125cc Dream bike build *Budget*

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
First this seat cover that looks like a Sharpei.
I fixed the upholstery while we watched a movie.
Nothing like the bang of a staple gun to keep your wife from falling asleep like she does in every movie we watch... Haha

Fixed

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
While I wait for new plastics to arrive, I thought I'd take a shot a stripping the paint off the tank before I buy a second hand one....

It would appear this tank has actually been 3 colors: Green, Blue and White... You know after the actually color it was supposed to be: YELLOW! ....some people...

On to the 3rd round of stripper.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Great thread! When I lived in Los Angeles in the early '90s my GSXR 750 was stolen. Before I got my next road bike, I picked up a KLR250 that needed a rebuild. I put street tires on it, fabbed up some rearset pegs, lowered the front end and ripped that thing through the canyons like a madman. I totally get your first post sentiment - "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.".

I could ride that thing downhill faster than full liter bikes. It weighed nothing, the tires I used stuck like glue and I could hold it pegged almost all the way down the mountain. I once passed a GSXR 1100 on the outside in a big sweeper and proceeded to leave him in the dust.

well, until the road turned uphill again...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dude I’m not sure about this one...

I can’t believe someone put up with that foreskin seat for so long!

Hahaha that's awesome.

I think the guy had good intentions, but didn't know you need to stretch the cover... or That you need more than 3 staples per side when you put a new seat cover on.

Besides the guy owned it since high school, his mom bought it for him in 2003!

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Put a bike bore kit in it. My buddy just bought a YZ250 with WR426 gears, Rekluse and Eric Gorr 295 big bore kit. One word for you. WOW.
Did he buy Donnie's bike because that's exactly the bike Donnie had.

Suzuki 125s are hard to do big bore kits on you have to send the cases out to be bored out because you can't fit a bigger piston through the bottom end.

I did have a YZ125 with an Athena 144 kit on it and it was a little mini ripper.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I know Donnie built it but he bought it from a guy in Layton

Guaranteed that's Donnie's personal bike he sold a year ago ish to pay for his knee surgery.

It's a sweet ride now days you could just buy a YZ250x and get a 300 kit for it he built one for himself before they were available.
IMO though it's no better than a normal KTM 300 if it only had 5 gears and no estart.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Soooo much better looking!
Thanks

It doesn’t even seem like the same bike! I can’t believe the tank turned out so well

Thanks I was surprised too. I had to scrape it a bit with a razor blade but that low density polyethylene that tanks are made of are pretty durable.

The P.O. said he put a new piston in it around 5hrs ago. I haven't put my tester to it yet but I believe him because it's got great compression rolling it over and I'll check it soon.

New levers went on yesterday too.