muleskinner

I just finished my new toy:D

6.5-284
Blueprinted Remington short action
Shilen select match barrel
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5 stock
Nikon 8-32x50 scope
20moa base

I had Match Grade Machine blueprint the action, chamber the barrel, install the new bolt knob and re blue everything.
They do incredible work, plus they are super friendly, fast and reliable.

I'm going to try and shoot it in the next couple of days.

1e6a7fe7.jpg

eeefb6e9.jpg

3b225cd4.jpg

c79c689a.jpg

865738b8.jpg

eeb0d507.jpg

DAA

Yeah Baby!

Twist? An 8 I'm guessing? Throated for VLD's perhaps? Can tell from the picture that the trigger isn't a Jewel, massaged factory, or a Rifle Basix maybe? Love the shifter, I see you ditched the Rem extractor too.

I like it!

I've been campaigning a 6-284 on the coyotes this season, it's built on a Nesika repeater. Using Lapua brass of course, I really like the case. The barrel on my heavy .243AI (17 lbs) is about shot out, thinking since I already have the dies and brass, I'll probably replace it with a 6.5-284 when it finally gives up the ghost, which won't be long... I use it purely for launching 'chucks at distance and the way those 140's cut the wind is just too tempting!

- DAA

muleskinner

Yeah Baby!

Twist? An 8 I'm guessing? Throated for VLD's perhaps? Can tell from the picture that the trigger isn't a Jewel, massaged factory, or a Rifle Basix maybe? Love the shifter, I see you ditched the Rem extractor too.

I like it!

I've been campaigning a 6-284 on the coyotes this season, it's built on a Nesika repeater. Using Lapua brass of course, I really like the case. The barrel on my heavy .243AI (17 lbs) is about shot out, thinking since I already have the dies and brass, I'll probably replace it with a 6.5-284 when it finally gives up the ghost, which won't be long... I use it purely for launching 'chucks at distance and the way those 140's cut the wind is just too tempting!

- DAA

Thanks Dave
Yep, good guess;) 1-8 twist. I took MGM a couple of dummy rounds seated with VLD's in Lapua brass. I have about 200 Horandy 6.5-284 brass from my Encore and it REALLY sucks. Lapua is the only way to go (as you know) The trigger is just a massaged factory for now. I'm really thinking about a Kepplinger set trigger for this one. The extractor was already installed by Gre-tan rifles.

I missed a dark black Coyote last Thursday after work. I walked into a new area, started calling, and had two coming in about 600 yards out. While I was watching them another dog ran past my right side about 30 yards out. I should have shot him but I got greedy and wanted to kill at least two of the three. They circled downwind and whiffed me and away they all went.:mad: Oh well, I guess that's how it goes sometimes but it sure makes for a long walk back to the truck.

Here are a few more

318b5098.jpg

340f66db.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member

- DAA

I've thought about the 6.5x284 also but after much thought I'll go with the 6.5x47.... There are a few guys in our gun club with the 6.5x47 and they are pulling world class 1000 yard groups out of them constantly and getting very good barrel life out of them.

I am looking at having some work done on one of my rifles and it sound like your really happy with match grade machine, have you had other rifles built by them before?

Last edited:

DAA

The extractor was already installed by Gre-tan rifles.

I missed a dark black Coyote last Thursday after work.

Arrghh... Those black ones don't present themselves very often. Only ever seen one, myself, and didn't get a shot at it. Hope you get another chance at him!

The 700 bolts I have with Sako extractors were all done by Greg too. Actually, Greg has been doing almost all my rifle work for quite a few years now. He's expensive and takes forever, but daaaang does he do nice work.

I've thought about the 6.5x284 also but after much thought I'll go with the 6.5x47....

I think the 6.5x47 is a great case too. Super high quality brass. And like you said, excellent barrel life too. For my application though, barrel life isn't that important, and the extra velocity possible with the larger capacity .284 case is appreciated.

I built a .20-250 just before the 47mm case became available. Works fine, does what it was supposed to do, and brass lasts okay, especially now that Lapua is making '250 cases (they sent me 200 pre-production samples for testing - it's GOOD stuff!). But, I really do like that 47mm case, a couple of my buddies have built .20x47's using it and I wish it would have been available when I was planning out my Big Twenty.

Anyway, yeah, if I was planning to shoot a lot of 1000 yd groups or bang a lot of long range steel, and I wanted my barrel to last more than one summer, that 6.5x47 would be looking pretty good.

Oh, and Merry Christmas! I'm just sitting here sipping coffee waiting for the kids to wake up :). I swear, I get more excited for their Christmas morning than they do!

- DAA

muleskinner

Damn!!!!! Nice weapon

x2! jealous! Congrats on the new addition to your 'family'. :D

Thanks!

I've thought about the 6.5x284 also but after much thought I'll go with the 6.5x47.... There are a few guys in our gun club with the 6.5x47 and they are pulling world class 1000 yard groups out of them constantly and getting very good barrel life out of them.

I am looking at having some work done on one of my rifles and it sound like your really happy with match grade machine, have you had other rifles built by them before?

I looked at the 47 pretty hard, but I really like the higher velocity of the 284. I have a 6.5-284 Encore barrel from MGM that shoots 1/2 MOA most days. I'm very pleased with MGM concerning this rifle. I supplied the barrel, old action and the bolt knob and they had it ready in one week and all of the machining looks great. I've always sent all my stuff to Gre-tan rifles for work but I decided to give MGM a try on this one.

NICE!
You can afford the rifle, But can't afford shoes... ;)
Sounds like it will quite the shooter.

It was a toss up, shoes for my daughter or rifle for dad..

Good thing you have that weapon to keep the boys at bay with your model.

LT.

The youngest of three:eek:

So I took it out today to break in the barrel. Shilen says it's not necessary but I do it anyway. I loaded 15 rounds with new Lapua brass, BR primers, Berger 140's and a light load of H1000. I cleaned between each round for 15 rounds:eek: I set targets @ 100 just for fun and I'm quite pleased with the results. (seeing how they are all fouling shots) I think when I get a load developed it will shoot one hole groups without much trouble.
81797a20.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
The joys of breaking in a barrel.... I'm going out today to break in the barrel of my new 338 lapua, and I hope to get it good on target. I'm still not set up to reload it as my reloading room is in rebuild, so I bought the cheapest box of ammo I could.... $70.00 a box.

I checked out the MGM website, will they do all gun work or do you know someone there? I'm thinking of swapping the barrel out on my 204 and doing a 6mm-223 and that would give me a good excuse to get out of the valley for a couple days.

muleskinner

The joys of breaking in a barrel.... I'm going out today to break in the barrel of my new 338 lapua, and I hope to get it good on target. I'm still not set up to reload it as my reloading room is in rebuild, so I bought the cheapest box of ammo I could.... $70.00 a box.

I checked out the MGM website, will they do all gun work or do you know someone there? I'm thinking of swapping the barrel out on my 204 and doing a 6mm-223 and that would give me a good excuse to get out of the valley for a couple days.

I'd be speeding up that rebuild @ $70 a box!

I didn't know anyone at MGM prior to this. I spoke with a guy named Kerry, I'm not sure if he owns the company or is the head machinist or what. He says they work on everything. I think 90% of the stuff they do is for Encores. I'd give them a call.