1976 Bronco - Frome Off Project

broncodan

For Your Viewing Pleasure
1977 Bronco - Frame Off Project

Hello Everybody, for those of you who I have not chatted with yet, I am currently in the middle of a frame off restoration on a 1976 Ford Bronco. I am pretty new to this site, but I really like it so far. Everyone has been so cool in answering my questions, and giving me there thoughts. I hope that someday I will be in a position where I can return the favor.

For those of you who are interested, I will show pics of my progress, and maybe tell you guys about some of my frustrations (I am sure there will be many). I want to hear your feedback, so PLEASE POST!

Okay, now to the good stuff - I bought a rolling chassis for a '76 Ford Bronco and got it about two weeks ago. It has a carb'd 351w, C4, dana 20 t-case, ford 9 inch, and a dana 44. I gotta get all the stuff off the frame, and get it in for sandblasting so that I can get working on repairing the body mounts, and grinding off old brackets and suspension components. WISH ME LUCK!

Attachments

Last edited:

broncodan

I was able to get the frame stripped of everything, expect this damn rear bumper. The PO welded it on here all sorts of crazy, and I am going to have to torch and grind it off. At least I feel like I am making progress. On Thursday I will pull the suspension out from under it, and then get the frame and axle housings in for sandblasting. I am trying to find a good place that is reasonable cost to do the sandblasting, so if anyone can recommend somebody I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

SnwMnkys

I attempted a frame off once on a 70 EB. Got it all done down to the frame coated in POR, but never could find a body that was in good enough shape to throw on it so i ended up selling the frame. Its alot of work, hopefully you have a decently rough free body.

broncodan

I actually bought the extreme fiberglass tub and front clip from wildhorses. It is amazing how strong and straight it is. They did a really good job with it.

OCNORB

Looks like it's gonna be a heckuva nice Bronco when your done!

I hope someone answers your question about the sandblasting. I need some wheels done. A call to a powdercoating shop would probably get you some leads.

broncodan

I have contacted Ameripride, and I have actually been referred to them by someone else as well. I think that is who I will use, I was just hoping to find someone on the south end of the valley to save some time. Thanks for the reccomendation.

broncodan

Well...the frame is at Ameripride for sandblasting. Now I get the joys of ripping apart the axles, get the housings blasted, and rebuilding those. I am running a detroit in the rear, but for the front I want a locker that I can "turn on and off". I am thinking ARB, but I know there are some electric versions out there. If anyone has anything to recommend I would be more than happy to hear your opinion.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
broncodan said:
Well...the frame is at Ameripride for sandblasting. Now I get the joys of ripping apart the axles, get the housings blasted, and rebuilding those. I am running a detroit in the rear, but for the front I want a locker that I can "turn on and off". I am thinking ARB, but I know there are some electric versions out there. If anyone has anything to recommend I would be more than happy to hear your opinion.
I am not an ARB fan, but I would take and ARB over and Eaton based on what I have seen in other rigs. I will not name names ;) , but I know a few people that have had problems with their Eatons. Watching them it appears that a tire must make a 3/4 of a turn rotation to lock, every time power is applied, even though the locker has remained on the entire time....I have observed this a few times. I am not sure how they work, I would like to know more, but for now, i am not impressed.

broncodan

That is good to know. I am not really an ARB fan either, but I have been out of the loop a little while. The last rig I built, I had to sell about 5 years ago and since then I have not had a wheeler. I have just had cars, so it has been a while since I have been around everything, and experimented with different parts. I just want to take my time and make sure that I will not be disappointed with whatever I choose. The thing I hate about ARB's is all the BS involved. Other than ARB and Eaton is there anything else out there? :confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Premium Member
broncodan said:
That is good to know. I am not really an ARB fan either, but I have been out of the loop a little while. The last rig I built, I had to sell about 5 years ago and since then I have not had a wheeler. I have just had cars, so it has been a while since I have been around everything, and experimented with different parts. I just want to take my time and make sure that I will not be disappointed with whatever I choose. The thing I hate about ARB's is all the BS involved. Other than ARB and Eaton is there anything else out there? :confused:

For a selectable, I think I'd stick to those two. I had an ARB in both axles in my XJ and would definitely buy them again. I was prepared for all the 'failures', but didn't really have any (that weren't related to my D30 looking like a banana, but I don't think that's any failure of the ARB) other than I blew a fuse to my compressor that I'd installed about 18 months before and couldn't remember where I'd put it. I got to wheel open diffed for a day and a half until I figured out where my fuse was (which was actually kinda fun, but I'm glad I did a milder trail (Metal Masher)).

****{I did not use the ARB harness where it requires you to lock the rear and then the front. I made it independant where I could lock either whenever.}****

I've heard similar to rckcrlr about the Eaton E-locker (probably from the same sources :D) but think they'd be pretty sweet on a trail rig. You don't need a compressor and you've already got a battery. From what I understand (and have quickly looked at in the diagrams available on the interweb), they are basicly an ARB type design, activated by a magnet.

The only other two selectables I know of are Ox and TracTech's Electrac. Both are activated by a lever sticking out of the diff cover that I don't care for and I've seen issues with the Ox's on the trail a couple of times on two different rigs. I have no experience with the Electrac, but they definitely promote that it's a limited slip when not locked. Not important to me, but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Dan, looks like a fun project. I'm in draper too if you ever need a hand. I also have a sand blaster cabinet at work, great for all those little things like my jeep seat brackets that needed some TLC.)

Jason

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Jay5.9L said:
Dan, looks like a fun project. I'm in draper too if you ever need a hand. I also have a sand blaster cabinet at work, great for all those little things like my jeep seat brackets that needed some TLC.)

Jason
There you go Dan! There's your new best friend! :(

broncodan

yellowjacket said:
I would recommend running a Toyota E-locker....Oh wait...You're building a Ford! Sorry man, guess not. :freak: :rofl:
Isn't this 'yellowjacket' just hilarious? I wonder if he will be laughing this hard when i'm pulling his toyota, as well as his buddies toyota out again, AT THE SAME TIME! :rofl:

Hey Jason - would that cabinet blast my power steering box? I just may have to take you up on that!