roadside memorials in the country, especially in a SXS. Chance of survival there would be slim to none.