Official 12V Freezer-Fridges - Do they bring the heat?

neagtea

Supporting Member
I put a thermo in the middle.
I tried with and without drinks in it
I will leave it closed for a day then open for a quick check.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I put a thermo in the middle.
I tried with and without drinks in it

So the same results when full of drinks? As they don't have a fan they will cool down much faster on the perimeter which is lined with the condenser, thus it is to have it full of anything for maximum cooling. Can you put your thermo near one of the sides and see what reading you get? Like a household fridge/freezer you need to set it lower than the intuitive level, i.e. for fridge use 30-40* and for freezer use 15-20*. Keep me posted.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been saving my pennies and I'm almost able to afford the ARB 50qt :cool:

I want the ARB but I can't decide between the 50qt and the 63qt--its driving me nuts! I don't want to spend that much money and not have enough fridge space for my family of 4. At the same time the 63 costs ~$130 more and it takes up more space in an already cramped cargo area.

We do a lot of overnight and two night trips. 3+ days with the whole family (away from any services) usually happen maybe one to three times a year. Is the 50 big enough? Keep saving and buy the 63? Agh.... :confused:

Andrew

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
You can always supplement a 50qt with a regular cooler. Drinks or things that can handle a swim get the ice.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I have been leaving it at 25 this seems to be about right for beer.
I do want a blanket/cover.
I will give ya a call when I get some free time

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
When it comes to winches and fridges, I like the biggest one that will fit without having to re-design things to accommodate. So if the 63 will fit, rock it. If it is going to take up precious room, I think the 50qt could easily accommodate 4. I often camp for two with a 35qt and we leave at least 24 cans/bottles loaded into it underneath the food. If I needed more food it would be easy to accommodate. Keep in mind the ARB's also give you ~10qts of bonus space above the motor for things that need to stay cool but not cold. Perfect for ketchup, mustard, lettuce, etc. I've got both sizes in stock if you find your way down my direction and want to see them side by side or test fit one in your rig.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well, as I had expected my biggest regret with buying a fridge was not doing it sooner. It's a 9.9 on the scale of 0 to awesomeness. Thanks again Kurt :cool:

Hardcastle

I finally decided to pull the trigger and get a fridge. It's been on my list for years. I was eyeing an ARB 50 but I got a deal on the Engel MT45 i couldn't pass up.

Any recommendations on wiring this up? It will be going in the bed of a DC Tacoma with a shell. It seems pretty easy but I've read about some people having issues so i thought i'd ask. I was planning on running 10 gauge with an inline fuse directly off my battery. Grounding it somewhere close to the fridge. State Trailer Supply in Ogden had some descent quality cable and 12v plug but if anyone has used something specific that worked awesome for them let me know. Thanks.

Hardcastle

I just bought the specific Engel hardwire cable that has their special inline fuse in a holder. http://www.beveragefactory.com/refr...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COmzmqHOwrwCFRNp7AodPHgAGg Let me know if you decide to sell the Mt-45, my Mt-30 seems a little small sometimes!

Thanks. I saw that accessory but i'm going to need more than 9' to route it all the way back in my pickup bed. I figured it would be easier to make my own. Anyone know how long the cable can be before the drop in power becomes an issue?

DAA

I think you'll be okay with 10 ga. But I used #4 battery cable back to my bed, then a short run of 12 ga. to the outlets (I put one at the front and one at the rear).

I was preparing for any future needs with the battery cable and power distribution back there though. I really do think 10AWG ought to be fine. There are undoubtedly charts online to show the drop per foot, or you could just unspool however much you think you'll need and measure it yourself.

- DAA

Hardcastle

I ended up running 10 gauge in a wire loom from my aux fuse block to the bed of my Tacoma for the fridge. As usually I was just over thinking the wiring. I had previously read about some people having issues with the fridge draining their battery too quickly but I haven’t had any problems. The longest I went without starting the truck was just shy of 72 hours and my battery was still at 12.67 volts. I’d absolutely recommend getting a fridge to anyone interested. It proved awesome on my recent trip to in the Maze District of Canyonlands.

I also built a simple slide using 1” angle iron for the fridge tray connected to 2” angle iron using a 300 pound drawer slide. The angle iron is 3/16” thick and held up well on the rough roads out to the Doll House campground.
IMG_1660.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just bringing this back to the top after my EJS 2014 ARB fridge rental experience. I'll need to forgo my next 30-06 (it'll still get bought, just postponed) in leiu of an ARB fridge. I think I'll try the 50 qt in the "Jeep" and if it'll fit, I'll redo my toolbag setup again. :D