Ford 1978 dana 60 spline count?

heinie_21

i found a real good deal on a detroit locker for my rear dana 60 on my cherokee. my only concern is i do now know what spline the stock 60's had. the locker i bought is for a 30 spline, and i'm told that is what MOST 60's come with.. my dana 60 is full float from a 1978 ford. does it have 30 spline? or 35? how can I tell b4 i buy the locker?

Last edited:

heinie_21

I also have a hp 44 up front from the same 1978 ford.. ive been told that most have 29 spline (if i remember right)
Can anybody tell me where i can find out exactly what spline counts i have?
thanks!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'd bet it's 30 spline, but it's easy to pull a shaft and count. Just take the 8 bolts out of the hub that hold the shaft in, and yank it out. You don't even need to take your tire off. I would stick a jack under that side to make the oil flow to the other side so you make less of a mess.

Caleb

Yep, I bet it's a 30 spline...it's most likely to be 30 spline, then 16 spline, then 35 spline. Stock 35 spline 60 rears are quite rare.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
jack the one side up really far when you pull that shaft. :D there's usually a good dollop of gear oil in the hub that makes a nasty little mess. :D