1976 Toyota FJ55 on Rockwells in Utah

Moose-mann

OK, my wife reminded me that I need to do something with the beast, so here I am again. I really would like to get this out of my garage before bad weather sits in.

This rig is really outside of my comfort zone and what my current off road plans are. I have twins that are turning 16 in six months and they are interested in getting into the hobby and so I really need to spend my time and money on getting them something going.

I am dropping the asking price down to $10,000 which is killing me but it is what it is!

I am also open to possible trades or partial trades for other land cruisers etc...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

I bought this rig about a year ago. At the time my off road interests were in a different place. But now my interests, as well as my life situation have changed and this just isn’t practical for me. So it is time to say goodbye.

I know this isn’t for everyone, but for the right person this could be an incredible rig. I obviously did not do the work on this truck, but I know the guy who did and it was done very well. This is a good solid rig with a ton of potential.

Buyer of course will be responsible for pick-up or shipping of the vehicle.

I am asking $12,000. Way less than time and money spent on it, but we all know that is the way it goes. I may also be open for appropriate trades but would like to sell it outright if possible.

I have never taken this to the trails. Shame on me. Runs great with plenty of power. Built with Four Wheelers Top Truck Challenge in mind, or take it to Moab and be an instant magazine feature.

Here is what I know about it. Please let me know if you have specific questions or would like different/more pictures and I will do what I can to accommodate your requests.

Drive train:
2000 Chevy 5.3L Vortec – 29k miles
Custom ECM
AFE intake
B&M TH350 – No miles
Winters Shifter
HD cooler
Howards torque convertor
NP203/205 doubled – rebuilt with no miles
Northwest Fab doubler and twin stick
Cased clocked for flat belly pan
High angle drivelines – 1410 and 1350 CV series joints
Rockwell 2.5 ton axles – 6.72:1 ratio
Detroit locker – not installed
Pinion brakes

Suspension:
Airbag 4-link 23” travel rear, 16” travel front individually controllable for forced articulation
Airbags have internal bump stops
Greaseable flex joints
Currie, Rubicon Express, Terraflex Currie Antirock sway bar
ProComp ES9000 shocks

Tires/Wheels
20x10 Military HEMMT two-piece with internal runflats (double bead-lock)
46” Goodyear 395/85R20 MV/T Military tires (plus one extra)

Additional (endless – it’s one of a kind)
AFCO Racing double-pass aluminum radiator, custom shroud
Howe/PSC/ Appleton full hydraulic steering system plus HD cooler
Custom DOM Cage / sliders tied directly to frame at all points
On-board ViAir compressor / tank
Rear bumper is an air tank with quick connect port
Milemarker winch mount
Smittybilt sport seats and locking center console with hidden radio compartment
Digital pressure gauge monitoring tank and each bag
Digital systems gauges monitoring all vitals
Herculined floors
Rustoleum Camo sand and olive paint for easy touch ups
I hope that helps. I am sure there is more so feel free to put on there anything your guys find etc…

These are the only things that I know to be an issue with it.

The transmission oil pan leaks. The previous owner told me that the guys who put it on for him did not put a seal on it. Easy fix.

The TC is hard to shift, although I am told that this is common with NP 203/205’s especially when new. I was told that this was probably because the TC was clocked to make a flat pan belly. I purchased a new Dual Stick cable shifter from Northwest Fab. The cable shifter works much better on the clocked TC’s. The new shifter comes with it but is not installed.

There is a slow leak in the air system somewhere. I believe it is just in some of the valve connections as some of them are loose. Easy fix.

The front windshield has a small crack in it and the passenger side window is broken.

For some reason the vivair compressor has started to run rough and not working well. I need to tear into it but haven't yet. Just so you are aware.

I do not have a title for it as the previous owner did not have one. However I went through all the hoops with the DMV and did get it registered as an off road vehicle and they gave it a new VIN. Officially with the state of Utah it is a non-titled Off highway vehicle. I have all that paperwork.

Attachments

• P1000468.jpg
    P1000468.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 144
  • P1000661.jpg
    P1000661.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 202
  • P1000662.jpg
    P1000662.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 143
  • P1000663.jpg
    P1000663.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1000666.jpg
    P1000666.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

airmanwilliams

stupid low price too. I drooled over this thing at the low range show n shine last year. Very cool rig.

dude steve we would need an 8 foot ladder to get in this. this thing was all flexed out last year and the show n shine and I will for the future buyer reiterate what has already been said about this, pictures dont do this justice so see it in person with some cash in hand and you will not be sorry.

Moose-mann

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It truly is impressive in person. I have been back and forth on whether to sell or not for some time now. It is not an easy decision but it just doesn't fit me anymore. Hopefully someone can put it to good use. I think it is more than a fair price for what has gone into the rig.

Thanks again!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I too know the guy that built this and it is incredibly well done. He spent a lot of time on every detail.
Good luck ob the sell kyle.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
that is an extremely cool rig!

If your hesitant to sell it......i wouldnt. You will regret it. Get that thing on the trail so you can appreciate it!

Moose-mann

Thanks Taco4Life,

It is a great rig for what it was designed for and $10k is a steal. But I just can't justify it right now. Here are a few more recent pics. I have many more if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Top of cage.jpg
    Top of cage.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Driver side floor.jpg
    Driver side floor.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Engine bay.jpg
    Engine bay.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 43
  • flat pan belly from the front.jpg
    flat pan belly from the front.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 52
  • Interior from drivers side.jpg
    Interior from drivers side.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 47

2many

Wow and ouch! Can't believe you're letting it go that cheap. I'm the guy that built this pig and I can assure you, WAY MORE than that went into building this! And with the bags deflated it fits into an 8' garage no sweat. Just need to get some details hashed out / dialed in and rally this thing at Top Truck Challenge! Anyone needing details, let me know. Happy to help get this into some good, local hands.

Moose-mann

Hey Scott,

Good to see you are still around.

Yeah, it hurts a bit to lose some money on the Beast but I am just not using it like it needs to be used and my wife says I have too many projects. I appreciate your willingness to help out with anyone who would like to know some details on the rig.

I would like to get this in the hands of someone local as well and willing to do what I can do make that happen.